• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

• Administrators

Per title, it's about time I purchase a new Bible to preach from. My current  preaching Bible of 30+ years is beyond repair. It is a Scofield Bible and I'm starting to have a hard time reading the small print. he Bible has been taped together plenty of times, but pages keep falling out now so time to purchase a new Bible. Thank you, I'm not looking for wide margin Bible, but rather just a good Bible to use while preaching.

My questions are,

1. What type of KJV Bible do you recommend or even maybe use?  Scofield, Cambridge, Thompson Chain, etc. 
  2. What size font do you like to use?
  3. Goatskin, Lambskin, etc? Which one holds up better?

• Members

I was raised with the Scofield, but later transitioned to a Thompson Chain, which I've had for nearly 40 years. I need a new one as well. So does my wife. We both need larger lettering since we are on the verge of getting tri-focals in our glasses. We both alos like the goatskin covering. We've found that to be more durable than the lambskin. 

• Members
16 hours ago, PastorMatt said:

Per title, it's about time I purchase a new Bible to preach from. My current  preaching Bible of 30+ years is beyond repair. It is a Scofield Bible and I'm starting to have a hard time reading the small print. he Bible has been taped together plenty of times, but pages keep falling out now so time to purchase a new Bible. Thank you, I'm not looking for wide margin Bible, but rather just a good Bible to use while preaching.

My questions are,

1. What type of KJV Bible do you recommend or even maybe use?  Scofield, Cambridge, Thompson Chain, etc. 
  2. What size font do you like to use?
  3. Goatskin, Lambskin, etc? Which one holds up better?

Matt, I have probably spent way too much time researching bibles and I have personally owned many many different bibles over the years. 

For just a preaching bible, I would 100% recommend the Thomas Nelson Preaching Bible, the cover is a durable genuine leather, the paper is premium quality, and the typography and layout are superb. 

https://biblebuyingguide.com/thomas-nelson-kjv-preaching-bible-review/

The Maclaren is a slightly cheaper less premium edition of the preaching bible above:

https://biblebuyingguide.com/thomas-nelson-kjv-maclaren-series-bible-review/

Also good is the Thomas Nelson Sovereign Collection, this one is smaller, compact, but has an amazing typographical layout. 

https://biblebuyingguide.com/thomas-nelson-kjv-sovereign-collection-bible-review/

I really am partial to anything published by Thomas Nelson, in my opinion lately their layouts and typography are incredible. I also really like their cross reference system because it has synonyms for archaic words in the margins. 

I do NOT recommend anything from Local Church Bible Publishers or Church Bible Publishers, the only thing they have going for them is that they use nice leather, but their paper quality is seriously subpar, their bibles usually have bad ghosting, and the typography in my opinion is just ugly and the fonts they use are ugly. Some people like that old classic look but I can’t stand it. 

As for Leather, Typically Genuine Leather/Cowhide and Goatskin are them out durable, Lambskin is super soft but it’s really not that durable. 

If your looking for recommendations for a study Bible, Ryrie is the one I would recommend, he is very balanced and his has a really nice layout where cross references are in the outer margins, he was Baptistic and Dispensational. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JGdwuDYtWew&t=3s

The other Study Bible I would recommend is the Thomas Nelson King James Study Bible, the genuine leather is high quality, and the notes are from an Independent Baptist perspective (was published by Liberty University in the 70s) The typography and layout is amazing and it has full color pictures, charts, etc. The only negative is it’s pretty large. 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uT0X2uDD2xs

If your just looking for something to preach from, I recommend the Thomas Nelson Preaching Bible. Or alternatively anything from the Thomas Nelson Premier Collection. Anything in the Thomas Nelson Premier Collection has high quality leather, paper, and typography. Once you start using one of the New Thomas Nelson’s you won’t want to use anything else. 

11 hours ago, SureWord said:

The Common Man's Reference Bible 

60,000 plus references alone makes it worth the purchase.

