• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

The first woman evangelist

• Members

As I listen or read about the woman at the well with Jesus, I believe that this woman could have been the first woman evangelist, for after she spoke with Jesus she ran back home to her small city and preached, could this be the Messiah this Jesus. Like today when people hear, many believe, and many believe her or not. Can this woman be the first evangelist in the New Testament?

Native American Love GIF by Hello All

• Members
1 hour ago, E Morales said:

As I listen or read about the woman at the well with Jesus, I believe that this woman could have been the first woman evangelist, for after she spoke with Jesus she ran back home to her small city and preached, could this be the Messiah this Jesus. Like today when people hear, many believe, and many believe her or not. Can this woman be the first evangelist in the New Testament?

Native American Love GIF by Hello All

@E MoralesInteresting post! In Philippians 4.3 Paul says: "And I intreat thee also, true yokefellow, help those women which laboured with me in the gospel, with Clement also, and with other my fellowlabourers, whose names are in the book of life." The example you gave of course predates that of Philippians and relates to the Lord Jesus Himself.

@E MoralesPF: Effecitve gif there...

• Members

Since being an evangelist is telling about the "Good News," I believe that honor would go to Mary Magdelene since she was the one to bring the news about the Arisen Christ to the disciples. Yes, there may have been others before her who openly spoke about Christ being the Messiah, but, these women were not talking about a risen, SAVING Christ. Christ was here to be the sacrificial lamb for the sins of mankind to bring mankind back to the Father. This was fully accomplished through his death, burial and ressurection. When Mary Mag saw him at the grave and he was arisen, this made her the logical choice. Of course, as with any of them...it is pure opinion.

• Members
28 minutes ago, BrotherTony said:

Since being an evangelist is telling about the "Good News," I believe that honor would go to Mary Magdelene since she was the one to bring the news about the Arisen Christ to the disciples. Yes, there may have been others before her who openly spoke about Christ being the Messiah, but, these women were not talking about a risen, SAVING Christ. Christ was here to be the sacrificial lamb for the sins of mankind to bring mankind back to the Father. This was fully accomplished through his death, burial and ressurection. When Mary Mag saw him at the grave and he was arisen, this made her the logical choice. Of course, as with any of them...it is pure opinion.

You are correct, Jesus was still in His ministry and now yet had risen. But did not those that follow scriptures in the Old Testament , believe that the lamb of God will come and takes away the sins of the World. Like John the Baptist preached, I know John is in the New Testament. This lady at the well knows of a Messiah that was to come to save Israel, the chosen ones. This young lady had to attend Bible study in her days…. ? 

• Members
12 hours ago, E Morales said:

You are correct, Jesus was still in His ministry and now yet had risen. But did not those that follow scriptures in the Old Testament , believe that the lamb of God will come and takes away the sins of the World. Like John the Baptist preached, I know John is in the New Testament. This lady at the well knows of a Messiah that was to come to save Israel, the chosen ones. This young lady had to attend Bible study in her days…. ? 

You did not specify OT or NT....They looked forward to the cross, just as we look back to the cross. Yet, Christ had not come. They lived under the law and the sacrifices set forth in the law of the OT. Most Jews attended the synagogue, so they should have had full knowledge of what was prophesied about the Christ...yet many had their eyes blinded to the truth. I still consider Mary Magdalene as the first woman evangelist...And, as I stated, it's all opinion at this point with no way to prove WHO was the first woman evangelist.