• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Blaspheming the Holy Spirit

• Members

Hi all, I'd like to post about the question of whether a believer can actually commit this.

From reading the Word, I have come to the point of believing this is something that the Pharisees and Scribes were doing and is rejecting salvation from Christ.. rejecting who Christ is to begin with.

Therefore I understand it to mean it is not something a believer can do. 

I am not 100 percent sure on this, so would like your input from the Word.

Thank you 

• Members

Jesus would physically have to be on the Earth doing miracles in front of you. The blaspheme of the Holy Ghost is saying Jesus performed miracles via Satan.

When the religious leaders witnessed Christ perform miracles then said he performed them by the power of Satan they sealed their doom. The miracles of the Spirit is what gave credence to Jesus' testimony in who he was.

We strictly believe by faith in the gospel. No miracles involved at all.

Even if this blaspheme could be done by a believer he is still sealed unto the day of redemption so he cannot lose forgiveness.

Edited by SureWord

• Members
12 hours ago, Jim_Alaska said:

I have always believed that a truly born again person cannot commit this sin. After all, the Holy Spirit that indwells believers would not allow it.

I think that 360watt is closer to the truth.

I think this was what happened to Judas, he walked with Christ, he knew Christ and believed in Christ, but he sold out to the devil like many Christians today. After they receiving Christ, they sell out to the devil, once save always saved, yes but don’t sell out the Holy Spirit for anything. This is blaspheming the Holy Spirit, in my humble opinion. Look what happened to Judas, it was better off not being born.

• Members
2 hours ago, E Morales said:

I think this was what happened to Judas, he walked with Christ, he knew Christ and believed in Christ, but he sold out to the devil like many Christians today. After they receiving Christ, they sell out to the devil, once save always saved, yes but don’t sell out the Holy Spirit for anything. This is blaspheming the Holy Spirit, in my humble opinion. Look what happened to Judas, it was better off not being born.

I'm not sure that Judas was ever a true believer in Christ. Christ himself said that he'd called the twelve, but one of them was the devil. He also called Judas "the son of Perdition." Christians, IMHO, cannot and will not blaspheme the Holy Spirit, because the Holy Spirit indwells them. 

• Members
28 minutes ago, BrotherTony said:

I'm not sure that Judas was ever a true believer in Christ. Christ himself said that he'd called the twelve, but one of them was the devil. He also called Judas "the son of Perdition." Christians, IMHO, cannot and will not blaspheme the Holy Spirit, because the Holy Spirit indwells them. 

This sounds good to me brother Tony, but those that aren’t saved, are doomed anyway or dead spiritually. How can blaspheming the Spirit harm them if they are dead, like I mentioned already.

• Members
14 minutes ago, E Morales said:

This sounds good to me brother Tony, but those that aren’t saved, are doomed anyway or dead spiritually. How can blaspheming the Spirit harm them if they are dead, like I mentioned already.

By attributing things to the Holy Spirit which the Holy Spirit hasn't done. Spiritualy dead doesn't equate to physically dead. These people will still have to be judged before the Lord. Many who are unsaved believe they are and attribute things to the Holy Spirit all the time. 

• Members

Blaspheming the Holy Spirit is the final straw for a lost person - it is rejecting the convicting and testifying work of the Holy Spirit to the point that they are no longer convicted of their need for salvation, and all that is left is greater judgement. Romans 1 speaks about certain lost who get to the point that God gives them over to their sins; 2 Thessalonians refers to those who reject the truth of salvation and God causes them to believe a lie; and Hebrews in various places talks about those who reject so great salvation, reject the only Saviour and His shed blood, reject the only way God gives for them to be saved - and therefore, they got to the point where they can no longer be saved. (I can give Scripture for any of these points if someone is not familiar with these passages.) That is the blasphemy of the Holy Spirit.

No true believer can do this - as they are indwelt by the Holy Spirit FOREVER and sealed unto the day of redemption, they have ETERNAL LIFE, NO ONE/NO MAN/NOTHING can take them out of the Father's or the Son's hands, all three members of the Trinity are for them, praying for them, working out their salvation. If God does not keep them saved, then He is a liar and His Word is not true - but we know the Lord ALWAYS keeps His Word.

Yes, knowingly attributing demonic works to the Holy Spirit would certainly be an application of this - BUT based on all those related passages I mentioned above, I do not think that blasphemy of the Holy Spirit is limited to that - and I do believe it can be committed today - just not y a true believer, but by a lost person who continually rejects all the light given them and chooses their sins and deceptions instead of the Saviour.

• Members
21 hours ago, Jerry said:

Blaspheming the Holy Spirit is the final straw for a lost person - it is rejecting the convicting and testifying work of the Holy Spirit to the point that they are no longer convicted of their need for salvation, and all that is left is greater judgement. Romans 1 speaks about certain lost who get to the point that God gives them over to their sins; 2 Thessalonians refers to those who reject the truth of salvation and God causes them to believe a lie; and Hebrews in various places talks about those who reject so great salvation, reject the only Saviour and His shed blood, reject the only way God gives for them to be saved - and therefore, they got to the point where they can no longer be saved. (I can give Scripture for any of these points if someone is not familiar with these passages.) That is the blasphemy of the Holy Spirit.

No true believer can do this - as they are indwelt by the Holy Spirit FOREVER and sealed unto the day of redemption, they have ETERNAL LIFE, NO ONE/NO MAN/NOTHING can take them out of the Father's or the Son's hands, all three members of the Trinity are for them, praying for them, working out their salvation. If God does not keep them saved, then He is a liar and His Word is not true - but we know the Lord ALWAYS keeps His Word.

Yes, knowingly attributing demonic works to the Holy Spirit would certainly be an application of this - BUT based on all those related passages I mentioned above, I do not think that blasphemy of the Holy Spirit is limited to that - and I do believe it can be committed today - just not y a true believer, but by a lost person who continually rejects all the light given them and chooses their sins and deceptions instead of the Saviour.

I nowhere stated it WAS the only thing..I just listed it as one of the things that is known to be blasphemy. But, I agree, there are other things that qualify for the blasphemy against the Holy Spirit.

• Members

BrotherTony, I wasn't saying you said that - just that there are specific people I have met/heard that say that it what it is. I was saying I believe it includes that, but is not limited to that.

• Members
41 minutes ago, Jerry said:

BrotherTony, I wasn't saying you said that - just that there are specific people I have met/heard that say that it what it is. I was saying I believe it includes that, but is not limited to that.

Sorry for the misunderstanding. That's what I get for posting on one hour of sleep and not enough caffeine! ?