• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

When Jesus visited Nazareth

When Jesus visited his hometown of Nazareth we are told he was rejected and that he "could do no mighty work there.   

I have thought about this and about his miracles. I can only think of one miracle where the person[s] healed were healed without their approaching Jesus in some way. 

How does this apply to our day? If Jesus is rejected or if the person or people have no faith, does this mean Jesus can do no mighty work among them. 

To what extend do miracles depend on our faith?

• Members
6 minutes ago, Bouncing Bill said:

When Jesus visited his hometown of Nazareth we are told he was rejected and that he "could do no mighty work there.   

I have thought about this and about his miracles. I can only think of one miracle where the person[s] healed were healed without their approaching Jesus in some way. 

How does this apply to our day? If Jesus is rejected or if the person or people have no faith, does this mean Jesus can do no mighty work among them. 

BB, just for the record, could you please expound on which miracle it is you're speaking of...just for clarities sake. Thanks.

12 minutes ago, BrotherTony said:

BB, just for the record, could you please expound on which miracle it is you're speaking of...just for clarities sake. Thanks.

Brother Tony,

Yes, the on incident I though of was when he healed the blind man using mud that he had made by spitting into the dust and making a paste. I may be wrong, but this is the only miracle where Jesus approached a person and not the other way around. This was a teaching opportunity for Jesus. However, this does not answer my question. Is Jesus limited by our rejection of him or our lack of faith. To me there are great ramifications to the answer.

9 As he went along, he saw a man blind from birth. 2 His disciples asked him, “Rabbi, who sinned, this man or his parents, that he was born blind?”

3 “Neither this man nor his parents sinned,” said Jesus, “but this happened so that the works of God might be displayed in him. 4 As long as it is day, we must do the works of him who sent me. Night is coming, when no one can work. 5 While I am in the world, I am the light of the world.”

6 After saying this, he spit on the ground, made some mud with the saliva, and put it on the man’s eyes. 7 “Go,” he told him, “wash in the Pool of Siloam” (this word means “Sent”). So the man went and washed, and came home seeing.

Edited by Bouncing Bill

• Members
10 minutes ago, Bouncing Bill said:

Brother Tony,

Yes, the on incident I though of was when he healed the blind man using mud that he had made by spitting into the dust and making a paste. I may be wrong, but this is the only miracle where Jesus approached a person and not the other way around. This was a teaching opportunity for Jesus. However, this does not answer my question. Is Jesus limited by our rejection of him or our lack of faith. To me there are great ramifications to the answer.

9 As he went along, he saw a man blind from birth. 2 His disciples asked him, “Rabbi, who sinned, this man or his parents, that he was born blind?”

3 “Neither this man nor his parents sinned,” said Jesus, “but this happened so that the works of God might be displayed in him. 4 As long as it is day, we must do the works of him who sent me. Night is coming, when no one can work. 5 While I am in the world, I am the light of the world.”

6 After saying this, he spit on the ground, made some mud with the saliva, and put it on the man’s eyes. 7 “Go,” he told him, “wash in the Pool of Siloam” (this word means “Sent”). So the man went and washed, and came home seeing.

Thanks, BB, for the clarification. I'm sure it will help stimulate the conversation here. I believe that we can limit God by our rejection of him. God will not push himself on mankind. He does call people, and a Calvinist would imply that people are chosen before birth, negating a persons will. They will commonly use the Apostle Paul on the road to Damascus as proof of their claim that God will assert his will on a person. I believe Paul was definitely ripe to make the decision to serve God, whether by God forcing his will on Paul, or by Paul himself seeing the great light, hearing Christs voice and receiving his calling as Apostle to the Gentiles. Either way, Paul became the Apostle that was needed. The rich young ruler is an example given of one who turns away from the possibility of serving God by rejecting Christs directions to "sell all that you have, and give it to the poor, and come and follow me." Instead the rich young ruler turned away sad, because he had great possessions. He didn't follow Christ. So, I believe man can indeed limit God's ability to do what he would will. God allows this, so it's not outside of his sovereignty. 

4 minutes ago, Hugh_Flower said:

His mighty work was the spreading of his Gospel and creating disciples… Not the miracles he did.

If you keep the scripture in context I cannot agree with you. His preaching was important. However, I believe the 'mighty works' are the miracles. After all if preaching was his only mighty work, then he could not have preached in Nazareth, but we know he did preach there.

Blessings, Hugh.

• Members
John 6:26

King James Bible
Jesus answered them and said, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Ye seek me, not because ye saw the miracles, but because ye did eat of the loaves, and were filled.

www.bible.com/bible/1/JHN.15.22-24.kjv

John 15:22-24 KJV. If I had not come and spoken unto them, they had not had sin: but now they have no cloke for their sin. He that hateth me hateth my Father also. If I had not done among them the works which none other man did, they had not had sin: but now have they both seen and hated both me and my Father. ...

www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=John 20:30-31&version=KJV

John 20:30-31 King James Version (KJV). 30 And many other signs truly did Jesus in the presence of his disciples, which are not written in this book: 31 But these are written, that ye might believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God; and that believing ye might have life through his name.

www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Hebrews 11:6&version=KJV

6 But without faith it is impossible to please him: for he that cometh to God must believe that he is, and that he is a rewarder of them that diligently seek him.

On 7/20/2021 at 9:29 AM, Bouncing Bill said:

This man not only did not approach Jesus,  he also DID NOT KNOW WHO HE WAS

And Jesus healed him.

John 5:1-16

King James Version

After this there was a feast of the Jews; and Jesus went up to Jerusalem.

Now there is at Jerusalem by the sheep market a pool, which is called in the Hebrew tongue Bethesda, having five porches.

In these lay a great multitude of impotent folk, of blind, halt, withered, waiting for the moving of the water.

For an angel went down at a certain season into the pool, and troubled the water: whosoever then first after the troubling of the water stepped in was made whole of whatsoever disease he had.

And a certain man was there, which had an infirmity thirty and eight years.

When Jesus saw him lie, and knew that he had been now a long time in that case, he saith unto him, Wilt thou be made whole?

The impotent man answered him, Sir, I have no man, when the water is troubled, to put me into the pool: but while I am coming, another steppeth down before me.

Jesus saith unto him, Rise, take up thy bed, and walk.

And immediately the man was made whole, and took up his bed, and walked: and on the same day was the sabbath.

10 The Jews therefore said unto him that was cured, It is the sabbath day: it is not lawful for thee to carry thy bed.

11 He answered them, He that made me whole, the same said unto me, Take up thy bed, and walk.

12 Then asked they him, What man is that which said unto thee, Take up thy bed, and walk?

13 And he that was healed wist not who it was

• Members
1 hour ago, Bouncing Bill said:

If you keep the scripture in context I cannot agree with you. His preaching was important. However, I believe the 'mighty works' are the miracles. After all if preaching was his only mighty work, then he could not have preached in Nazareth, but we know he did preach there.

Blessings, Hugh.

Preaching isn’t the same as making disciples but I am fine with you and I being in disagreement.