Jump to content
Online Baptist Community

What preachers do you listen to? Are they heretical?


Recommended Posts

 My own pastor always exhorts us to believe the Bible as our highest earthly authority, the supreme arbiter of all questions of faith/worship, and not to believe nor follow any doctrine of faith/worship that's not found in Scripture, either directly, or by clear implication. (An example of this is the doctrine of the Holy Trinity.)

  I've listened to many radio sermons by many preachers, both past & present, comparing their messages with Scripture, & calling attention to non-Scriptural doctrines & assertions.  While none are perfect, neither are we, but some are worse than others, such as Benny Hinn or T. D. Jakes, who started about 35 miles from my home.

  I've found the best ones are the local boys, even when I've traveled & listened to locals on the car radio. Most megachurch preachers have become "too big for their britches", & seek to boost their popularity & fatten their offering plates with "love gifts", while preaching scratchings for itching ears.

  I encourage new believers to RELY ON THE BIBLE, ABOVE ALL, for Spiritual guidance, while praying for the Holy Spirit to instruct in the understanding of the meanings of Scriptures.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members
6 hours ago, robycop3 said:

 My own pastor always exhorts us to believe the Bible as our highest earthly authority, the supreme arbiter of all questions of faith/worship, and not to believe nor follow any doctrine of faith/worship that's not found in Scripture, either directly, or by clear implication. (An example of this is the doctrine of the Holy Trinity.)

  I've listened to many radio sermons by many preachers, both past & present, comparing their messages with Scripture, & calling attention to non-Scriptural doctrines & assertions.  While none are perfect, neither are we, but some are worse than others, such as Benny Hinn or T. D. Jakes, who started about 35 miles from my home.

  I've found the best ones are the local boys, even when I've traveled & listened to locals on the car radio. Most megachurch preachers have become "too big for their britches", & seek to boost their popularity & fatten their offering plates with "love gifts", while preaching scratchings for itching ears.

  I encourage new believers to RELY ON THE BIBLE, ABOVE ALL, for Spiritual guidance, while praying for the Holy Spirit to instruct in the understanding of the meanings of Scriptures.

You say this, Roby, which sounds great, but then you believe that even the original autographs have errors and you really trash the KJV something terribly in other forums online.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members
2 hours ago, robycop3 said:

  Where have I ever said the original autographs had errors?  As I was told by the moderators not to discuss KJVO here, I won't, but I'll be glad to discuss it in CARM or the Baptist Board. And I AM a 100% Bible believer.

You told me, steelmaker.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, SureWord said:

You told me, steelmaker.

  I don't remember saying such, as Steelmaker on the BVDB site, but I'll take your word for it. And, I'll admit it was wrong. As for the last part of your post-before-last, I readily admit to doing such, and still do it, & will continue to do it, long as God allows me to post on the net.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members
16 minutes ago, robycop3 said:

  I don't remember saying such, as Steelmaker on the BVDB site, but I'll take your word for it. And, I'll admit it was wrong. As for the last part of your post-before-last, I readily admit to doing such, and still do it, & will continue to do it, long as God allows me to post on the net.

So, you know longer believe that even the original autographs had errors in them?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, SureWord said:

So, you know longer believe that even the original autographs had errors in them?

Nupe.  I believe God allowed them to become dust so they wouldn't become icons of worship, such as the "Holy Grail" did. But I believe we have what God wants us to have in the ancient manuscripts from which our translations are made.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 months later...
  • Members
On 7/21/2021 at 3:34 PM, BrotherTony said:

I've come across many Baptist pastors and parishoners who listen to the speakers in this clip on a regular basis. They are being filled with the heretical teachings of these people. I pray they'll learn from this clip.

