• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Did Baptist preachers ever have more than 2 wife's at one time

• Members

Some OT believers had more than one wife - and we see the fallout and problems that caused. However, preachers are something found in the New Testament - and it is the New Testament that teaches clearly the Biblical example (especially for those in church leadership) is to be the husband of one wife. Of course, the primary context is referring to not being divorced and remarried, YET it would certainly cover not having more than one wife at a time too.

Also, for the sake of clarification, there were no OT prophets that were preaching the Word of God that ever had more than one wife (yes, David, Solomon, and Jacob all had more than one wife - but we are not given the Book of Jacob). I am not sure how David's and Solomon's writings fit what you are asking about; however, today, we have further revelation and instruction - especially when it comes to Christian conduct and the leadership and examples in the church.

• Members
1 hour ago, BrotherTony said:

Got the scripture references to prove that preachers had more than one wife in the OT or the NT? I don't think this is the case, at least not as far as I can remember.

King Solomon, comes to my mine right now. How did the Mormons and the Muslims started this tradition of many wife’s. King David also come to my mine but they are all in the Old Testament. In the new I believe there are none like you mention.

• Members
1 hour ago, E Morales said:

King Solomon, comes to my mine right now. How did the Mormons and the Muslims started this tradition of many wife’s. King David also come to my mine but they are all in the Old Testament. In the new I believe there are none like you mention.

The two people you mentioned weren't preachers, but were KINGS of Israel. Yes, the could preach in some form or another, but that wasn't their major function. Their having more than one wife wasn't usually anything to do with love, but with building alliances with other countries or peoples. The Bible tells us in 

1 Timothy 3:2

“A bishop then must be blameless, the husband of one wife, vigilant, sober, of good behaviour, given to hospitality, apt to teach;”

Titus 1:6

If any be blameless, the husband of one wife, having faithful children not accused of riot or unruly.

Edited by BrotherTony

• Members
3 hours ago, Jerry said:

Some OT believers had more than one wife - and we see the fallout and problems that caused. However, preachers are something found in the New Testament - and it is the New Testament that teaches clearly the Biblical example (especially for those in church leadership) is to be the husband of one wife. Of course, the primary context is referring to not being divorced and remarried, YET it would certainly cover not having more than one wife at a time too.

Also, for the sake of clarification, there were no OT prophets that were preaching the Word of God that ever had more than one wife (yes, David, Solomon, and Jacob all had more than one wife - but we are not given the Book of Jacob). I am not sure how David's and Solomon's writings fit what you are asking about; however, today, we have further revelation and instruction - especially when it comes to Christian conduct and the leadership and examples in the church.

The primary context is having one wife, not the divorce/remarriage.

Edited by Hugh_Flower

• Members

Your opinion. Every commentator I have ever read refers to divorce and remarriage in that passage. However, it is difficult to have more than one wife if you only ever married and stayed faithful to one. Regardless, the NT certainly is against polygamy.

• Members

Well, if the church is in the OT like many theologians teach, and the Baptist denomination is the true church the rest of Christians being only guests, then Baptist preachers in the OT had plenty of wives. David, an IFBer, had at least 22 wives and Solomon had 700 plus 300 concubines. 

• Members
17 hours ago, E Morales said:

16 hours ago, BrotherTony said:

The two people you mentioned weren't preachers, but were KINGS of Israel.

And what they did was in direct disobedience to God's Word as per the Law of Moses:

Deuteronomy 17:14-20 - "When thou art come unto the land which the LORD thy God giveth thee, and shalt possess it, and shalt dwell therein, and shalt say, I will set a king over me, like as all the nations that are about me; thou shalt in any wise set him king over thee, whom the LORD thy God shall choose: one from among thy brethren shalt thou set king over thee: thou mayest not set a stranger over thee, which is not thy brother. But he shall not multiply horses to himself, nor cause the people to return to Egypt, to the end that he should multiply horses: forasmuch as the LORD hath said unto you, Ye shall henceforth return no more that way. Neither shall he multiply wives to himself, that his heart turn not away: neither shall he greatly multiply to himself silver and gold. And it shall be, when he sitteth upon the throne of his kingdom, that he shall write him a copy of this law in a book out of that which is before the priests the Levites: and it shall be with him, and he shall read therein all the days of his life: that he may learn to fear the LORD his God, to keep all the words of this law and these statutes, to do them: that his heart be not lifted up above his brethren, and that he turn not aside from the commandment, to the right hand, or to the left: to the end that he may prolong his days in his kingdom, he, and his children, in the midst of Israel."

• Members
20 hours ago, Jerry said:

Of course, the primary context is referring to not being divorced and remarried, YET it would certainly cover not having more than one wife at a time too.

16 hours ago, Hugh_Flower said:

The primary context is having one wife, not the divorce/remarriage.

15 hours ago, Jerry said:

Your opinion. Every commentator I have ever read refers to divorce and remarriage in that passage. 

Actually, the primary definition and context is that he be a man/husband who is Biblically and relationally committed and devoted to only one woman/wife, which encompasses BOTH the polygamy issue and the divorce/remarriage issue, as well as wife abuse or neglect issues (dealing treacherously with her as per Malachi 2:13-14).  Indeed, the Biblical elder/overseer (bishop) "MUST be BLAMELESS," especially in his marriage relationship with his wife (considering that in both of the qualification passages of 1 Timothy 3 & Titus 1, the responsibility of his marriage relationship follows immediately after the necessity to be "blameless").  As such, the qualification to be "the husband of one wife" (to be "a one woman/wife man/husband") would encompass ALL of the Biblical truth concerning a godly marriage relationship.  (Note: I would contend that viewing the phrase, "the husband of one wife," only as being contrary to divorce/remarriage is a narrowing of the Biblical intention for the qualification.)

• Administrators

Well said bro. Markle, and something that most Baptists will not consider, given to them constantly listening to "commentators", as well as those with preconceived ideas. This is the epitome of biased teaching. Sadly, I have heard this taught in Baptist churches and no one thinks to even question it..

• Members
2 hours ago, Pastor Scott Markle said:

Actually, the primary definition and context is that he be a man/husband who is Biblically and relationally committed and devoted to only one woman/wife, which encompasses BOTH the polygamy issue and the divorce/remarriage issue, as well as wife abuse or neglect issues (dealing treacherously with her as per Malachi 2:13-14).  Indeed, the Biblical elder/overseer (bishop) "MUST be BLAMELESS," especially in his marriage relationship with his wife (considering that in both of the qualification passages of 1 Timothy 3 & Titus 1, the responsibility of his marriage relationship follows immediately after the necessity to be "blameless").  As such, the qualification to be "the husband of one wife" (to be "a one woman/wife man/husband") would encompass ALL of the Biblical truth concerning a godly marriage relationship.  (Note: I would contend that viewing the phrase, "the husband of one wife," only as being contrary to divorce/remarriage is a narrowing of the Biblical intention for the qualification.)

Yup. I agree, the main statement is about polygamy and the rest requires further study. ??