• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

What preachers do you listen to? Are they heretical?

• Members

Anderson also teaches your Bible IS Jesus. I am not joking and this is not second hand knowledge. My sister went to his church when he was just starting out and it was in his house. He said some wacky things, so I called him and spoke to him in person about it, asking questions to clarify. This was within the first year of starting his church - somewhere about 2000-2002, when her and her family lived nearby and attended for 6 months to a year.

This second part is based on my faulty memory, but if I can remember, I believe he also teaches that repentance IS NOT necessary for salvation - YET he rants and raves against sodomites, etc. If he truly preached what the Bible teaches, maybe he wouldn't have to go so far out to preach against certain sins (in a railing fashion) as they would dealt with when witnessing and preaching the Gospel - and then perhaps his sons would not be caught up in sexual abuse and sexual bullying in their texting to each other and those they were affecting, as various online news articles relate. If his children think they are safe spiritually and somehow walking with God while they are doing these things, they do not have a clue about true salvation in the Lord Jesus Christ.

Acts 20:21 Testifying both to the Jews, and also to the Greeks, repentance toward God, and faith toward our Lord Jesus Christ.

Acts 26:20 But shewed first unto them of Damascus, and at Jerusalem, and throughout all the coasts of Judaea, and then to the Gentiles, that they should repent and turn to God, and do works meet for repentance.

• Members

Kent Hovind came to a neighboring church of mine, a church I would eventually join, for a week of creation series. He was pretty good, maybe a little snug, but I liked him. He has changed his eschatology since getting out of the slammer, though.

Steven Anderson seems to think everyone who doesn't believe every teaching exactly as he does is demon possessed and going to hell. If you are following Anderson he's leading you down a Jew bashing path. 

Edited by SureWord

• 5 months later...
  • Members

Doing a little bit of research a few days ago, Hovind admits in several of his videos that he changed his position AWAY FROM the pre-trib rapture while he was in prison. He has since then become very political and, looking at a bunch of his videos, he is now promoting questionable or unsound authors (even by his own admission) on his youtube videos. If I was unsure of a particular author or viewpoint  - and admitted it as I referred to that author or position - I certainly would not promote their books or ministries!! I would promote those I was in doctrinal agreement with - LEST I BE GUILTY OF LEADING SOMEONE ASTRAY.

• Members
1 hour ago, Jerry said:

Doing a little bit of research a few days ago, Hovind admits in several of his videos that he changed his position AWAY FROM the pre-trib rapture while he was in prison. He has since then become very political and, looking at a bunch of his videos, he is now promoting questionable or unsound authors (even by his own admission) on his youtube videos. If I was unsure of a particular author or viewpoint  - and admitted it as I referred to that author or position - I certainly would not promote their books or ministries!! I would promote those I was in doctrinal agreement with - LEST I BE GUILTY OF LEADING SOMEONE ASTRAY.

How is Hovind son, Eric. How is he doing.

• Members
6 hours ago, BrotherTony said:

Last I heard, he still seemed to be immersed in his ministry and was still booking meetings. 

He will continue to carrying the torch, where his dad left off. He knows the do and do not, don’t challenge the IRS or the government. All Christian leaders or members, must follow the laws when it comes to our finances. If we don’t pay our taxes, one day we will get caught. The same applies even to the churches, even if they are non-for profit. I never met a man, that cheated on his wife, and never got caught. I never met a drug dealer, who sold drugs all their life, and never got caught. Even Santa Claus, a nonbeliever knows this, he sees you when you’re sleeping, he sees you when you’re naughty or nice. ?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • Members
Just now, Napsterdad said:

Mostly Lester Roloff. I will also listen to Adrian Rogers and Paul Chappell from time to time.

I used to listen to a lot of Roloff...I like Adrian Rogers. Paul Chappell is a good speaker. I listen to him on occasion. For many years I listened to Dr. Tony Evans. I also like Dr. Robert Morris. I have to be careful with some of the things they preach, though. 

• Members

This thread really got me to thinking how I have reduced significantly the number of preachers I listen to. Back before COVID when I drove nearly an hour one way to/from work I had a much larger line-up. Some of my favorites came from Sword of the Lord: Mike Allison, Jeff Fugate, and Bob Jones Sr.

I also had some favorites from Bible conferences I attended; like Joel Logan of Tabernacle Baptist Church, Greenville, SC; and James Knox from the Bible Baptist Church, Deland, FL.

I'm going to have to get back to listening to these again. 

• Members
2 hours ago, Napsterdad said:

This thread really got me to thinking how I have reduced significantly the number of preachers I listen to. Back before COVID when I drove nearly an hour one way to/from work I had a much larger line-up. Some of my favorites came from Sword of the Lord: Mike Allison, Jeff Fugate, and Bob Jones Sr.

I also had some favorites from Bible conferences I attended; like Joel Logan of Tabernacle Baptist Church, Greenville, SC; and James Knox from the Bible Baptist Church, Deland, FL.

I'm going to have to get back to listening to these again. 

I think that many good preachers are falling into the trap of politics. Yes, it would be nice to have politicians in high places that were Christians, and conservative. But unfortunately, we are farther than this, then ever before, and the conservative movement is full of part-time Christians. But the good news is yes, there are still some good preachers out there.

Edited by TheGloryLand