This bible has Ruckmanite notes in it.

• Members
5 hours ago, SureWord said:

And every study bible you recommend corrects the bible.

Liberty U, really?

Common Man's is still the best by far. 

SureWord...not that I doubt the veracity of your claim...but do you care to show proof of your allegations?

• Administrators
13 hours ago, Jordan Kurecki said:

Matt, I have probably spent way too much time researching bibles and I have personally owned many many different bibles over the years. 

For just a preaching bible, I would 100% recommend the Thomas Nelson Preaching Bible, the cover is a durable genuine leather, the paper is premium quality, and the typography and layout are superb. 

Thank you, I just ordered the Thomas Nelson Preaching Bible as I only need a Bible for preaching and the most important thing for me is font readability and durability. I'm not a fan of wide margin Bibles for preaching.

• Administrators

I bought myself a large print defined Bible years ago...and that is the one my hubs is now using from which to preach. He needed a bit larger print (he also uses reading glasses...needs to go to the eye doctor LOL), so he co-opted it. ? Christmas is coming, though, so I might just look into the TN Preaching Bible.

Just looked it up. 11.5 font is smaller than the one he's using, so I don't think that will work. Ah, well.

• Administrators
1 hour ago, HappyChristian said:

I bought myself a large print defined Bible years ago...and that is the one my hubs is now using from which to preach. He needed a bit larger print (he also uses reading glasses...needs to go to the eye doctor LOL), so he co-opted it. ? Christmas is coming, though, so I might just look into the TN Preaching Bible.

Just looked it up. 11.5 font is smaller than the one he's using, so I don't think that will work. Ah, well.

Mine will be arriving tomorrow and I'll let you know. I think the 11.5 font will work for me. My Scofield is very small and I struggle reading it during my sermons.

• Members
4 hours ago, BrotherTony said:

SureWord...not that I doubt the veracity of your claim...but do you care to show proof of your allegations?

Ryrie of Liberty's Study Bible?

I cut my teeth on the Ryrie (along with the Thompson) but it still corrects the KJV in many places. I don't have the notes before me but I can assure you it does.

Same with the King James Study Bible. Again, I do not own one but I know that it throws shade on the KJV. My mother lives in Lynchburg and I've been to the church and I've looked through that study bible at one of the their defunct Christian bookstores in Lynchburg and it corrects it in the usual places like all the others. 

What I do know is all your study Bibles throw shade on the KJV except two (possibly four) of them:

1) Common Man's (by far the best)

2) Ruckman's (OK, some decent addendums) 

3) Rock of Ages (formerly The New Pilgrim Study Bible). I don't believe it corrects the KJV but I could be mistaken. I've been told it doesn't.

4) Henry Norris' (formerly New Defenders Study Bible). I owned the New Defender's and it never corrected the KJV though I've heard the Henry Norris' Study Bible does so, again, not 100% sure.

All the rest will correct the KJV every chance they get.

Call me a Ruckmanite all you want but the Common Man's references alone put it ahead of the pack and makes it well worth purchasing.

• Members
15 minutes ago, SureWord said:

Ryrie of Liberty's Study Bible?

I cut my teeth on the Ryrie (along with the Thompson) but it still corrects the KJV in many places. I don't have the notes before me but I can assure you it does.

Same with the King James Study Bible. Again, I do not own one but I know that it throws shade on the KJV. My mother lives in Lynchburg and I've been to the church and I've looked through that study bible at one of the their defunct Christian bookstores in Lynchburg and it corrects it in the usual places like all the others. 

What I do know is all your study Bibles throw shade on the KJV except two (possibly four) of them:

1) Common Man's (by far the best)

2) Ruckman's (OK, some decent addendums) 

3) Rock of Ages (formerly The New Pilgrim Study Bible). I don't believe it corrects the KJV but I could be mistaken. I've been told it doesn't.

