• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Do you have any problem with this photo?

5 minutes ago, PastorMatt said:

Same with a sword. They were made to kill, that is why swords are made for battle. 

And Jesus called Peter to task for using his sword. Nowhere does Christ condone killing others. Indeed, the Bible and Christ teaches pacificism.

Proverbs 25

21  If your enemy is hungry, give him bread to eat,

and if he is thirsty, give him water to drink,

22  for you will heap burning coals on his head,

and the Lord will reward you.

Christ said to 

love your enemy

turn the other cheek

go the extra mile. 

Repay no one evil for evil, but give thought to do what is honorable in the sight of all.

Nothing in Jesus Sermon on the Mount gives permission to kill. 

Either put your faith in Christ or in your weapons. You cannot do  both. 

Jesus denied using violence.

John 18:36 ESV / 270 helpful votes Helpful Not Helpful

Jesus answered, “My kingdom is not of this world. If my kingdom were of this world, my servants would have been fighting, that I might not be delivered over to the Jews. But my kingdom is not from the world.”

• Administrators

Jeff, are you seriously almost indicating that the owner of this board may be lying? You almost demand that he provide "evidence" for what he said about people getting saved here.

You are drawing very close to being shut out of this site.

• Administrators
5 minutes ago, Bouncing Bill said:

And Jesus called Peter to task for using his sword. Nowhere does Christ condone killing others. Indeed, the Bible and Christ teaches pacificism.

Your arguing a point that nobody is arguing or disagreeing with. Too funny really. You created an argument, then debate that argument you created. :42_confused:

4 minutes ago, Jim_Alaska said:

Jeff, are you seriously almost indicating that the owner of this board may be lying? You almost demand that he provide "evidence" for what he said about people getting saved here

I'm starting to think Bill and Jeff are the same person. lol

@Bouncing Bill For the 1,2454,544,144,654,554,222,445 time please follow the board rules and use KJV.

• Administrators

Bill, the subject at hand which was advocated by you is that the gun shown is an "assault weapon". You, like many before you, consider anything that looks mean an assault weapon, just by its looks. Others commented that a sword can qualify as an assault weapon. So, true to your colors you once again deflect and try to get the thread going in another direction. Not all guns are made for killing and not all guns kill.

As I said in one of my first replies to you; Assault is an action, not a device.

6 minutes ago, PastorMatt said:

Your arguing a point that nobody is arguing or disagreeing with. Too funny really. 

I don't think they are the same person; but they both have minds that zero in on certain specific things to the exclusion of anything else. I think this is called a "one track mind".

• Administrators
3 minutes ago, Jim_Alaska said:

I don't think they are the same person; but they both have minds that zero in on certain specific things to the exclusion of anything else. I think this is called a "one track mind".

I guess that is more what I was referring to. Too much alike in I'm right everyone else is wrong mentality.

• Members
2 minutes ago, Jim_Alaska said:

Jeff, are you seriously almost indicating that the owner of this board may be lying? You almost demand that he provide "evidence" for what he said about people getting saved here.

You are drawing very close to being shut out of this site.

Why do you think that ?  

Even the Apostles in the KJV Bible said clearly to prove everything even if an Apostle sent by God said it, and something to the effect, at times anyway,  of having two or more witnesses as well.

It seems direct questions and answers ought to be welcome and practiced in all honesty and integrity and forthrightness in any group of believers.  

I have continually sought for anyone,  any post,  any reference to anyone ever being saved by online sites or resources for over a decade.  

If anyone can present this,  good and well.  Best of course if someone who is a member on any site is able to post it themselves that they were saved (if possible).  If not,  no worries per se.   I will keep looking, watching , and testing as the Bible says to do.

Same if someone want to know how to cure , for instance,  scurvy.    Will they just take an anonymous internet source without verification as proof,  or will they keep seeking validation for the cure ? 

• Administrators
2 minutes ago, Martyr_4_FutureJoy said:

Even the Apostles in the KJV Bible said clearly to prove everything even if an Apostle sent by God said it, and something to the effect, at times anyway,  of having two or more witnesses as well.

Then why you browsing the forum in "Hidden" mode? ?

• Administrators

If brother Matt knows of people who have been saved here, that is good enough and his saying it is a reply. It would seem that just because a person that was saved does not reply to you, that it just isn't valid. Did you ever stop to think that that or any other saved person may have never even returned to this site?

But for you to indicate that you question the truthfulness of Bro. Matt's reply is simply wrong and un-Christ like.

• Members
2 minutes ago, PastorMatt said:

Then why you browsing the forum in "Hidden" mode? ?

Why not ?   I usually forget visitors and some members cannot see if I am online or not.   When I am finished posting,  I usually log off. 

Notice I am not quiet. (i.e. while posting regularly,  it is obvious to other posters I am not "Hidden". )

I have answered questions in a timely manner,  instead of side-stepping them.     

Sometimes members wait until I log off before they will post answers to questions or other topics, but at least they post answers to questions. 

• Members

I'm not hidden.   Seeing if I am on or offline does not change anything that I can see or realize, nor should it for anyone else.

Refusing to answer questions though,  ongoing ?   When Bill did that,  several posters claimed he was constantly side-stepping to avoid the questions.   Does that apply only to Bill , and not to everyone else ?   A double standard so to speak ? 

• Members

(last (just posted)) first.   How many times is it written in Scripture that someone, anyone, who causes (by their own actions or disobedience) a brother or a sister weak in faith to stumble in their faith a serious sin --- so much so as this in KJV >>  

from KJV Biblegateway

"The Greatest in the Kingdom of Heaven

18 At that time the disciples came to Jesus and asked, “Who, then, is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven?”

