• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

What Are the Biblical Warnings about Government?

• Administrators

So what are some examples in Scripture about Governments abuse of power. It will be interesting to see what the Bible has as examples for government over reach.

I'll go first. In Ex 9 we see Pharaoh resisting Moses in "Let my People Go" even after several plagues came. After all, having the Israelites there was good for the wellbeing people of Egypt. We know God's people eventually was able to get out of slavery, and this verse is a great example in the beginning of the Bible about Government's over reach in power.

• Members

A lot of questions, enough for a dozen or more threads really, 

come to thought related to this,  if anyone wants to follow up on one or more: 

God both warned "His People", and us today, and everyone in between what to do and what not to do, including His Own warnings about Government, Governments and Government Leaders.

Many warnings were given in Scripture,  as well as simple instructions to follow to obey God,  in contrast to the fall into apostasy of christendom following a man instead of following God, by force or willingly (most seems willingly through the last 2000 years, even though unwittingly, unknowingly?) .  

When God Delivered the "My People" from slavery (which all was planned ahead of time) in Egypt,   did the people vote ?

Did God tell them previously, or ever,  to trust the Pharaoh ?

Did the people vote for Cyrus ?  Did God say to trust Cyrus?    Wasn't Cyrus the one God put in place and divinely showed it was God and not man's choice to lift Cyrus up,  to trouble Cyrus 7 years he was brought down, and then to lift him back to being King,  even though Cyrus was heathen ?

I couldn't find anyplace God said to trust in a human king's strength or wisdom or knowledge,

only to obey the government and pray for peace for all men,  but never to trust man.

When God sent the plagues,  was that good for the well-being of the Egyptian people ?

When a king sent his soldiers to kill every boy in the area under 2 years old (after Jesus , King of the Jews, was born,  seeking to kill Jesus in order to try to prevent Jesus' takeover),

was that "over-reach"?

When the nation of "My People" later, after being delivered from Egypt,  'voted' to go back to Egypt, or got together and complained for the delicasies of Egypt,  and for meat like they had had in Egypt,  and to donate their family gold jewelry and treasure to melt all together to make a golden calf to worship,   what did God do to them or offer them ?

i.e. every time Israel,  "My People", God's chosen, set apart people,  voted (tried to choose by popularity or power in number),  it seems they were punished each and every time  If this is so, if God never ever told His People to vote,  and they suffered each time they did,  why do people think democracy (voting) is good anywhere ?   Isn't it a democracy that by voting made murdering babies legal,  and causing disease since at least world war II when it was discovered the food supply was making people sick more than ever before?  After that, instead of getting better, it got worse , and protected by federal law by those people of the usa voted for.   Not to mention all the money collected from the people,  used to enrich the coffers of politicians,  oil men,  pharmacy,  bankers, licensed mind controllers (in the "health" fields, by drugs or by ungodly counseling ).

• Members
1 hour ago, PastorMatt said:

So what are some examples in Scripture about Governments abuse of power. It will be interesting to see what the Bible has as examples for government over reach.

I'll go first. In Ex 9 we see Pharaoh resisting Moses in "Let my People Go" even after several plagues came. After all, having the Israelites there was good for the wellbeing people of Egypt. We know God's people eventually was able to get out of slavery, and this verse is a great example in the beginning of the Bible about Government's over reach in power.

1 Kings 21:1-18

• Members
1 hour ago, jeff_student_of_Jesus said:

A lot of questions, enough for a dozen or more threads really, 

come to thought related to this,  if anyone wants to follow up on one or more: 

God both warned "His People", and us today, and everyone in between what to do and what not to do, including His Own warnings about Government, Governments and Government Leaders.

Many warnings were given in Scripture,  as well as simple instructions to follow to obey God,  in contrast to the fall into apostasy of christendom following a man instead of following God, by force or willingly (most seems willingly through the last 2000 years, even though unwittingly, unknowingly?) .  

When God Delivered the "My People" from slavery (which all was planned ahead of time) in Egypt,   did the people vote ?

Did God tell them previously, or ever,  to trust the Pharaoh ?

Did the people vote for Cyrus ?  Did God say to trust Cyrus?    Wasn't Cyrus the one God put in place and divinely showed it was God and not man's choice to lift Cyrus up,  to trouble Cyrus 7 years he was brought down, and then to lift him back to being King,  even though Cyrus was heathen ?