 

 I used to listen to Bro. Green but now it is no longer the radio but youtube. Bring back the rotary dial and the transistor radio. Back then Baptist churches were not changing their names to community church or whatever. Back then you could open up a large phone book (gone) and by the title you knew somewhat their beliefs now it is confusion. At 72 I have heard it all. There is a Christian sucker born every minute that gives to these spiritual cheap opportunist. I agree with you. But people want soft words and fair speech.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members
7 minutes ago, Bro. West said:

 I used to listen to Bro. Green but now it is no longer the radio but youtube. Bring back the rotary dial and the transistor radio. Back then Baptist churches were not changing their names to community church or whatever. Back then you could open up a large phone book (gone) and by the title you knew somewhat their beliefs now it is confusion. At 72 I have heard it all. There is a Christian sucker born every minute that gives to these spiritual cheap opportunist. I agree with you. But people want soft words and fair speech.

And that's a shame. I have been in three churches that have either opted to change their name, dropping Baptist from the title, or have been started under the "community church" banner. They all ended up being unsound and unsolvent after a few months and either closed or joined with other churches. Remove not the ancient landmark. If you're Baptist, be unashamed to say so! Most are too ashamed to keep the name because it is "offensive." Well, Christ IS offensive to the world...he's supposed to be. But, God will soften hearts if we're true in our preaching and teaching about Christ and the fundamentals of the faith!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 5 weeks later...
  • Members
On 7/21/2021 at 4:34 PM, BrotherTony said:

I've come across many Baptist pastors and parishoners who listen to the speakers in this clip on a regular basis. They are being filled with the heretical teachings of these people. I pray they'll learn from this clip.

 

All of them are heretics listed here, and know their teachings well, as was a teaching Elder in the AOG before becoming Baptist!

My favorite go to guys were those such as Dr Sproul, and Dr MacArthur now!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members
3 hours ago, Yeshuafan said:

All of them are heretics listed here, and know their teachings well, as was a teaching Elder in the AOG before becoming Baptist!

My favorite go to guys were those such as Dr Sproul, and Dr MacArthur now!

Agreed. Justin Peters does a fantastic job as well by making videos like this. Not only is biblically sound but he is extremely witty which makes his presentations even more enjoyable. I only wish Justin would use the KJV instead of the MacArthurs Legacy Standard Bible in his recent videos. I'm sure the LSB is a sound translation I just find it hard to understand why the NASB needed revised again even the Lockman Foundation had just released the 2020 version.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members
9 minutes ago, Disciple.Luke said:

Agreed. Justin Peters does a fantastic job as well by making videos like this. Not only is biblically sound but he is extremely witty which makes his presentations even more enjoyable. I only wish Justin would use the KJV instead of the MacArthurs Legacy Standard Bible in his recent videos. I'm sure the LSB is a sound translation I just find it hard to understand why the NASB needed revised again even the Lockman Foundation had just released the 2020 version.

Great to see you posting again, Luke! I was wondering if you'd left the forums or were just lurking! 🙂

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members
1 hour ago, BrotherTony said:

Great to see you posting again, Luke! I was wondering if you'd left the forums or were just lurking! 🙂

 

Thank you brother. I just haven't logged in for quite awhile. I've been so distracted with other things lately I just haven't had much time. I had an email earlier telling me there was a new post in this thread so I logged in to see how the conversation was going.

I have a lot of unread content to get caught up on.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members
2 hours ago, Disciple.Luke said:

Agreed. Justin Peters does a fantastic job as well by making videos like this. Not only is biblically sound but he is extremely witty which makes his presentations even more enjoyable. I only wish Justin would use the KJV instead of the MacArthurs Legacy Standard Bible in his recent videos. I'm sure the LSB is a sound translation I just find it hard to understand why the NASB needed revised again even the Lockman Foundation had just released the 2020 version.

The Lsb is very sound, pretty much a revised nas 1977, and main reason why was that the Nas 2020 went into inclusive languaging, reads more like the Csb and Niv now!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members
Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, Yeshuafan said:

The Lsb is very sound, pretty much a revised nas 1977, and main reason why was that the Nas 2020 went into inclusive languaging, reads more like the Csb and Niv now!

