• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

I highly respect pastors and preachers…

• 6 months later...
  • Members

I'm a layman/licensed preacher. When I was pastoring, if I didn't know the answer I always would tell the person to give me a few days to researcht the subject and what the Bible says. They were almost always willing to do so with very few exceptions. When they wouldn't wait, we'd study the subject together for a few hours. This seemed to work out quite well for me, and for them as well. Over the years, though, I have tried to study as much as I could on subjects that most pastors have mentioned that they've been confronted with. I would NEVER try to tell a congregant that I knew it all. It would be dishonest, and if they wanted an immediate response, they'd possibly, if I didn't know anything or very little on the subject matter, be getting an incorrect response. 

• Members

I don't know all the answers, but I know where to find all the answers in life, practice and doctrine, that the Lord would have us know.

Deuteronomy 29:29 The secret things belong unto the LORD our God: but those things which are revealed belong unto us and to our children for ever, that we may do all the words of this law.

I am not afraid to admit I don't know something or I need to dig in the Bible more to find out the answer or to refresh my mind on that issue - however, I would never attempt to preach on a subject or passage that I do not have a firm grasp on, as that could cause confusion to others.