• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

What Books Are You Reading?

• Members

Here's God's Word:

1 John 4:1-3 Beloved, believe not every spirit, but try the spirits whether they are of God: because many false prophets are gone out into the world. Hereby know ye the Spirit of God: Every spirit that confesseth that Jesus Christ is come in the flesh is of God: And every spirit that confesseth not that Jesus Christ is come in the flesh is not of God: and this is that spirit of antichrist, whereof ye have heard that it should come; and even now already is it in the world.

Right there, the apostle John through the inspiration of the Holy Spirit (God Himself) says if someone denies the deity of Christ and His incarnation that they are not of God - ie. unsaved. I am believing God's Word when I believe that as truth and expose someone that denies Christ's deity as not being one of His children. It's not personal opinion. You either accept God's Word or not.

Passages like that could be given for all the fundamentals of the faith, such as the resurrection of Christ. if someone denies the literal resurrection of the Lord Jesus Christ - which the NT states is part of the Gospel of salvation, then I have the authority of the Word of God to declare them as unsaved, and perhaps false teachers. To refuse to stand where the Word of God stands is not being loving or graceful - it is actually being disobedient to God and His Word.

1 Corinthians 15:1-4 Moreover, brethren, I declare unto you the gospel which I preached unto you, which also ye have received, and wherein ye stand; By which also ye are saved, if ye keep in memory what I preached unto you, unless ye have believed in vain. For I delivered unto you first of all that which I also received, how that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures:

Romans 16:17 Now I beseech you, brethren, mark them which cause divisions and offences contrary to the doctrine which ye have learned; and avoid them.

• Members

From what I understand about Bonhoeffer, he didn't write much on doctrinal issues, but more on the ethical and moral issues, such as standing against the spread of liberalism inside the German Lutheran church. As stated, I've read very limited portions of his work....I still don't find anything in the writings that I've read where he denies the virgin birth, or many of the other things you've claimed he's doctrinally incorrect on.

• 1 month later...
  • Members
1 hour ago, Razor said:

How you set a goal for how many books you will read in 2022?

My goal is, 52.

That's nice. I usually read over 100 books a year...And you didn't seem to anwer the question of WHAT you were reading. Care to share?

• 1 month later...
  • Members

An Arabian Journey

Levinson Wood

This is an interesting read of Wood's 5000 mile journey through the various countries in Arabia. Here is a description of the book from Goodreads.

Book Cover

Following in the footsteps of famed explorers such as Lawrence of Arabia and Wilfred Thesiger, British explorer Levison Wood brings us along on his most complex expedition yet: a circumnavigation of the Arabian Peninsula. Starting in September 2017 in a city in Northern Syria, a stone's throw away from Turkey and amidst the deadliest war of the twenty-first century, Wood set forth on a 5,000-mile trek through the most contested region on the planet. He moved through the Middle East for six months, from ISIS-occupied Iraq through Kuwait and along the jagged coastlines of the Emirates and Oman; across a civil-war-torn Yemen and on to Saudia Arabia, Jordan, and Israel, before ending on the shores of the Mediterranean in Lebanon. Like his predecessors, Wood travelled through some of the harshest and most beautiful environments on earth, seeking to challenge our perceptions of this often-misunderstood part of the world. Through the relationships he forges along the way--and the personal histories and local mythologies that his companions share--Wood examines how the region has changed over thousands of years and reveals a side of the Middle East we don't often see in the media.

• Members

Blaze.jpg.0759b7fc6ccb4386b0c0fe49807c0ce5.jpg

I'm currently reading Blaze of Light - the true story of a Medal of Honor recipient who faced more than his fair share of battles—and overcame them through perseverance and faith.

I am also working through the Complete Collection of Father Brown stories by G.K. Chesterton. These are amusing short mystery stories that occupy my mind while in some queue somewhere waiting for something (Barber, Doctor, Dentist, child's activity, etc.)