• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Day 12 - Seven Reasons God Wrote To Believers

• Members
Numbers In The Bible Series
12 - Seven Reasons God Wrote To Believers

Day 12 - Seven Reasons God Wrote To Believers

In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. (John 1:1) Jesus Christ has many names: Alpha and Omega, King of Kings, Saviour, Messiah, etc. My favorite of His names is "the Word." The very words of God are given through Jesus Christ, the Word! There are seven times (meaning perfection) Jesus is called the Word in the New Testament.

John 1:1 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.

John 1:14 And the Word was made flesh, and dwelt among us, (and we beheld his glory, the glory as of the only begotten of the Father,) full of grace and truth.

1 John 1:1 That which was from the beginning, which we have heard, which we have seen with our eyes, which we have looked upon, and our hands have handled, of the Word of life;

1 John 5:7 For there are three that bear record in heaven, the Father, the Word, and the Holy Ghost: and these three are one.

Revelation 19:13 And he was clothed with a vesture dipped in blood: and his name is called The Word of God.

I also found it very exciting that the perfect Word would state seven times the phrase "I have written unto you"! None of these verses were written to unbelievers. God had seven specific areas He wanted the Christian to focus on.

(1) To warn us to stay away from certain Christians who continue in specific sins. But now I have written unto you not to keep company, if any man that is called a brother be a fornicator, or covetous, or an idolater, or a railer, or a drunkard, or an extortioner; with such an one no not to eat. (1 Corinthians 5:11) We are to stay away from anyone who is called a "brother." Paul used the word "brother" here instead of "unbeliever" like in 2 Corinthians 6:14. Apparently, there was an issue with believers continuing in certain sins. The Lord wants us to separate ourselves from those believers who are not living separated lives. The sins specified here are:

fornicators;

covetous (Noah Webster defines it as: "Inordinately desirous; excessively eager to obtain and possess; directed to money or goods, avaricious.");

idolater (Noah Webster defines it as: "A worshiper of idols; one who pays divine honors to images, statues, or representations of any thing made by hands; one who worships as a deity that which is not God; a pagan");

railer (Noah Webster defines it as: "One who scoffs, insults, censures or reproaches with opprobrious language.");

drunkard;

extortioner (Noah Webster defines it as: "The act of extorting; the act or practice of wresting any thing from a person by force, duress, menaces, authority, or by any undue exercise of power; illegal exaction; illegal compulsion to pay money, or to do some other act. Extortion is an offense punishable at common law.").

We are to separate ourselves from those believers who do not walk in righteousness. Don't let them contaminate you, my friend. Just because they are members of your church, it does not mean you should fellowship with them. This does not mean you are not to be nice, but it does mean you are not to have close fellowship with them. It is very easy to fall into the same sin. A little leaven leaveneth the whole lump. (Galatians 5:9)

(2) To warn us of those who add to salvation and promote false doctrine. Ye see how large a letter I have written unto you with mine own hand. (Galatians 6:11) Why would Paul throw this verse in the midst of this chapter? Despite his infirmity, Paul was compelled to write. What was so important? I believe the answer can be found in the next two verses: Galatians 6:12-13, As many as desire to make a fair shew in the flesh, they constrain you to be circumcised; only lest they should suffer persecution for the cross of Christ. (12) For neither they themselves who are circumcised keep the law; but desire to have you circumcised, that they may glory in your flesh. (13) Paul was so concerned about false doctrine getting into their church, he had to warn them. Those believers who were not Jewish were being told that they had to be circumcised to be saved. It must have been a common heresy because Paul had to teach this to the Romans as well. For he is not a Jew, which is one outwardly; neither is that circumcision, which is outward in the flesh: (Romans 2:28) But he is a Jew, which is one inwardly; and circumcision is that of the heart, in the spirit, and not in the letter; whose praise is not of men, but of God. (Romans 2:29)

(3) To warn us of false teachers. And account that the longsuffering of our Lord is salvation; even as our beloved brother Paul also according to the wisdom given unto him hath written unto you; (2 Peter 3:15) As also in all his epistles, speaking in them of these things; in which are some things hard to be understood, which they that are unlearned and unstable wrest, as they do also the other scriptures, unto their own destruction. (2 Peter 3:16) Peter warns us against false doctrine and false teachers - changing the Scriptures and wrestling with what they don't understand and twisting it into another gospel. There are many false teachers in our world today. All one has to do is turn on the television set and the stations are filled with false doctrine. Are you able to recognize them? Or do you simply take for granted that they are speaking the truth?

