• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Can men wear rings?

• Members

My wife seems pleased I wear the wedding ring she gave me....:) Kind of: "He's off limits!" ?

At the small, independent church that we go to, some of the young men and boys have worn earrings; often they are rather unobtrusive, anyway.  I remember nearly 40 years ago being at various baptisms by immersion in different places connected with independent churches and it was the widespread custom among young men then to wear earrings and indeed I think some of the young men being baptized then did also.

As regards the custom of women wearing 2 each side, etc., well this has been going on for several decades; if a teen and her mom had doubles put in in the late 70s, for example, an 18 year old would be 60 now and if her mom was 48 then, she would be 90 now. It's thoroughly established and unremarkable now for women of all ages.

(Post partly in response to another post, now deleted.)

Edited by farouk

• Members
On 9/12/2021 at 6:23 AM, E Morales said:

the only ring that should be used, is the wedding ring. All others rings and piercing are for show and tell.

@E MoralesWell, what about neckties? I would have thought that earrings are in a similar category as neckties. Policing earrings doesn't make sense in my humble view.

PS: Someone mentioned hair; having it quite long at the top and trimmed at the sides can be an option for professional women; very broadly this is the kind of cut that my wife has had for many years; her dyed colour has varied over the years.

15 Fantastic Mohawk Hairstyles - Pretty Designs

prettydesigns dot com

Edited by farouk

• Members
On 9/12/2021 at 12:03 PM, Jerry said:

The Bible does not forbid men from wearing jewelry - however, the Bible does show earrings on men in a bad light. In several passages where they are mentioned, they are connected with their idolatry AND when they repented or were rebuked for their sin, the men removed their earrings (referring specifically to Jacob’s sons in Genesis 35 and Israel’s sin with the golden calf in Exodus 32).

On another note, the Bible always forbids piercings/cuttings (other than earrings) and tattoos on God’s people (someone mentioned piercings - and the same passages that forbid them also forbid tattoos).

The are also mention  I believe, in slavery or bondage.

• Members

I don't  wear a ring. My wife did not object when we were getting married and I said I didn't want to wear one. I don't wear any jewelry.  My wife now wears her grandma's wedding ring as her own became too tight for her to wear.  My wife's mother never had a wedding ring, and she was not a Christian.

• Members
13 minutes ago, Invicta said:

I don't  wear a ring. My wife did not object when we were getting married and I said I didn't want to wear one. I don't wear any jewelry.  My wife now wears her grandma's wedding ring as her own became too tight for her to wear.  My wife's mother never had a wedding ring, and she was not a Christian.

My wife and I both used to wear wedding rings. Mine was lost at work one day..I had to take it off because it kept getting stuck to the tracks for the conveyor. I bought a second one and wore it until it no longer fit. My wife wore hers up until about 20 years ago when she was working around conveyors at Dell. She nearly had her finger removed from her body when it caught. She decided to put it in the jewelry box. That's where they both stay.