• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Do you have any problem with this photo?

• Members
2 hours ago, Bouncing Bill said:

No one. But the woman in the photo is holding an assault rifle and a Bible. The only purpose of this rifle is to kill people. So, as she is holding a Bible I want to know where in the Bible it is justified to kill people. Can you give me an answer?

To' me it is a sin to show the Bible and at the same time show it is acceptable to kill people. Show me where in the Bible this would be acceptable. 

I seen a great movie one time where Christian men got together to pray with their Bible before going out to battle. This doesn’t count right. It was just a movie, you are confusing our great bravery of our bothers and sisters in Christ, those  that went to war for our freedom. By then carrying their weapons you are calling them killers, you go to Afghanistan and minister to them having nothing to defend yourself with. Let me know how it works for you. 

Edited by E Morales

• Members
6 minutes ago, E Morales said:

I seen a great movie one time where Christian men got together to pray with their Bible before going out to battle. This doesn’t count right. It was just a movie, you are confusing our great bravery of our bothers and sisters in Christ, those  that went to war for our freedom. By then carrying their weapons you are calling them killers, you go to Afghanistan and minister to them having nothing to defend yourself with. Let me know how it works for you. 

And then there are the millions of dollars, or billions perhaps, of dollars of opiates and other drugs brought back through military channels and others opened up by the 'war' ,  to young people and old people in the Untied states causing more harm than good.    The ones who made a lot of money or wanted more power and had the power to do so started the war(s),  and made massive amounts of money. 

Some who went without the wrong motives of course ,  but many went AWOL when they found out they were just killing innocent people over there and protecting the opium crops.

They might have been brave,  yes.   But the reason they were sent there was not the reason they went there, if they were honest folk,  unaware of the powers in control and the purpose of the war(s) and action(s).

• Members

Perhaps you did not realize that the opium, heroin, and other so-called illegal drugs are not a recognized part of pharmakeia (pharmacy) in the Untied states ?    It is entirely a different ball game,  although they may or may not be entertwined with each other. 

People are tricked into thinking the 'legal' pharmaceutical industry is somehow beneficial ?   

People usually don't think the drug trade in opium and heroin and such is beneficial at all,  except the ones making billions of dollars a day or week or whatever in it.

Soldiers of every rank reported the massive drug trade / channels / at all the wars we participated in since the Korean War or thereabout,  maybe more.  (i.e. it is not a secret at all) 

• Members
3 minutes ago, Martyr_4_FutureJoy said:

Perhaps you did not realize that the opium, heroin, and other so-called illegal drugs are not a recognized part of pharmakeia (pharmacy) in the Untied states ?    It is entirely a different ball game,  although they may or may not be entertwined with each other. 

People are tricked into thinking the 'legal' pharmaceutical industry is somehow beneficial ?   

People usually don't think the drug trade in opium and heroin and such is beneficial at all,  except the ones making billions of dollars a day or week or whatever in it.

Soldiers of every rank reported the massive drug trade / channels / at all the wars we participated in since the Korean War or thereabout,  maybe more.  (i.e. it is not a secret at all) 

I’m glad I didn’t watch your ? movie. 

• Members
37 minutes ago, Brother Stafford said:

1. I'm not a fan of intentionally using God, or His Word, for politically divisive posturing.  It appears that this woman is using God's Word as a prop for the purpose of exhibiting self righteousness and intentionally aggravating those who disagree with her.  A visual representation of the bumper sticker, "God, Guns & Country."  However, that is not what Scripture is fo

I'm with you on that. 

I remember feeling a little annoyed when Trump walked across the road from the white house (or wherever he was) and held that bible up while standing on the sidewalk. I'm not trying to bash Trump by any means but the few times I heard questions posed to him about the bible he side stepped the question by just kind of summarizing basic beliefs, and not to ,mention the biblical interpretations of his faith mentors like Paula White.

When he did that it wasn't for the Christians be ause he already had their support for the most part so it felt like he was antagonizing the leftists more than anything. I'm sure Christianity didn't get any new believers because of that and most likely pushed people further way from Jesus since it felt like a political move.

