• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Are Rock and Country/Western music wrong?

• Administrators
13 minutes ago, Bouncing Bill said:

I have no idea what is meant by "slice of life." Please enlighten me.

No, I am not following you around. I simply replied when I saw something interesting and we engaged in discussion. 

I can learn nothing if I do not ask questions. 

Please re-read Brother Tony's post. He was asking Hugh_Flowers what "Slice of Life" meant. Hugh_Flowers will be the one you'll want to ask 

I can't speak for Brother Tony, but this may be why he feels the way he does about his interactions. 

19 minutes ago, PastorMatt said:

Please re-read Brother Tony's post. He was asking Hugh_Flowers what "Slice of Life" meant. Hugh_Flowers will be the one you'll want to ask 

I can't speak for Brother Tony, but this may be why he feels the way he does about his interactions. 

I am curious to learn what is mean by that phrase. That is why I answered. Can you enlighten me?

• Administrators
16 minutes ago, Bouncing Bill said:

I am curious to learn what is mean by that phrase. That is why I answered. Can you enlighten me?

Why did you quote me and then ask me after I mentioned to you that hugh_floweres is the one that used that term? How can I or Brother Tony answer your question when we are not the ones that used the term initially? 

14 minutes ago, PastorMatt said:

Why did you quote me and then ask me after I mentioned to you that hugh_floweres is the one that used that term? How can I or Brother Tony answer your question when we are not the ones that used the term initially? 

I thought you might know the meaning of the phrase. 

• Members
4 hours ago, BrotherTony said:

Do you believe the "slice of life" type music should be a part of the worship service? If so, how in the world does it fit in with the worship of our Lord and Savior. Believe me, I know that many can become pharisaical about this issue, not allowing anything with drums, guitar or other instruments into the church. I don't agree with that stance in any way, shape or form. I do disagree with it being taken to an extreme where it is so rocky or hyped up to appeal to the flesh over the spirit. Please, explain what YOU mean by "slice of life.: How do YOU define it. Seems very subjective to me.

Hey! Yeah, Of course it is, if we want to be literal it’s just a term I nominate over a certain type of music that I feel meets it threshold. I’ll give examples. 
A good song about a slice of life would be “Fish and Whistle” by John Prine. A bad slice of life song would be “Dixieland Delight” by Alabama. ( it’s good just very much a carnal song ) 

Now, these songs are not ever to be used for worship or church service, but I’d say on a long drive, I’ll put some songs like Fish and Whistle in my playlist that is full of Christian songs. I’d have no problem if a kid was listening to Fish and whistle, while humming along.

Now there is just two examples but they are perfect for an illustration of what I mean. I hope you know the two songs or listen to them to see what I mean. 

• Members
23 minutes ago, Hugh_Flower said:

Hey! Yeah, Of course it is, if we want to be literal it’s just a term I nominate over a certain type of music that I feel meets it threshold. I’ll give examples. 
A good song about a slice of life would be “Fish and Whistle” by John Prine. A bad slice of life song would be “Dixieland Delight” by Alabama. ( it’s good just very much a carnal song ) 

Now, these songs are not ever to be used for worship or church service, but I’d say on a long drive, I’ll put some songs like Fish and Whistle in my playlist that is full of Christian songs. I’d have no problem if a kid was listening to Fish and whistle, while humming along.

Now there is just two examples but they are perfect for an illustration of what I mean. I hope you know the two songs or listen to them to see what I mean. 

I can see some "slice of life" music being used for personal enjoyment. I know when I was attending Maranatha Baptist Bible College in 1982, Dr. Cedarholm allowed "North To Alaska" and one or two other secular songs. A lot of the music was starting to get raunchy during my teen and early twenties, and I could see his point in limiting what was acceptable. I was raised liking music from Dolly Parton, Jerry Reed, Elvis Presley, and many other Country and Western, and Rock singers. I have a few of those in my family's past and present. ?  My little brother is an entertainer in the Cincinnatti area and has won "Entertainer of the Year" there three years in a row. He was with the Eden Park Band, and is a solo singer, songwriter as well. But, I still believe as Christians, being a part of a "royal priesthood" and "set apart from the world," that we should be ever cognizant of the Bible's lessons of "a little leaven leaventh the whole lump," and the command for us to be "unspotted by the world." It sometimes is a hard line to call.