I couldn't find anyplace God said to trust in a human king's strength or wisdom or knowledge,

only to obey the government and pray for peace for all men,  but never to trust man.

When God sent the plagues,  was that good for the well-being of the Egyptian people ?

When a king sent his soldiers to kill every boy in the area under 2 years old (after Jesus , King of the Jews, was born,  seeking to kill Jesus in order to try to prevent Jesus' takeover),

was that "over-reach"?

When the nation of "My People" later, after being delivered from Egypt,  'voted' to go back to Egypt, or got together and complained for the delicasies of Egypt,  and for meat like they had had in Egypt,  and to donate their family gold jewelry and treasure to melt all together to make a golden calf to worship,   what did God do to them or offer them ?

i.e. every time Israel,  "My People", God's chosen, set apart people,  voted (tried to choose by popularity or power in number),  it seems they were punished each and every time  If this is so, if God never ever told His People to vote,  and they suffered each time they did,  why do people think democracy (voting) is good anywhere ?   Isn't it a democracy that by voting made murdering babies legal,  and causing disease since at least world war II when it was discovered the food supply was making people sick more than ever before?  After that, instead of getting better, it got worse , and protected by federal law by those people of the usa voted for.   Not to mention all the money collected from the people,  used to enrich the coffers of politicians,  oil men,  pharmacy,  bankers, licensed mind controllers (in the "health" fields, by drugs or by ungodly counseling ).

How can you do as we're instructed in Titus 3: 1 " 1Put them in mind to be subject to principalities and powers, to obey magistrates, to be ready to every good work, 2To speak evil of no man, to be no brawlers, but gentle, shewing all meekness unto all men." 

And in Romans 13...

Let every soul be subject unto the higher powers. For there is no power but of God: the powers that be are ordained of God.

2Whosoever therefore resisteth the power, resisteth the ordinance of God: and they that resist shall receive to themselves damnation.

3For rulers are not a terror to good works, but to the evil. Wilt thou then not be afraid of the power? do that which is good, and thou shalt have praise of the same:

God is the one who ultimately puts the powers into control through his own sovereign will to accomplish his own purpose. Not all government is good, but it's there for a reason. If the law directly conflicts with the Word of God, then we should do what we can to fix that...as long as it's Scriptural. 

Can governments abuse power? Yes, indeed they can. When Daniel and his cohorts were taken into captivity, they stood for God in spite of what was declared by the ruler. Daniel continued to pray and was thrown into the lions den, and the three cohorts refused to bow down and worship according to the law and were thrown into the fire. There are many, many other examples of overreach by government. Still we see people following the commands of God, standing up, and being forced to face unpleasant circumstances. Yet, we find that God always brought them through these circumstances for His glory, either by death or by deliverance.

Edited by BrotherTony

• Members

This is a tricky question because under these governments in the Bible nobody had the right to vocally disagree with the government (well, you could but you'd probably lose your head), protest, "redress of grievances", no elections were held except among the elites, no constitutional rights (although, a Roman had special rights beyond a non-Roman).

It's true a lot of our freedoms are an illusion but for the most part we have a right under our form of government to oppose on many matters but ultimately a vote among people was to settle the matter. Unfortunately, votes don't matter anymore or at least half of Americans think that. When people think the game is rigged is when the violence comes. Remember the old saying, "Perception can be reality".

There's also no doubt there are two sets of standards in America now which can be observed on a daily basis. What the standard of law is now, except in very extreme cases, is whatever is politically expedient for those in power and their wealthy/influential supporters. 

My opinion, for a believer, it comes down to testimony and saving your own neck. By saving your own neck is you have to decide if your civil disobedience will get you or your family unnecessarily harmed. Not every hill is worth dying upon. Example: Paul could have spoken up about the evils of slavery but would it realistically have changed anything? It probably would have gotten him an early exit from this world and gotten many other Christians harmed. So, better yet, teach subjection to your master and being a testimony of the gospel for him to see so he may be saved.

Our main goal in this life is not demanding our rights but being a testimony for Jesus Christ. 