(4) To teach us stand firm on the Word of God. I have written unto you, fathers, because ye have known him that is from the beginning. I have written unto you, young men, because ye are strong, and the word of God abideth in you, and ye have overcome the wicked one. (1 John 2:14) John writes to us and gave us instructions on how to stand firm as Christians so we can glorify the Lord, Jesus Christ. The Word (Jesus Christ) left us His Word so that we would not be deceived. We have a firm foundation in the Word of God. It is through this Word that we can overcome Satan and his darts in our lives. When the Word of God is firmly planted in our hearts, we cannot be easily deceived.

(5) To teach us to recognize the truth and not believe lies. I have not written unto you because ye know not the truth, but because ye know it, and that no lie is of the truth. (1 John 2:21) God does not want His children to live in darkness but in light. God gave us His Word so that we could recognize a lie when we hear one. His Word is truth so we can rest assured that if we are in the Word, we won't be deceived. Sanctify them through thy truth: thy word is truth. (John 17:17) There are believers among us who are deceived by charlatans. These charlatans speak just enough truth but the rest is all lies. How can you recognize lies if you are not in the Word of God? God does not leave us defenseless, my friend. Nothing says it better than: Ephesians 6:14-17, Stand therefore, having your loins girt about with truth, and having on the breastplate of righteousness; (14) And your feet shod with the preparation of the gospel of peace; (15) Above all, taking the shield of faith, wherewith ye shall be able to quench all the fiery darts of the wicked. (16) And take the helmet of salvation, and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God: (17) All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness: (2 Timothy 3:16)

(6) To warn us against those who can seduce us away from the truth. These things have I written unto you concerning them that seduce you. (1 John 2:26) A Christian who is in the Word will be able to recognize what is a lie. However, what about lies which are spoken by those who are found in the midst of us? Are we so comfortable with our brothers and sisters in Christ that we could be seduced? Are you so strong in the Word that even a close family member cannot seduce you away from your beliefs? I believe this is where John was going with this statement. I have seen it happen time and time again where a Christian who did not have a definite and solid stand was seduced into contemporary "Christian" music, the tongues movement, etc. What about the desperate Christian with cancer who is looking for a miraculous healing? If that Christian is not solid in the Word, he will be easily drawn into believing someone who tells him that a certain man has the gift of healing. There are some right in our midst who can deceive the spiritually weak in our own churches. Satan is not stupid - he knows exactly who to attack and he will attack those within the church to divide it.

(7) To teach us that we have eternal life and we do not need to worry about losing it. These things have I written unto you that believe on the name of the Son of God; that ye may know that ye have eternal life, and that ye may believe on the name of the Son of God. (1 John 5:13) How many Christians have you known in your lifetime who have questioned his or her salvation? There are so many who doubt. The devil knows if he can get you to doubt your salvation, your testimony will be powerless - you will be ineffective for the cause of Christ. Do your children question whether or not they are in your family whenever they have done wrong? Of course not! They feel secure knowing that they will remain your child whether they are good or bad. How much more your Heavenly Father?

In these seven writings, we see the Lord speaking to us on:

1. Separation from ungodly Christians
2. Adding to salvation
3. False teachers
4. Standing firm in the Word
5. Recognizing truth
6. Those who can seduce us away from truth
7. Our eternal life is secure

Perfection is found in Jesus - Perfection is found in the Word.

How appropriately named is Jesus Christ when He is referred to as "the Word"! It is the Son of God, the Word, who has left us with an instruction manual, the Bible, so we can live Godly Christian lives.

In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. (John 1:1)

For there are three that bear record in heaven, the Father, the Word, and the Holy Ghost: and these three are one. (1 John 5:7)

Dear God...
How wonderful is Your Word
Each jot and tittle is pure
So Your child is well equipped
Our foundation strong and sure

Devotional by Kate Plourde

Edited by Jerry