Yes I was very disappointed with the 2020 revision. I bought it and sent it back for a refund a few days later. I like the 1977 NASB even more than the 1995 version.

Edited by Disciple.Luke
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members
18 minutes ago, BrotherTony said:

I have a 1977 and a 1995 translation. I use them primarily for commentary. I wish they'd leave things alone after the initial translation. Updating oftentimes seems like such a waste of time and usually ruins the  translation, IMHO. 

Yeah I for sure feel like 1977 edition was good how it was, and would rather read it over 95 any day. I didn't care for the 1995 edition. I respected it's accuracy but I found it rather difficult to hold my attention when reading it. I would reference it often when I wanted see how a verse read word for word but it wasn't my go to other than the KJV

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members
On 1/7/2022 at 5:52 PM, Disciple.Luke said:

Yes I was very disappointed with the 2020 revision. I bought it and sent it back for a refund a few days later. I like the 1977 NASB even more than the 1995 version.

I have and use both 1977 and 1995, but the 2020 read same as the Csb to me!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members
4 minutes ago, Yeshuafan said:

I have and use both 1977 and 1995, but the 2020 read same as the Csb to me!

The church my wife and I are members of uses the the HCSB. We're not fond of it, but compare everything the preacher says against the KJV. We don't like the CSB at all. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share



  • Recent Achievements

    • Saved_by_Grace earned a badge
      First Post
    • Lillian earned a badge
      First Post
    • Ann B earned a badge
      Week One Done
    • auburn_tiger went up a rank
      Enthusiast
    • Rando earned a badge
      Week One Done
  • Tell a friend

    Love Online Baptist Community? Tell a friend!
  • Members

  • Recent Status Updates

    • Eagle One

      Havent been on for years, but have been studying with Jews for Jesus weekly Bible Study which has been wonderful.  Not sure any of your views on that group, but if you are from a Jewish background a great place to be grounded in the word and to learn.
      · 0 replies
    • Barbara Ann

      I am a researcher and writer at Watch Unto Prayer which I started 25 years ago. On this website there are many well-documented articles and audio programs by myself and other researchers whose ministry is to expose the endtime apostasy of the Church. Now more than ever Christians need information in order to identify and avoid the various deceptions that are in nearly all the churches.
      My husband and I attended the IFB Bible Baptist Church of James Knox a couple of years ago. We left the church after we were informed by the assistant pastor that we were not allowed to express views to other members that do not agree with the views of the pastor and leaders of the church. We were not introducing heresy but expressing our views concerning the State of Israel. We had never been in a church which forbade private conversations on issues where there are diverse opinions. This we recognized as cultlike control of church members. To inform Christians, my husband, who is also a researcher and writer, started a website on the subject: Zionism Exposed: A Watchman Ministry.
      · 0 replies
    • Free Spirit

      Jesus said:"I am the truth, the way, and the life. No man can come to The Father, but by Me."
      · 0 replies
    • Richg  »  BrotherTony

      Brother Tony, I read your reply on Anderson, I know you all think I'm argumentative but, when you don't agree.....the first thought I had is, I wish you would introduce me to the guy that hasn't sinned, maybe David, that had a man killed so he could commit adultery, yet, he was & is a man after Gods own heart, or maybe Paul the guy that persecuted and had Christians killed, or maybe Richg or Kent H, or even you ! I used to listen to personalities also when I was younger but today and for some time, my only concern is, does it line up with scripture & to me its hilarious that you think "I'm in a fix" LOL, I interpreted what we've discussed perfectly, not because I'm smart, but because with an open mind to things of God, its an easy read.
      · 1 reply
    • Richg  »  Jerry

      I thought you wanted me to stop talking to you !
      · 0 replies
  • Topics

×
×
  • Create New...