• Members
5 hours ago, BrotherTony said:

How can you do as we're instructed in Titus 3: 1 1Put them in mind to be subject to principalities and powers, to obey magistrates, to be ready to every good work, 2To speak evil of no man, to be no brawlers, but gentle, shewing all meekness unto all men." 

And in Romans 13...  etc

How does the Scriptural Hymn go:   Believe Him and Say,  I Believe, I Believe God ?

And Simply Do as Instructed.   Do what God Says Do.

Was there some other aspect or question as if to do something else, anything else, besides what God Instructs us to do ?

• Members
6 minutes ago, jeff_student_of_Jesus said:

How does the Scriptural Hymn go:   Believe Him and Say,  I Believe, I Believe God ?

And Simply Do as Instructed.   Do what God Says Do.

Was there some other aspect or question as if to do something else, anything else, besides what God Instructs us to do ?

That doesn't quite fit with your explanation of not trusting anyone in government. No, we don't have to TRUST government, but, unless there is something unscriptural about what they are telling us to do, we should be following what the government directs us to do. The Bible is pretty clear on that. I'm sure that many of those who were taken into captivity from Israel and Judea didn't agree with the governments that they were under as slaves, but the did follow the laws of those governments unless it violated the laws of God, many of them moving up into positions of authority in gentile governments.

• Members
1 hour ago, BrotherTony said:

That doesn't quite fit with your explanation of not trusting anyone in government. No, we don't have to TRUST government, but, unless there is something unscriptural about what they are telling us to do, we should be following what the government directs us to do. The Bible is pretty clear on that. I'm sure that many of those who were taken into captivity from Israel and Judea didn't agree with the governments that they were under as slaves, but the did follow the laws of those governments unless it violated the laws of God, many of them moving up into positions of authority in gentile governments.

It seems you got it.    Obey the government(s) as God's Word Says.

Don't trust them.

• Members
1 hour ago, jeff_student_of_Jesus said:

It seems you got it.    Obey the government(s) as God's Word Says.

Don't trust them.

Then why the crazy post afterward? Just for reaffirmation? LOL I guess we ALL do that from time to time, though. Don't we?

• Members

7 At what instant I shall speak concerning a nation, and concerning a kingdom, to pluck up, and to pull down, and to destroy it;  8 If that nation, against whom I have pronounced, turn from their evil, I will repent of the evil that I thought to do unto them. 9 And at what instant I shall speak concerning a nation, and concerning a kingdom, to build and to plant it;
 10 If it do evil in my sight, that it obey not my voice, then I will repent of the good, wherewith I said I would benefit them. Jeremiah 18:7-10   

Spoken of Israel and Judah BUT oh so applicable today to a nation called The United States of America.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

36 And the keeper of the prison told this saying to Paul, The magistrates have sent to let you go: now therefore depart, and go in peace.

37 But Paul said unto them, They have beaten us openly uncondemned, being Romans, and have cast us into prison; and now do they thrust us out privily? nay verily; but let them come themselves and fetch us out.

38 And the serjeants told these words unto the magistrates: and they feared, when they heard that they were Romans.

39 And they came and besought them, and brought them out, and desired them to depart out of the city.

So, this bunch of tyrant thugs who had trampled all over Brother Paul's human rights, now had their hats in their hands as they "besought them" to depart. 

Here's another:

2 Samuel 11

12 And David said to Uriah, Tarry here to day also, and to morrow I will let thee depart. So Uriah abode in Jerusalem that day, and the morrow.

13 And when David had called him, he did eat and drink before him; and he made him drunk: and at even he went out to lie on his bed with the servants of his lord, but went not down to his house.

14 And it came to pass in the morning, that David wrote a letter to Joab, and sent it by the hand of Uriah.

15 And he wrote in the letter, saying, Set ye Uriah in the forefront of the hottest battle, and retire ye from him, that he may be smitten, and die.

• Members

Another;

Matthew 2:16

“Then Herod, when he saw that he was mocked of the wise men, was exceeding wroth, and sent forth, and slew all the children that were in Bethlehem, and in all the coasts thereof, from two years old and under, according to the time which he had diligently enquired of the wise men.”

All for a few fleeting moments of "power"; Now he is burning in Hell with the likes of Stalin, Pol Pot,  Mao, Lenin and Hitler

Edited by heartstrings
to add