• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

What preachers do you listen to? Are they heretical?

• Members
3 hours ago, BrotherTony said:

The church my wife and I are members of uses the the HCSB. We're not fond of it, but compare everything the preacher says against the KJV. We don't like the CSB at all. 

I do not mind it, just reads too much like the Niv 2011 to my tastes

• Members
3 hours ago, Yeshuafan said:

I do not mind it, just reads too much like the Niv 2011 to my tastes

I have the 1984 version of the NIV that our former pastor gave to us after telling us he was KJV....He was from Bob Jones, and I warned the people when we started the church that he would pull a "switcheroo"  on them. They didn't listen, and most were heavily offended a that time. My wife and I discussed some things with this pastor, and we could never get a straight answer on several things....so we moved our membership to another, more conservative church in the area. We were there several years. KJV Only in that church. We weren't, but the pastor and many in the church were. My wife and I also have the 2011 version of the NIV that the first SBC church we went to used. It wasn't our favorite, but we used it anyhow. 

• Members
3 hours ago, BrotherTony said:

I have the 1984 version of the NIV that our former pastor gave to us after telling us he was KJV....He was from Bob Jones, and I warned the people when we started the church that he would pull a "switcheroo"  on them. They didn't listen, and most were heavily offended a that time. My wife and I discussed some things with this pastor, and we could never get a straight answer on several things....so we moved our membership to another, more conservative church in the area. We were there several years. KJV Only in that church. We weren't, but the pastor and many in the church were. My wife and I also have the 2011 version of the NIV that the first SBC church we went to used. It wasn't our favorite, but we used it anyhow. 

Good for the pastor. 

• Members
17 hours ago, BrotherTony said:

I still have and use the 19884 Niv, as pretty much was neutral on Inclusive gender language, unlike the 2011 edition!

• Members

Charles Lawson in I think Knoxville... zion4131 has a youtube channel that posts his sermons

Gregory Miller from Worthington, OH...used to be on youtube but now posts elsewhere...he has some good expository messages...

Dare I say I still check out Brian Denlinger's KJVM youtube channel from time to time.  

Todd Friel has a youtube channel "wretched" that has some good content...I'm pretty sure he is Southern Baptist

Voddie Baucham, definitely SB, has a great message on "Why I Believe the Bible is True"  that, in my opinion, anyone who claims the Bible is true should listen to.  If you find it on youtube, try the 43 minute version rather than the 30 min or 58 minute one.  Also, good home-schooling messages.

There are some A.W. Tozer sermons that can be found on youtube that are always good.  If can't find sermons, has some good books.

• Members
On 1/10/2022 at 11:39 AM, BrotherTony said:

The church my wife and I are members of uses the the HCSB. We're not fond of it, but compare everything the preacher says against the KJV. We don't like the CSB at all. 

I haven't heard of any churches that use the HCSB. Isn't the Holman publishers and translators from the Southern Baptist Convention?

I was just looking at the Holman KJV Study Bible and am considering buying it. If anyone on here has the Holman Study Bible I'd love to hear what you think about or recommend it?

• Members
On 1/13/2022 at 1:10 AM, robmac68 said:

Charles Lawson in I think Knoxville... zion4131 has a youtube channel that posts his sermons

Gregory Miller from Worthington, OH...used to be on youtube but now posts elsewhere...he has some good expository messages...

Dare I say I still check out Brian Denlinger's KJVM youtube channel from time to time.  

Todd Friel has a youtube channel "wretched" that has some good content...I'm pretty sure he is Southern Baptist

Voddie Baucham, definitely SB, has a great message on "Why I Believe the Bible is True"  that, in my opinion, anyone who claims the Bible is true should listen to.  If you find it on youtube, try the 43 minute version rather than the 30 min or 58 minute one.  Also, good home-schooling messages.

There are some A.W. Tozer sermons that can be found on youtube that are always good.  If can't find sermons, has some good books.

I really like Pastor Lawson. I watch his videos all the time.

Todd Friel is decent but is more of an commentator and debater than a preacher, IMO.

Brian Denlinger has some good stuff but has a lousy attitude and seems a little wacky. If you don't believe every little thing he says your a demon. He called me a "devil" when I objected to his slander of a particular Baptist Church.

Edited by SureWord

• Members
7 hours ago, Disciple.Luke said:

I haven't heard of any churches that use the HCSB. Isn't the Holman publishers and translators from the Southern Baptist Convention?

I was just looking at the Holman KJV Study Bible and am considering buying it. If anyone on here has the Holman Study Bible I'd love to hear what you think about or recommend it?

The HCSB is used mainly by SBC churches from what I can tell. The church we are currently members of is SBC, and we've used the HCSB for the last six years or so. It's not my favorite translation, but, it's not that bad, either. If you're used to the KJV, I'd stick with that over the HCSB.

• Members
12 hours ago, Disciple.Luke said:

Interesting background on that translation is that it was intended to be a translation off the greek majority text, but the gen ed passed away, so switched to the Critical greek text then!

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

I will not listen to any Pentecostal preachers, I spent , out of ignorance, my first 10 years of being saved in Charismatic churches and they do MUCH HARM.                                                  I am thankful to our Lord and Saviour to of been led out of those churches.                                                                                              I have listened to Brother James W. Knox from Bible Baptist Church Deland Florida for years and years. He teaches mostly VS by VS and I have grown so much by his teachings. Also of course I listen to my Pastor Brother Travis Alltop from Bluegrass Pike Baptist Church, Danville KY, too. And I like Brother Ron Ralph from Cornerstone Baptist Church, Carthage, TN.   There is one Free Presbyterian I listen to from time to time ( being aware of where we differ) his names is Rev. Stephen Hamilton | Walnutport, Pennsylvania. He has a excellent series on the Types in the Tabernacle. 

• Members
On 1/31/2022 at 2:29 PM, Blessed by his grace said:

I will not listen to any Pentecostal preachers, I spent , out of ignorance, my first 10 years of being saved in Charismatic churches and they do MUCH HARM.                                                  

Me too. I did not grow up in a religious family. God and the Bible were just never discussed even though we had one on the shelf. I found Jesus outside of church so I had no idea how or what to believe. Unfortunately I believed that the people on TBN were a reflection of true Christianity, and because of that my first few years were frustrated from listening to them. It wasn't until I started searching by attending different churches in person before I started to pick up on basic beliefs.

• 1 month later...
  • Members

I've found two preachers online that I respect because they properly interpret scripture, I today, (didn't used to !) check the scripture with everything said from the pulpit, as Christ instructs, I do it without an agenda, I don't care what it says as long as it agrees contextually. Steven Anderson & Kent Hovind (Kents creation series is amazing, any Christian that has not watched that needs to, I learned more about history & science in the Bible in 2 hours than I did in the previous 30 yrs !!!) are the two best I've found. 

• Members
2 minutes ago, heartstrings said:

All "truth" with no spirit is not truth at all.

Truth is still truth. I am not sure what you mean by "no spirit." If it is truth received without the enlightenment of the Holy Spirit or truth received with the wrong spirit (ie. without love for it and love for others, without a desire to glorify and obey the Lord, etc.), then it won't be as effective - but it is still truth.

20 minutes ago, Richg said:

Steven Anderson

Ah, that explains YOUR superior attitude and ungodly approach. Steven Anderson is a heretic, pure and simple, with a severe (maybe even worse than) Ruckmanite approach to the Scriptures and to those who disagree with him. Instead of obeying the Scriptures as to how we are to preach and teach truth, he just condemns everyone to Hell that he is against, regardless of where they stand, what they believe, whether they are repentant and receptive to the truth, etc.