Edited by Disciple.Luke

YES!

This is wrong in so many ways that i won't bother to explain.

i sincerely hope you would bring this topic down if you can, remove it or if you can't, ask the administrators to do so.

It is plainly in contrast with everything the Bible teaches.

Do not forget, 'Thou shalt not kill'. Take this and apply it and that would be enough for you to understand, if you did not or have not yet, it is un-Christian.

i will pray for you and your soul.

Bless your hearts,

Totoo

Edited by Totoosart

PS:

In addition to that, do you not recall the two commandments Jesus Christ gave us?

The first one is of course 'Love the Lord your God with all your might, . . .'

The second one is 'Love your neighbour like yourself.'

I cannot understand why a true Christian would take arms against anyone, when Jesus says, love your enemy!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Members
5 hours ago, Totoosart said:

YES!

This is wrong in so many ways that i won't bother to explain.

i sincerely hope you would bring this topic down if you can, remove it or if you can't, ask the administrators to do so.

It is plainly in contrast with everything the Bible teaches.

Do not forget, 'Thou shalt not kill'. Take this and apply it and that would be enough for you to understand, if you did not or have not yet, it is un-Christian.

i will pray for you and your soul.

Bless your hearts,

Totoo

How you feel if someone said to you, let remove this website site, it’s against what we believe. It’s okay not to agree here.

• Administrators
On 9/11/2021 at 2:52 AM, Disciple.Luke said:

I remember feeling a little annoyed when Trump walked across the road from the white house (or wherever he was) and held that bible up while standing on the sidewalk.

That did irk me as well, as I'm not sure if he is a Christian or not, but it seems most of his life was not Christian and it did seems that he used the Bible as a prop. 

This girl in the OP picture on the other hand, I know nothing about her. Does anyone know... has she killed or threatened to kill someone? Is the Bible part of her everyday life at work and/or school, or did she just grab one for the photo?  I honesty don't know so I give the benefit of the doubt instead of casting stones at her.

• Members
2 hours ago, PastorMatt said:

That did irk me as well, as I'm not sure if he is a Christian or not, but it seems most of his life was not Christian and it did seems that he used the Bible as a prop. 

This girl in the OP picture on the other hand. I know nothing about her. Does anyone know... has she killed or threatened to kill someone? Is the Bible part of her everyday life at work and/or school, or did she just grab one for the photo?  I honesty don't know so I give the benefit of the doubt instead of casting stones at her.

Not a Christian president but he surely did support them and Israel. More then any other, that a plus for me.

• Members
On 9/11/2021 at 6:04 AM, Brother Stafford said:

It is clear that, many times, in the Old Testament, God found it appropriate for certain people to kill other people; even after He gave the commandment, “Thou shalt not kill;” as in the commands to kill the Canaanites and the Amalekites and for the reason of committing sins worthy of death; but it was when He commanded it.

Think of a parent telling their child not to go into the street.  It’s a rule they have made for their child; except for when the parent holds the child’s hand and crosses the street with them.  The rule still applies, but the parent has the authority to apply exceptions for specific reasons.

Paul, in Romans 13:1-4 and Acts 25:10-11, seems to support the right of the state to use capital punishment appropriately.

In Luke 22:36-38, Christ tells His disciples to buy swords and, when they tell Him that they already have two of them, He says, “It is enough.”  He tells twelve disciples that two swords are enough; so, it would seem that, whatever His reason was for telling them to have swords, He didn’t seem to be telling them to rely on them, but, rather, to rely on the sword of the spirit; the Word of God.  If anything, those verses could be used to make a case against stockpiling weapons.

I believe that Matthew 26:52 pertained to the disciples defending Christ with weapons.  He says, in the very next verse, that He could ask God to send legions of angels for that, if that’s what He wanted.

By applying various other verses to the subject, I believe that Christ was telling His disciples to have weapons to defend themselves against certain kinds of violence.

I think of it like this:  If I walk into a store and a gunman is threatening to kill people, it is my duty to use deadly force, if necessary, to end the threat.

If a shooter is going through a school, and is shooting people, it is my duty to use deadly force, if necessary, to stop them.

