• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Preaching on the mother of God, the virgin Mary

Go to solution Solved by Jerry,

• Members

Now we all know that Mary was Jesus earthly mother. Why don’t you ever listen or in years hear pastors or preachers preach a complete message on Mary, the mother of Jesus? Specially In a Baptist church, for she was chosen by God, but often is left out.

maria GIF 

• Members

The "mother of God" title came about from an overreaction to Nestorianism. Sometimes the brethren can be overzealous in fighting against heresy and come up with another heresy to combat it.

I've heard Mary the mother of Jesus preached about in IFB sermons but never as a stand-alone sermon. It's usually in context of a sermon about great women of the faith.

• Members

I think the title comes straight out of Catholicism - and most Protestants that use it (unless they are heretics) use it without thinking about it; however, it is a title that is idolatrous and should be avoided.

On another note, there is enough on the actual Biblical Mary that someone can do an excellent, Biblical, character study on her, her life, her faith and response to Gabriel (ie. response to God's message), her reactions to seeing Jesus in the temple at 12, her words at the wedding, seeing how Jesus accepted His brethren (ie. those saved) over His physical family, watching the events of the crucifixion afar off (and relating it to her song in Luke 1, about the sword piercing her own soul), comparing her song with Hannah's, her gathering with the 120 believers praying in the upper room).

I think some avoid preaching about her because of the many falsehoods told about her - but we should learn from what the Bible says about her as we would any other Bible character. You could preach on motherhood, on the events around Jesus' birth, on seeing those you love suffer, on how important following and obeying Jesus is - even use the passages about her to preach against false teachings on her.

• Members

I believe the most Baptist  churches also Pentecostal churches, are afraid  to preach on the life of the Virgin Mary. Became they are afraid that they might be exulting her in a way that she shouldn’t be exalted, but I believe this is incorrect, her life was chosen and was used in a very special way that’s why they say the Blessed Mary, for she was also chosen to be used by God. Like Moses

• Members
2 hours ago, E Morales said:

I believe the most Baptist  churches also Pentecostal churches, are afraid  to preach on the life of the Virgin Mary. Became they are afraid that they might be exulting her in a way that she shouldn’t be exalted, but I believe this is incorrect, her life was chosen and was used in a very special way that’s why they say the Blessed Mary, for she was also chosen to be used by God. Like Moses

I think that once again you are using the term "most" incorrectly against Baptists. I've not found this to be the case in either the Baptist churches or the Pentecostal churches. I've heard many sermons on Mary in the 50 + years I've been in the Baptist churches, and when visiting in the churches of my cousins that are Pentecostal. 

• Members

Morales, why do you keep calling her the Virgin Mary? She was only a virgin until the birth of her first child. She was a virgin - but is never called the Virgin Mary in the Bible. You are referring to her in a Catholic sense that is not right or appropriate.

• Members
6 minutes ago, Jerry said:

Morales, why do you keep calling her the Virgin Mary? She was only a virgin until the birth of her first child. She was a virgin - but is never called the Virgin Mary in the Bible. You are referring to her in a Catholic sense that is not right or appropriate.

I agree! I almost asked him if he was raised Catholic, Russian or Greek Orthodox, or Anglican. She had several children after Jesus.

• 1 year later...
  • Members
On 10/11/2021 at 9:15 AM, BrotherTony said:

I think that once again you are using the term "most" incorrectly against Baptists. I've not found this to be the case in either the Baptist churches or the Pentecostal churches. I've heard many sermons on Mary in the 50 + years I've been in the Baptist churches, and when visiting in the churches of my cousins that are Pentecostal.

I have an entire message on Mary. The title is: She changed outside as Jesus grew inside. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • Members

I think it's kind of interesting that other than Galations 4:4 saying that the Messiah was born of a woman (which I assume was a pretty normal way that people came into the world) that Mary is not mentioned by any of the writers of the New Testament Epistles. 

Edited by rstrats

• Members
14 hours ago, rstrats said:

I think it's kind of interesting that other than Galations 4:4 saying that the Messiah was born of a woman (which I assume was a pretty normal way that people came into the world) that Mary is not mentioned by any of the writers of the New Testament Epistles. 

I am only laughing at the parenthesis, and not your entire post.

• Members
On 10/11/2021 at 12:03 PM, Jerry said:

People know Mary, as the Virgin Mary. Mother of God (Jesus) Chosen by God. I see no problem. She later had children. Saying the Virgin Mary, is very important, for the virgin birth, and the earthly mother is correct.

• Members
2 hours ago, TheGloryLand said:

People know Mary, as the Virgin Mary. Mother of God (Jesus) Chosen by God. I see no problem. She later had children. Saying the Virgin Mary, is very important, for the virgin birth, and the earthly mother is correct.

Just so it's understood that she was not a perpetual virgin, which you've already acknowledged. The RCC won't. They are always elevating her above Jesus Christ. Sad, really. 

• Administrators
5 hours ago, TheGloryLand said:

Except that the title "virgin" is used with the gross misunderstanding that she was a perpetual virgin. She was not, and would likely be unhappy to know that she is known to so many as "virgin Mary."  God did choose her...but remember that she was told she would be blessed AMONG women. Not ABOVE them, as the rcc has extrapolated. Interestingly enough, Deborah WAS listed as blessed ABOVE women.  If we were to use those prepositions as basis for importance, Deborah was more important than Mary. 

Just so you know, my husband does preach about Mary - when God leads him to do so. I have also taught about her, just as I have many other ladies that are mentioned in God's Word.

Mary was privileged to be the channel through which Christ came physically into the world. Yes, that was an honor. But we need to remember that she was humble enough to know that SHE was not the important one.