• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

When Did Jesus Call His First Disciples?

• Members

I was recently talking with a preacher in our area, and we were discussion the life of Jesus Christ and his ministry. We got onto the topic of his disciples, and this preacher told me that Jesus had called his disciples the last six months of his ministry. That didn't sound quite right to me. When searching the Scriptures, I was under the impression that Christ had called his first disciple shortly after his temptation in the wilderness. (Mark 1: 16) This preacher was taken aback. I knew this preacher hadn't had any formal Biblical training, but he HAD been a preacher for nearly 20 years. I believe Scripture is clear about the timing of the calling of the disciples. What say ye?

• Members
39 minutes ago, Hugh_Flower said:

Yeah. Right away at the start when he calls the brothers out of the water. I also thought this was obvious 

Apparently it's not. This is one reason I would find it hard to sit under a pastor/preacher who wasn't somewhat educated in some type of hermeneutics and doctrine. This is one reason churches are getting "off track" and people are falling away. I'm thankful for the pastor I've got...at least I know he studies the Word and is actively searching through it daily! ?

• Members
40 minutes ago, SureWord said:

You don't need to go to bible college to know this one. Just reading the gospels will clear it up.

One would think so...but one would think that a preache OF that GOSPEL would know what he's talking about. I don't see how a preacher could be so misinformed. It shows a lack of research even on the very rudimetary levels for this particular preacher. It should be of concern to those who sit under him. If he's erring in this one small area, I wonder what other areas he's not more informed in.

• Members
14 hours ago, BrotherTony said:

this preacher told me that Jesus had called his disciples the last six months of his ministry

Maybe when he first herd this it was in a hoten' and holleren' preaching conference and the guy preaching said " Jesus got his disciples 6 months IN TO JOHN's ministry" but he was in the back the preacher was in a preachen' fit and so he heard END OF JESUS' ministry....

Edited by John Young

• Members
2 hours ago, John Young said:

Maybe when he first herd this it was in a hoten' and holleren' preaching conference and the guy preaching said " Jesus got his disciples 6 months IN TO JOHN's ministry" but he was in the back the preacher was in a preachen' fit and so he heard END OF JESUS' ministry....

Humorous typecasting, but not quite accurate. It was the LAST six months of his ministry...LOL...He that hath ears, let him hear! ? At any rate, my friend, I don't see how he could read the Gospels and come up with that conclusion. I only know of one of two others preachers in my 50 years of being in Baptist churches that has made this mistake, and those preachers neither one had any formal doctrinal or hermeneutical training. It's sad, really.