• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Can men wear rings?

• Members

I see no Biblical reason why a man cannot wear rings. I used to wear a turquoise ring that my grandfather made for me years ago. I've since had to put it away as my finger outgrew it. I also wore my wedding ring until 20 years ago when it got too tight on my finger. Plus, I worked on a conveyer belt, and it wasn't good to get my finger caught in the mechanism. Why do you ask such a question...just for reference sake?

• Members
23 minutes ago, SureWord said:

As long as it's not in your nose. ?

I would also prefer it not be in one's ear...A couple of my nephews have them in their ears, and I'd like to reach up and pull the things right out of their ear lobes!

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members
On 8/20/2021 at 10:17 AM, BrotherTony said:

I would also prefer it not be in one's ear...A couple of my nephews have them in their ears, and I'd like to reach up and pull the things right out of their ear lobes!

Well, you must know your nephews...:) At the small, local, conservative independent church that my wife and I attend probably a majority of the young men and boys that attend sometimes, have worn earrings; it simply is a widespread custom now, after all, and has been for years.

• Members

There's nothing in SCRIPTURE against wearing rings; just about wearing bling to show off wealth, etc. While some congregations holler about ANY bling or makeup, I dismiss their stuff because it's all man-made, I I, as well as my church, are Sola Scriptura, not following nor believing any man-made rules or tenets of faith/worship.

• Members
10 hours ago, E Morales said:

I want to look cool when I go to church, but I’m too fat. Rings placed anywhere won’t help me look good.

If that is your only motivation to wearing "rings" to church, then you've already defeated the purpose of going to church in the first place! The focus shouldn't be on you, it should be on Christ.

On 9/10/2021 at 8:54 PM, farouk said:

Well, you must know your nephews...:) At the small, local, conservative independent church that my wife and I attend probably a majority of the young men and boys that attend sometimes, have worn earrings; it simply is a widespread custom now, after all, and has been for years.

It may be a "custom," but custom doesn't make it right. It wasn't acceptable in mainstream Christianity for years, and it just another sign of how close Christians want to see about getting to the world. 

• Members
3 hours ago, BrotherTony said:

If that is your only motivation to wearing "rings" to church, then you've already defeated the purpose of going to church in the first place! The focus shouldn't be on you, it should be on Christ.

It may be a "custom," but custom doesn't make it right. It wasn't acceptable in mainstream Christianity for years, and it just another sign of how close Christians want to see about getting to the world. 

I was just kidding about looking cool... : ) the only ring that should be used, is the wedding ring. All others rings and piercing are for show and tell. Trying to be different, as putting many tattoos. Not to change the subject. This post is about rings, can someone loose their salvation for it. No Sir.

• Members

The Bible does not forbid men from wearing jewelry - however, the Bible does show earrings on men in a bad light. In several passages where they are mentioned, they are connected with their idolatry AND when they repented or were rebuked for their sin, the men removed their earrings (referring specifically to Jacob’s sons in Genesis 35 and Israel’s sin with the golden calf in Exodus 32).

On another note, the Bible always forbids piercings/cuttings (other than earrings) and tattoos on God’s people (someone mentioned piercings - and the same passages that forbid them also forbid tattoos).

• Members
6 hours ago, BrotherTony said:

It's interesting that for centuries sailors would often wear earrings: the idea being that, doing sometimes hazardous work overseas, they might die and so the earring - often gold - was intended to pay for what was regarded as a Christian burial. In other words, the earring was actually an oblique identification with Christianity.

I'm not a legalist myself, or an independent baptist; I just respect customs, including independent baptist ones.

PS: I have a male cousin who has worn an earring for years and no one even comments; and he used to bring his son to Sunday School: I guess the question I would ask is, What is deemed more important; having families come and hear the Word of God, or enforcing independent baptist culture?

Edited by farouk

• Members

It is not specifically Baptist culture. I knew many Christians that were against earrings on men before I became a Baptist.

The Bible teaches us not to be like the world. Typically, I find it is the worldly “Christian” crowd that has the men wearing earrings, that is tattooing for Jesus, that has long hair on men and short hair on women, that is rocking out in the sanctuary. Better not to be conformed to the world.

Historically, as far as sailors go, they usually have a baaaad reputation for carousing and womanizing, among other things - so they certainly are not an example of Godly men to follow.

• Members

I know the topic of rings got sidetracked by earrings, but wanted to make one other point. In the Bible, we also see a passage where earrings are specifically stated to be worn by those who are not God’s people.

Judges 8:24 And Gideon said unto them, I would desire a request of you, that ye would give me every man the earrings of his prey. (For they had golden earrings, because they were Ishmaelites.)

Does that prove earrings are a sin if worn by men? No, not directly - however, we should always learn the principles and examples set in the Bible. In this case, the principle is that it is associated with idolatry, worldliness, pagan cultures; therefore, if we want our lives to be Biblical and patterned after godliness, I believe it is something true, mature Christian men should avoid.

• Members
5 hours ago, farouk said:

It's interesting that for centuries sailors would often wear earrings: the idea being that, doing sometimes hazardous work overseas, they might die and so the earring - often gold - was intended to pay for what was regarded as a Christian burial. In other words, the earring was actually an oblique identification with Christianity.

I'm not a legalist myself, or an independent baptist; I just respect customs, including independent baptist ones.

PS: I have a male cousin who has worn an earring for years and no one even comments; and he used to bring his son to Sunday School: I guess the question I would ask is, What is deemed more important; having families come and hear the Word of God, or enforcing independent baptist culture?

I don't "enforce" Baptist culture...that's not my job. I'm not so offended by someone having an earring that it would stop me from associating with them. I have many friends who have them...but that doesn't mean I like it...I don't have to. Everyone can give account for what they put in or on their bodies, just as I have to give an account...I don't answer for them, and they don't answer for me.

• Members
2 hours ago, Jerry said:

I know the topic of rings got sidetracked by earrings, but wanted to make one other point. In the Bible, we also see a passage where earrings are specifically stated to be worn by those who are not God’s people.

Judges 8:24 And Gideon said unto them, I would desire a request of you, that ye would give me every man the earrings of his prey. (For they had golden earrings, because they were Ishmaelites.)

Does that prove earrings are a sin if worn by men? No, not directly - however, we should always learn the principles and examples set in the Bible. In this case, the principle is that it is associated with idolatry, worldliness, pagan cultures; therefore, if we want our lives to be Biblical and patterned after godliness, I believe it is something true, mature Christian men should avoid.

It's interesting also that in Psalm 40 the bondservant imagery is used: "Mine ears hast Thou opened"; i.e., opened = Hebrew, digged, i.e, pierced. This thematically links in general terms with Philippians 2: the 'form of a Servant'.