• Members
29 minutes ago, BrotherTony said:

I can see some "slice of life" music being used for personal enjoyment. I know when I was attending Maranatha Baptist Bible College in 1982, Dr. Cedarholm allowed "North To Alaska" and one or two other secular songs. A lot of the music was starting to get raunchy during my teen and early twenties, and I could see his point in limiting what was acceptable. I was raised liking music from Dolly Parton, Jerry Reed, Elvis Presley, and many other Country and Western, and Rock singers. I have a few of those in my family's past and present. ?  My little brother is an entertainer in the Cincinnatti area and has won "Entertainer of the Year" there three years in a row. He was with the Eden Park Band, and is a solo singer, songwriter as well. But, I still believe as Christians, being a part of a "royal priesthood" and "set apart from the world," that we should be ever cognizant of the Bible's lessons of "a little leaven leaventh the whole lump," and the command for us to be "unspotted by the world." It sometimes is a hard line to call.

I definitely agree! Discernment is ongoing and important.  

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members
On 7/5/2021 at 2:34 PM, Bouncing Bill said:

What references in the Bible do you use to determine if the music is scriptural or not?

Bill, it's been many years since I've studied this topic and my memory is not what it once was to give you lots of quotes.  But if you are interested, these are some of the resources I used and these are all available for free in .pdf format.

https://www.wayoflife.org/free_ebooks/what-every-christian-should-know-rock-music.php

https://www.wayoflife.org/free_ebooks/satanic_attack_on_sacred_music.php

https://www.wayoflife.org/free_ebooks/rock-rolls-war-against-god.php

https://www.wayoflife.org/pdf/Church-Music-Standards-and-Training-Course.pdf

Edited by swathdiver
Duplicate

• Members

This is a book by my old college mate, Kent Brandenburg on the subject of music. I know I've used it in teaching about music. I don't know if anyone besides me has a copy, or if anyone here has even read this book...If not, they should, IMHO. I believe the subject of music in the church, and what type of music, is too important to just close our eyes to the infilatration of worldly styles of music into the worship services. This book is well worth the money.

The name of the book is Sound Music or Sounding Brass.

Edited by BrotherTony

• Administrators
On 7/5/2021 at 8:20 PM, Bouncing Bill said:

Sensual is not restricted to flesh. To me some sacred music is very sensual, uplifting my spirit toward God. I consider that very sensual and it is sensual in a good, positive way.

Scripture talks a lot about our senses.  I'm curious, is there scripture that you use to say sensual is not limited to flesh? Thank you

10 minutes ago, PastorMatt said:

Scripture talks a lot about our senses.  I'm curious, is there scripture that you use to say sensual is not limited to flesh? Thank you

10 minutes ago, PastorMatt said:

Song of Solomon. 

24 minutes ago, PastorMatt said:

Please expound.
I believe this is important and relevant to the topic of music.

I see no need to expound. Song of Solomon is very sensual in both areas. It deals with human sexuality as well as with a person's love for God.

https://www.preaching.com/sermons/human-sexuality-the-sensual-christian-song-of-solomon/ 

Blessings. 

• Administrators
19 minutes ago, Bouncing Bill said:

I see no need to expound. Song of Solomon is very sensual in both areas. It deals with human sexuality as well as with a person's love for God.

https://www.preaching.com/sermons/human-sexuality-the-sensual-christian-song-of-solomon/ 

Blessings. 

You may want to google another website, that one talks about the flesh part of sensuality.