• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

What Books Are You Reading?

7 minutes ago, BrotherTony said:

Oh, the name of the book wouldn't turn me off. I have an African American great niece, and there are others in my family who are AA. I'm from a very diverse family...Jewish, AA, American Indian, Irish, Spanish, and Italian. My adoptive father's family was from Germany way back in the 1500's and 1600s. I used to go to a predominantly black church in Peoria for a few months in the 80s.

The author did not like the title, but he had no control over that aspect of the book. Reggie is an African American who earned his Ph.D. at Fuller Theological Seminary. I indexed the book for him. At the Baptist church in Harlem was where Bonhoeffer was introduced to the 'suffering Jesus' and how an oppressed people respond to Him. This turned Bonhoeffer's theology, seemingly, 180 degrees. The book, The Cost of Discipleship, was published in 1937. I believe Bonhoeffer's statement "Salvation is free, but discipleship will cost you your life." When he wrote that I do not know if he was thinking of our physical life or our personal, selfish life. I tend to think the latter. For Bonhoeffer it turned out to be both, personal and physical life. 

Another line that shook me and influenced my life is:

Only he who believes is obedient and only he who is obedient believes.

• Members

The aim and final end of all music should be none other than the glory of God and the refreshment of the soul.                                                                                               - Johann Sebastian Bach

"Every Good Gift is From Above" 

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights, with whom can be no variation, neither shadow that is cast by turning. 

(every book, every song, every message,  from above,  is good) 

• Members
19 hours ago, farouk said:

This book is based on Ephesians 6, I think... ?

I believe i is an exegesis of Ephesians 6...yes. I haven't had a chance to read much of it yet, but, I should be able to take more time this next few days. This is a newer "revision" of the copies of old. I've read them before, but that was long ago.

• Members

I have a lot of books to read both hard copy and on Kindle but I'm just too lazy to read anymore it seems. I keep piling them up, though. The latest I bought is "The Fourth Turning" by Strauss and Howe. Interestingly, the "groundbreaking thesis" of the book is nothing new. Dr. Vance Havner came up with a similar thesis long before this book was written. 

Strauss and Howe had the decline of a nation as:

1) High 

2) Awakening 

3) Unraveling 

4) Crisis 

Havner applied the same cycle to a religious revival or church:

1) Man 

2) Movement 

3) Machine 

4) Monument 

• Members
On 9/15/2021 at 10:08 AM, farouk said:

Hi @Musician4God1611 So what's the book like? I've heard of it, but haven't read it.

Prayer in Scripture can be a very absorbing and profitable thematic study.

It is an amazing book. He does a great job showing what is necessary for a Christian to take prayer seriously.