• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

How many Baptist Churches have you been a member of?

• Members
12 hours ago, 1Timothy115 said:

Member only 2 (1-IFB and the one I attend now IB). Tabernacle Independent Fundamental Baptist, Va. Beach, Va. and Decatur Baptist, Little Hocking, OH.

Attended many but only membership in the two above.

Did you know Ray Fulayter, John Kerr, Joel Spencer, or any of those who came there from MBBC to teach or administrate the college there?  Good church and college!

• Members
11 hours ago, Jim_Alaska said:

Brother Tony, This is the first I ever heard of a "head Deacon". The Bible lists the office of Deacon, I don't see anywhere, or justification for a hierarchy of Deacons. This could be and very likely was, the problem with the church you mentioned. No one man should have authority such as this. Even the pastor is to lead, not have authority over the church above pastoral authority. The ultimate authority in matters of church business lies with tis membership, that is the Scriptural way.

I should back off of the subject of deacons, it is pulling the thread off topic. I apologize for this. It seems like I just couldn't let the subject of undue power given to Deacons go.

I don't mind the interruptiion to the thread about deacons. In the church where I grew up, and in the church where the Bible college was, they didn't have a "head deacon." But, in many of the IFB and SBC churches I've been in, they have had a "head deacon." I don't think it's so much that the person is the head, but is the one who calls deacons meetings to order and tries to lead the discussion. That in and of itself can be problematic, or so I have witnessed. Yet, in only a handful of churches did the "head deacon" become so out of hand that they truly should have been removed from that office!

Remember, Jim, all these churches are autonomous and can call their deacons whatever they want, or try to place a deacon in the position of being "head." 

• 2 months later...
  • Members
On 10/15/2021 at 8:20 AM, BrotherTony said:

Did you know Ray Fulayter, John Kerr, Joel Spencer, or any of those who came there from MBBC to teach or administrate the college there?  Good church and college!

Sorry so long in reply...no I didn't know any of them. However, I was there before the 'Bible Institute' became a college. Dr. Rodney Bell was there he was founding pastor, Dr. Carl Beiber was the school administrator K-12, Chuck Cofty was assistant to the pastor, Dr. Homer Massey was dean of the Bible Institute.