If a gunman is holding someone at gunpoint and says that they will kill them unless I renounce my faith, if I am unarmed and unable to stop them, I would offer myself as a substitute; but if that was not accepted, then I must maintain my faith and let the gunman do what he will; but, if I also am armed, then it is my duty to end the threat.

In short, I believe that it is a Christian’s duty to save lives that are being threatened, unless unable to do so or if doing so would require him to renounce his faith.

I do not, however, see any value in boasting about such things or finding joy in them.  I find even the practice of hunting for pleasure and hobby, most distasteful.  I believe we should be grateful for being able to provide for ourselves and our families, if that’s how we do it, or for being able to defend ourselves and others, but I don’t believe we are to use them as entertainment.

Lest anyone think I am anti gun, I say these things as someone who carries concealed whenever I leave my house, and have been doing so for the past twelve years, but I pray to God that I will never have occasion to use it and, so far, I never have.  I also keep the fact that I even own a weapon to myself and only a handful of people in my life even know about it.

While I don’t believe it is sinful to display, “Come and take it,” or other 2nd amendment kitsch, I find it to be a foolish and prideful display of machismo and that it does nothing for the cause of Christ.

I am not dogmatic about any of this; this is just how I understand the scriptures.  I am always open to correction and instruction and, if I have misunderstood the Word of God, I will alter my beliefs accordingly.

*edit - David Cloud’s thoughts on the Old Testament commands to wipe out certain people are very helpful.  They can be read here: “Is the God of the Old Testament Cruel?

*note that most, if not all, of the reasons given for God’s judgement on those nations are being committed, in one way or another, by America.

I'm all for our right to own and carry guns especially for self defense purposes.

Back when people were walking into churches and killing the worshippers for no reason and without restraint I liked the idea that we had off duty officers in the pews with concealed guns just in case.

When I started to hear that some Pastors decided to carry guns while preaching the sermon it didn't feel right to me. Just the idea of the Shepherd carrying a Glock as opposed to a "staff" felt a little hypocritical to me.

My opinion later changed after I met Pastor  "Mac". Somehow in our conversation he mentioned to me that he had his gun on him every Sunday. I don't remember my exact response but I know I inquired why he felt it was necessary for him to be armed when there were other men who brought guns too. He basically explained that the reason was that he believed it was his responsibility to not only protect the flock spiritually but physically as well. He also brought up that because of the lay out of the building and sanctuary entrance he would be the first person to see a threat and react to it. After getting to know Mac I felt completely different about Pastors arming themselves.

I'm sure many Pastors feel a responsibility to protect their congregations during church services. I was glad Mac wanted to protect us during worship, but it was a situation that occured outside of church that made me realize that my Pastors concern for his congregation went far beyond 40 minute talks and hospital visits.

There was a situation about two years ago where my brothers wife's ex-husband told him that he was going to come to their house and kill everyone Including his own children. Being that my younger brother and I have been as  close to each other as any siblings could possibly be I was going to stand with and share the threat with him without hesitation. I suggested that we have his wife and the three children go stay at a hotel and I was going to spend the night there with him Incase the ex acted on the threat. 

I called Mac later that day to explain the situation and asked him if he would please pray for our safety. He assured me that he would. To my surprise after he prayed he them immediately asked if I needed him to come over, bring his gun and insert himself in a very real and dangerous situation by staying the night to face the potential threat with us. There aren't words that even begin to describe how thankful and emotionally touched I was that my spiritual leader was willing to risk his life without hesitation out of concern of me being harmed or worse.

Despite how grateful I was for his willingness to help I in turn declined his offer. This was man who I already respected as a preacher,  a missionary, a student of the Bible, a mentor, an author, etc.. and now as protector. It's really unfortunate that non believers only get exposed to Christianity through church scandals, televangelist frauds, abuse claims, and the nice preachers who don't judge people by not confronting sin because he loves you SO much that he don't even want to hurt your feelings. I'd be willing to bet that the majority of those pastors who seem sensitive, always positive, and are so loving that they would NEVER judge anyone aren't so "loving and caring" during the week once the office hours close. Many of them probably wouldn't even come help you change  a flat tire even if it deflated right in front of their house. They will tickle your ears by saying what they think you want to hear so church becomes a place where you come to hear how great you are every week so they can get paid.

