• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

What preachers do you listen to? Are they heretical?

• Members

I've come across many Baptist pastors and parishoners who listen to the speakers in this clip on a regular basis. They are being filled with the heretical teachings of these people. I pray they'll learn from this clip.

• Members

Why would I willfully tune my heart to heresy? But to answer your question, and to ignore the rhetoric. 
I listen to my Pastor, and I do enjoy the man ‘Spencer Smith’ on YouTube. And Then I listen to a podcast called ‘Enjoying the journey’ by ‘Scott Pauley’

Edited by Hugh_Flower

• Members

Thanks for posting this!

Justin Peters has several videos exposing these frauds for what they really are.

My aunts and uncles were raised believing they are Baptist, but don't have a clue what it means to be one. They don't attend church or read their bibles but are always sharing some "inspirational"  quote on Facebook by one of those false teachers.

It is very disheartening to know so many claiming to be Christian can support any of these people. 

• Members
49 minutes ago, Hugh_Flower said:

Why would I willfully tune my heart to heresy? But to answer your question, and to ignore the rhetoric. 
I listen to my Pastor, and I do enjoy the man ‘Spencer Smith’ on YouTube. And Then I listen to a podcast called ‘Enjoying the journey’ by ‘Scott Pauley’

Spencer Smith is hilarious at times. I like him too.

1 hour ago, BrotherTony said:

I've come across many Baptist pastors and parishoners who listen to the speakers in this clip on a regular basis. They are being filled with the heretical teachings of these people. I pray they'll learn from this clip.

My brother's wife like a lot of these "Christian celebrities". If I say anything from the bible they've never mentioned she'll reject it off hand. I still love her in the Lord but I don't bother trying to show her anything from the bible.

• Administrators

Many here know my stand on local church, for me that is the only exposure I need. I do  not and never have, found any need to go outside of my local church.

Listening or watching these other preachers is extremely dangerous, especially for new believers, they are the most impressionable and easily influenced.

It was not a light thing when Jesus warned about these wolves in sheep's clothing.

• Members
1 hour ago, Jim_Alaska said:

Many here know my stand on local church, for me that is the only exposure I need. I do  not and never have found nay need to go outside of my local church.

Listening or watching these other preachers is extremely dangerous, especially for new believers, they are the most impressionable and easily influenced.

It was not a light thing when Jesus warned about these wolves in sheep's clothing.

I agree and stand with you… However, I was once a Presbyterian, and then became a Catholic, and then an IFB KJVONLY Pre-Millenial Pre-Rapture Dispensationalist Church Age, etc. 

However, I question my self if God was trying to take me there anyway, and I decided to find the patch of bramble as my pathway.

This isn’t a counter argument or me playing devils advocate, but simply pointing at the truth of my life and comparing it to the truth of your words… and it does match! But the Lord is great and made it work anyway!

Edited by Hugh_Flower

• Members

To be honest, many years back I used to listen to John Hagee, Steven Furtick, and a myriad of other preachers. But, the more I listened to several of them, the more I had to start drawing back from them, finally not listening to them at all. Hagee made many a claim that was anti-scriptural, one of them right in the above clip. Joel Osteen, whom I have never been fond of, is listened to by several in my family. I've pointed out time and again the heretical statements and his lack of a true witness for the Lord Jesus Christ, and I have been rebuffed several times. Uff dah! 

The man I would love to hear but cannot is Carlyle Marney. He had a huge influence on my life. Unfortunately he died too young and before the Internet. So, are far too few recordings of his sermons on the Internet. 

Marney was one in an era of free-thinking preachers that produced people such as, Edward Hughes Pruden, Clarence Cranford, and Vernon Richardson, each of whom Stuart knew and counted as friends and colleagues. And, like them, his leading of public worship was of a style that evoked classical dignity in its ordering. There were no gimmicks; it was church. It was to be approached with awe—with “fear and trembling.”

There are many stories about Carlyle Marney. He was a Southern Baptist, but we never invited to preach at an SBC convention. He was asked to pray at one only once. His prayer was simple, short, truthful and, thus, highly irritated many. His prayer was, "Lord, make us as great as we think we are. In Jesus name, amen.

The few times I heard him preach he caused me to reflect more than any other preacher I have heard. 

• Moderators

I can't bring up the video, so I can't answer the initial query, but I enjoy listening to a site called Preach the Bible Classics, produced by North Valley Baptist Church, where they have compiled old sermons from IFB pastors, like John R. Rice and others. Some I like, some seem at the end of their time and give little more than a couple verses and stories, with little actual teaching or preaching. So it's a mixed bag.

I also listen to my old pastor, Doug Fisher from Lighthouse Baptist Church in San Diego, and many of the associate pastors from there. Being a pastor myself, I need to get some preaching from other trusted sources.

• Members
5 hours ago, Ukulelemike said:

I also listen to my old pastor, Doug Fisher from Lighthouse Baptist Church in San Diego, and many of the associate pastors from there. Being a pastor myself, I need to get some preaching from other trusted sources.

Doug Fisher is a good preacher. I seen him preach at a revival in Ohio years ago. I had some cassette tapes of him also.

Edited by SureWord

• Members
3 hours ago, SureWord said:

Doug Fisher is a good preacher. I seen him preach at a revival in Ohio years ago. I had some cassette tapes of him also.

I've heard the name, but have never heard him preach. I would like to, though.