4) Henry Norris' (formerly New Defenders Study Bible). I owned the New Defender's and it never corrected the KJV though I've heard the Henry Norris' Study Bible does so, again, not 100% sure.

All the rest will correct the KJV every chance they get.

Call me a Ruckmanite all you want but the Common Man's references alone put it ahead of the pack and makes it well worth purchasing.

I gave my father a Ryrie Study New Testament back in the 1970s and he never mentioned anything about it correcting the KJV. Of course, he also liked the NKJV which a friend of ours from Liberty gave him. I have that Bible somewhere, and my mother recently gave me back the Ryrie I had given him....I'll have to look further into that and see. I only use it now and again when I am looking for some commentary on some of the verses I'm reading. I've NEVER said you were a Ruckmanite...and I would HOPE that you aren't. Ruckman was frowned upon at Maranatha when I was there, and I know a couple of the other Bible colleges I went to weren't really fond of his teachings. I would NEVER call someone that unless I was 100% sure! ?

• Members

No, Jordan mention Ruckmanite. I'm really not interested into arguing about him no more than any other preacher, say, like Jack Hyles. I try to find the best in all preachers regardless of their faults and failures. 

Yes, the Ryrie does correct the KJV.

Regardless, it's still a good study bible better than most, IMO. I find good in all study Bibles.

Brother, if you really want to watch reviews on different study Bibles , versions and books there's a channel on YouTube called "New Life of Albany Ga." The owner is a Assembly of God pastor but he's KJVOnly and he was also a former employee for Kregel, one of the best Christian book publishers, IMO. I know he's really off on some of his doctrine but he seems like he really loves God and he has some good reviews of various Bibles and there's a lot of them and I mean a lot. Hundreds of them. I highly recommend watching his reviews. He doesn't get off into doctrine but sticks to what the study bible has to offer.

Edited by SureWord

• Members
24 minutes ago, SureWord said:

No, Jordan mention Ruckmanite. I'm really not interested into arguing about him no more than any other preacher, say, like Jack Hyles. I try to find the best in all preachers regardless of their faults and failures. 

Yes, the Ryrie does correct the KJV.

Regardless, it's still a good study bible better than most, IMO. I find good in all study Bibles.

Brother, if you really want to watch reviews on different study Bibles , versions and books there's a channel on YouTube called "New Life of Albany Ga." The owner is a Assembly of God pastor but he's KJVOnly and he was also a former employee for Kregel, one of the best Christian book publishers, IMO. I know he's really off on some of his doctrine but he seems like he really loves God and he has some good reviews of various Bibles and there's a lot of them and I mean a lot. Hundreds of them. I highly recommend watching his reviews. He doesn't get off into doctrine but sticks to what the study bible has to offer.

I believe I've watched this preacher before. He's really good on many things. My wife has many relatives in Albany, Ga. It's been a few years since we've been over there, but some of my family background is AoG. I was raised Methodist util I was 9, but my mother became an Independent Baptist back in 1971 and took all of us to the Faith Baptist Church of Pekin, IL. Dr. Henry Sorenson was the pastor then...and then his son, David Sorenson came on as associate pastor for several years. David wrote several books on the KJV controversy and also wrote one of the only known set of commentaries done by an IFB preacher. I was privileged to have him as my youth pastor for several year, and my friend for many more..even to this day. ? I use several different study Bibles...not all are KJVO. But, so it goes. I'm not KJVO..I'm KJV preferred. 

• Members
19 hours ago, HappyChristian said:

The high contrast paper though and premium TN font thought might make it easier to read even though its smaller. The paper having high opacity does wonders for readability.

• Administrators
10 hours ago, Jordan Kurecki said:

The high contrast paper though and premium TN font thought might make it easier to read even though its smaller. The paper having high opacity does wonders for readability.

I don't know...his eyes are pretty sketchy. The Bible he's using is a 14 font, and even with his "readers," he has issues. But that's something to think about. Thanks!

@PastorMatt, how's the font working for you?