All the wrong "Christians" end up getting all the attention for all the wrong reasons and the non believers see it. Meanwhile they never hear bout the Pastor of a small church in a insignificant town. The leader who prefers you call him "Mac" instead of his religious title, and has a daughter going through a rough divorce like most imperfect normal families. He's the kind of man that just might confront your hidden sin in a sermon and you think he's personally attacking you or being too judgemental. The truth can hurt but it's still the truth and some pastors love you enough to tell it to you. 

"This is my commandment, That ye love one another, as I have loved you.

Greater love hath no man than this, That a man lay down his life for his 

friends".        - John 15:12,13

On 9/11/2021 at 6:04 AM, Brother Stafford said:

It is clear that, many times, in the Old Testament, God found it appropriate for certain people to kill other people; even after He gave the commandment, “Thou shalt not kill;” as in the commands to kill the Canaanites and the Amalekites and for the reason of committing sins worthy of death; but it was when He commanded it.

Think of a parent telling their child not to go into the street.  It’s a rule they have made for their child; except for when the parent holds the child’s hand and crosses the street with them.  The rule still applies, but the parent has the authority to apply exceptions for specific reasons.

Paul, in Romans 13:1-4 and Acts 25:10-11, seems to support the right of the state to use capital punishment appropriately.

In Luke 22:36-38, Christ tells His disciples to buy swords and, when they tell Him that they already have two of them, He says, “It is enough.”  He tells twelve disciples that two swords are enough; so, it would seem that, whatever His reason was for telling them to have swords, He didn’t seem to be telling them to rely on them, but, rather, to rely on the sword of the spirit; the Word of God.  If anything, those verses could be used to make a case against stockpiling weapons.

I believe that Matthew 26:52 pertained to the disciples defending Christ with weapons.  He says, in the very next verse, that He could ask God to send legions of angels for that, if that’s what He wanted.

By applying various other verses to the subject, I believe that Christ was telling His disciples to have weapons to defend themselves against certain kinds of violence.

I think of it like this:  If I walk into a store and a gunman is threatening to kill people, it is my duty to use deadly force, if necessary, to end the threat.

If a shooter is going through a school, and is shooting people, it is my duty to use deadly force, if necessary, to stop them.

If a gunman is holding someone at gunpoint and says that they will kill them unless I renounce my faith, if I am unarmed and unable to stop them, I would offer myself as a substitute; but if that was not accepted, then I must maintain my faith and let the gunman do what he will; but, if I also am armed, then it is my duty to end the threat.

In short, I believe that it is a Christian’s duty to save lives that are being threatened, unless unable to do so or if doing so would require him to renounce his faith.

I do not, however, see any value in boasting about such things or finding joy in them.  I find even the practice of hunting for pleasure and hobby, most distasteful.  I believe we should be grateful for being able to provide for ourselves and our families, if that’s how we do it, or for being able to defend ourselves and others, but I don’t believe we are to use them as entertainment.

Lest anyone think I am anti gun, I say these things as someone who carries concealed whenever I leave my house, and have been doing so for the past twelve years, but I pray to God that I will never have occasion to use it and, so far, I never have.  I also keep the fact that I even own a weapon to myself and only a handful of people in my life even know about it.

While I don’t believe it is sinful to display, “Come and take it,” or other 2nd amendment kitsch, I find it to be a foolish and prideful display of machismo and that it does nothing for the cause of Christ.

I am not dogmatic about any of this; this is just how I understand the scriptures.  I am always open to correction and instruction and, if I have misunderstood the Word of God, I will alter my beliefs accordingly.

*edit - David Cloud’s thoughts on the Old Testament commands to wipe out certain people are very helpful.  They can be read here: “Is the God of the Old Testament Cruel?

*note that most, if not all, of the reasons given for God’s judgement on those nations are being committed, in one way or another, by America.

Sorry guys I accidentally posted the same post twice and it merged the two

Edited by Disciple.Luke