• Members
On 7/22/2021 at 10:36 AM, BrotherTony said:

To be honest, many years back I used to listen to John Hagee, Steven Furtick, and a myriad of other preachers. But, the more I listened to several of them, the more I had to start drawing back from them, finally not listening to them at all. Hagee made many a claim that was anti-scriptural, one of them right in the above clip. Joel Osteen, whom I have never been fond of, is listened to by several in my family. I've pointed out time and again the heretical statements and his lack of a true witness for the Lord Jesus Christ, and I have been rebuffed several times. Uff dah! 

Yes Joel Osteen is very misleading to biblically illiterate people. 

The mindset he uses by insisting that it's better to talk about good instead sin is absurd, and one of the main reasons many local churches are losing members rapidly. If church is just a weekly feel good seminar than there's no reason you can't just stay home and watch Joel.

Several years ago there was church here that was very popular with people my age. One friend invited me to attend describing it as a "feel good seminar for the week with rock music". Of course I declined the invitation because that's not what I would consider a biblical church.

Never talking about sin is dangerous. Why would anyone feel the need to get saved if they keep hearing that God loves them just who they are? I think Pastors need to be cautious about be MORE forgiving than Jesus was. If people in the pews aren't feeling even slightly uncomfortable for serious sins because you don't want to offend anyone...then you are in the wrong profession. Every liberal "Christian" wants to try to overlook sin by claiming we are the type of people who would throw the first stone at the woman caught in adultery, but even after Jesus forgave her....they like to ignore that he told her to "go and sin no more".

• Members
18 minutes ago, Disciple.Luke said:

Yes Joel Osteen is very misleading to biblically illiterate people. 

The mindset he uses by insisting that it's better to talk about good instead sin is absurd, and one of the main reasons many local churches are losing members rapidly. If church is just a weekly feel good seminar than there's no reason you can't just stay home and watch Joel.

Several years ago there was church here that was very popular with people my age. One friend invited me to attend describing it as a "feel good seminar for the week with rock music". Of course I declined the invitation because that's not what I would consider a biblical church.

Never talking about sin is dangerous. Why would anyone feel the need to get saved if they keep hearing that God loves them just who they are? I think Pastors need to be cautious about be MORE forgiving than Jesus was. If people in the pews aren't feeling even slightly uncomfortable for serious sins because you don't want to offend anyone...then you are in the wrong profession. Every liberal "Christian" wants to try to overlook sin by claiming we are the type of people who would throw the first stone at the woman caught in adultery, but even after Jesus forgave her....they like to ignore that he told her to "go and sin no more".

We have several in our family that listen to Osteen and his wife. They are saved, but they're not very active in church or in anything that has to do with spreading the Word. I appreciate that they like to have some "motivational" messages, but to just totally disregard the whole counsel of God for expediencies sake is detrimental to the Kingdom. Churches are disappearing or turning aside at alarming rates, and people like the Osteens are part of the reason. Christians today are doing just as the Bible said, looking for someone to "tickle their ears" with pleasant messsages and worldly music. It's time for a revival.

• Members
2 hours ago, BrotherTony said:

We have several in our family that listen to Osteen and his wife. They are saved, but they're not very active in church or in anything that has to do with spreading the Word. I appreciate that they like to have some "motivational" messages, but to just totally disregard the whole counsel of God for expediencies sake is detrimental to the Kingdom. Churches are disappearing or turning aside at alarming rates, and people like the Osteens are part of the reason. Christians today are doing just as the Bible said, looking for someone to "tickle their ears" with pleasant messsages and worldly music. It's time for a revival.

We have a Disciples of Christ congregation here whose Pastor is a openly gay and married homosexual but when I their "advertisements" they come off as very traditional in belief. That congregation is growing and has influence with the city officials and the "elite" business people. 

Where I live was the headquarters for the Wesleyan Holiness denomination Church of God and where their main university is. They started out very conservative but have shift mostly to progressive or social gospel.

The church of Gods most prominent members are the Gaithers and Sandy Patty. I know they are not pastors or teachers but they still have influence...Bill and Gloria Gaither and Sandy Patty.

As far as televangelists Kenneth Copeland bothers me more than even Joel. It's no wonder people hate our faith so much when all they see are money diggers like Copeland, Duplantis, Dollar, and the rest of them.

Edited by Disciple.Luke

• Members
3 hours ago, Disciple.Luke said:

We have a Disciples of Christ congregation here whose Pastor is a openly gay and married homosexual but when I their "advertisements" they come off as very traditional in belief. That congregation is growing and has influence with the city officials and the "elite" business people. 

Where I live was the headquarters for the Wesleyan Holiness denomination Church of God and where their main university is. They started out very conservative but have shift mostly to progressive or social gospel.

The church of Gods most prominent members are the Gaithers and Sandy Patty. I know they are not pastors or teachers but they still have influence...Bill and Gloria Gaither and Sandy Patty.

As far as televangelists Kenneth Copeland bothers me more than even Joel. It's no wonder people hate our faith so much when all they see are money diggers like Copeland, Duplantis, Dollar, and the rest of them.

Copeland cracks me up. I know I should be upset by how he's a deceiver but he's so bonkers I feel anyone who is deceived by him wants to be. The Copeland "mashups" on YouTube are hilarious. I know, I guess I'm carnal in these matters but sometimes you just have to sit back and laugh at these nut cases.