• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

How safe is your password[s]

• Members

Hmmm....I had an old password leaked on to the internet that should have taken 1qt years to cracked but there it was. Some guy tried blackmailing me for Bitcoin random. He said he was going to release all my personal info on to my Twitter and Facebook accounts for all to see if I didn't pay up. I have neither accounts nor any personal info on my computer (I don't own a computer) unless you want to read my school bus schedule or look at pictures of my now deceased cat. 

Companies or websites that go belly up will release all the old passwords on to the internet where apparently there is no law against this nor is it illegal to gather that info. So, even with the safest combination, according to this chart, it's good to change passwords at least every 3-6 months.

• Members

I try to switch my passwords on a regular basis, and they are pretty long. My wife used to work for Dell, and they always had them use extremely long passwords. It's not always easy to keep track of them all, but we do it with a certain amount of ease using some special techniques.

37 minutes ago, SureWord said:

Hmmm....I had an old password leaked on to the internet that should have taken 1qt years to cracked but there it was. Some guy tried blackmailing me for Bitcoin random. He said he was going to release all my personal info on to my Twitter and Facebook accounts for all to see if I didn't pay up. I have neither accounts nor any personal info on my computer (I don't own a computer) unless you want to read my school bus schedule or look at pictures of my now deceased cat. 

Companies or websites that go belly up will release all the old passwords on to the internet where apparently there is no law against this nor is it illegal to gather that info. So, even with the safest combination, according to this chart, it's good to change passwords at least every 3-6 months.

Yes, it is good to change them as you said.

8 minutes ago, BrotherTony said:

I try to switch my passwords on a regular basis, and they are pretty long. My wife used to work for Dell, and they always had them use extremely long passwords. It's not always easy to keep track of them all, but we do it with a certain amount of ease using some special techniques.

You can develop a formula that will be unique on each website and long to make it hard to break. 

Suggestions:

https://hdf.net/password-formulas/

• 1 year later...
  • Members

I use songs. Sing the first line of a song. EG: How Firm a foundation. You would get HfafysotL Then add some numbers and a special character. You might get HfafysotL46#  Now all you have to do is remember the song you picked. ?  I was a Systems Administrator for 20+ years.