2 He called a little child to him, and placed the child among them. 3 And he said: “Truly I tell you, unless you change and become like little children, you will never enter the kingdom of heaven. 4 Therefore, whoever takes the lowly position of this child is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven. 5 And whoever welcomes one such child in my name welcomes me.

Causing to Stumble

6 “If anyone causes one of these little ones—those who believe in me—to stumble, it would be better for them to have a large millstone hung around their neck and to be drowned in the depths of the sea. 7 Woe to the world because of the things that cause people to stumble! Such things must come, but woe to the person through whom they come!"

==================================================================

34 minutes ago, PastorMatt said:

Your arguing a point that nobody is arguing or disagreeing with. Too funny really. You created an argument, then debate that argument you created. 

@Bouncing Bill For the 1,2454,544,144,654,554,222,445 time please follow the board rules and use KJV.

Did I ever not use KJV , other than a few times long ago whether I realized it or not ? 

Bill concentrated on the killing physically aspect.  

I was trying to find out if anyone else noted the murder according to Scripture (KJV) aspect,  not physical murder.   i.e. when someone hates another, 

but that was not even the main point going forward - the one we never got to that is quite evident in the picture,  and no one else at all seems or seemed to realize.

"Causing someone weak in faith to stumble"  is the aspect I was addressing.

If someone put a picture of a thousand gold coins spilt all over a street  and said come get them ,  after a vault truck overturned,  would that not be a stumbling block to someone who wanted the gold ? 

Another poster, long term summed it up I think very well in the following post/ quote: 

On 8/30/2018 at 2:31 PM, Brother Stafford said:

You missed my point.  I was using an extreme example to illustrate that every church believes in a certain minimum of appropriate attire that is expected to be allowed entrance into their services.

The problem is that the world keeps changing what it believes to be appropriate attire.  There are things that I have seen women wear to church that even prostitutes would not have worn an hundred years ago; one of the reasons being that they would have been arrested.  The world's acceptable standards get lower and more inappropriate every year.

...Yet.

QUOTE CONTINUED: "Not long ago, there was a time where no woman would have even considered being seen in public in yoga pants (essentially, slightly more modest pantyhose), but they are 100% comfortable with it today.  When my mother was a young woman, her brothers chased her into the backyard shed for wearing pants and would not let her come out until she agreed to put her dress back on.  There is a photograph of my grandmother lifting the front of her dress, just barely above her knees in order to expose her knees, that she always covered with her hand while we looked through her photo albums when I was a boy. 

Letting the world set the standards for when we draw the line in our churches is a dangerous thing because of the ever lowering of standards of decency.   Again, since many people no longer know what is appropriate to wear in to a church, they need to be taught.  As I said above, we are to be understanding, to a certain degree, with new converts and visitors, but not to the point of allowing unacceptable immodesty.

I also find it interesting that some of the strongest push-back I receive on this issue is from female church members.  When I have invited non believers as guests, often they ask my what they should wear, but if they don't ask, I will just tell them that the men usually wear suits and the women wear loose fitting, high neckline dresses that come below the knees when seated.  I have never had any of my guests balk or complain at all.  They always seem to understand and respect it.

Also, requiring a certain standard is also to make sure that the guests are not uncomfortable.  As a man, I would feel incredibly uncomfortable being the only one in a t-shirt and jeans.  I know that women feel equally uncomfortable when they are the only one under dressed.  I attended a Baptist friend's wedding years before I was saved.  My girlfriend, at the time, was going to meet me there.  Being raised Catholic, I thought I should wear a suit, but she showed up wearing a tight black dress that came to her mid thigh and high heels.  I don't know if I have ever seen another woman blush as much as she did.  She was so uncomfortable that she asked me if she could wear my suit coat and she asked me if we could leave the second the ceremony was over.  Had my friend taken a moment to make sure we were on the same page, or had I made sure she knew how to dress for a church, we could have saved my girlfriend a tremendous amount of humiliation.

I have heard a handful of stories, mostly from women, that tell of a visiting female guest being spoken to about her attire and that that guest never returned.  I have heard the same scenario illustrated, time and time again, that if we hold to such standards, then visitors will be so offended that they shall return again no more.  I have never witnessed it happening, but even if a visitor, who was dressed too immodestly for church, got so offended by a kind and loving explanation of the dress requirements that they never returned, I have no problem with that.  If they are put off by such a reasonable request, they probably were not in the frame of mind to get much out of the service anyway. 

We are not to lower our standards for unbelievers.  Many IFB churches have adopted worldly CCM music for their services to appeal to more people.  Some have even started being okay with bible versions, other than the KJV being used by members. Churches in almost every denomination have full scale coffee shops and there are even some that have actual Starbucks in them.  Standards slip a little bit at a time and never stop falling unless intentional action is taken to stop it and/or reverse it.  We are not to lower our standards to accommodate the world."

Another group likewise pointed this out

Well,  if I can find it again,  I may post it.  I had a short observation from  followers of God who consider such blatant immodesty a sin for any believer,  and directly disobedient of God's Instructions, 

and a cause of sin in observers with weak faith or barely able to stay moral.

3 minutes ago, PastorMatt said:

Also, I can care less if you are in hidden mode or not. I just found it ironic for someone who says they are more upfront thank others to be walking around here in "Hidden" mode. Whatcha hidden? 

There appears to be nothing hidden in my posting and answering questions.   If something is hidden from you,  that is God's Doing,  not my status.