• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

The Day of Creation

• Members
4 hours ago, Bouncing Bill said:

John Lightfoot, a 17th Century cleric and scholar of Hebrew, determined that the creation had occurred on October 26, 4004 B.C. at 9 a.m

That would be when Bishop James Ussher had it taking place.

Lightfoot had it at 3929 BC.

Isaac Newton at 4000 BC.

J. Kepler 3992 BC.

V. Bede at 3952 BC. 

If our Lord was really born in 4 BC and the calendar is accurate that would mean 2029 would be 2,000 years since our Lord's ascension back to the Father.

• Members

I am not arguing for a specific exact date (like October something 4004), but the Bible does give us all the number of years from Creation until about the time of King David, and we know he ruled about 1000 BC. Any Biblical events after that can be compared with actual known historical dates. Whether it was 4004 BC or 4000 BC, we know from all the Bible dates given (such as years between the births of each succeeding generation in Genesis, the years they were in bondage in Egypt, etc.) that Creation happened a little over 6000 years ago now, approximately 4000 BC. Usher didn’t create his date out of a vacuum.

• Moderators
On 6/22/2021 at 9:00 AM, Jim_Alaska said:

Date setting is easy and creates great interest....until it is proven wrong.

"In the beginning" is good enough for me; if God had wanted me to know just when that was, He would have told me. :4_12_2:

I agree that an exact date isn’t needed, but there is value to establishing that ‘in the beginning’ Was 6000-ish years ago rather than millions of years. ??‍♀️

• Members

100% agree with you there! The Bible nowhere allows for an old earth, nor leaves any room for any kind of gap theory, day age theory, or any type of evolution. And yes, when I am saying the exact date may not matter - I am saying whether it is 4000 BC or 4004 BC, it is somewhere around that, give or take a few literal years (not generations or thousands or more years). Personally, the only portion of time that I can see even being debatable by going solely by the Bible itself is whether Abraham’s descendants came out of Egypt 430 years after they went into Egypt or whether they came out of Egypt 430 years from the time the Lord gave that prophecy to Abraham. Either way, it was the fourth generation after Jacob and his children entered into Egypt that they came out again (ie. Levi, Kohath, Amram, Moses - Exodus 6:16-20).

• Members

Two passages I forgot about (or maybe were less familiar with) at the time I originally was trying to figure this out years ago (that I came across in the last several days) that show that the 400 years actually date from when the Israelites went into Egypt:

Genesis 15:13-16
And he said unto Abram, Know of a surety that thy seed shall be a stranger in a land that is not theirs, and shall serve them; and they shall afflict them four hundred years; And also that nation, whom they shall serve, will I judge: and afterward shall they come out with great substance. And thou shalt go to thy fathers in peace; thou shalt be buried in a good old age. But in the fourth generation they shall come hither again: for the iniquity of the Amorites is not yet full.

Exodus 6:16-20
And these are the names of the sons of Levi according to their generations; Gershon, and Kohath, and Merari: and the years of the life of Levi were an hundred thirty and seven years. The sons of Gershon; Libni, and Shimi, according to their families. And the sons of Kohath; Amram, and Izhar, and Hebron, and Uzziel: and the years of the life of Kohath were an hundred thirty and three years. And the sons of Merari; Mahali and Mushi: these are the families of Levi according to their generations. And Amram took him Jochebed his father's sister to wife; and she bare him Aaron and Moses: and the years of the life of Amram were an hundred and thirty and seven years.

Here we have 407 years for the total lifespan of the first three generations (though we do not know exactly how old Levi, Kohath, and Amram were when they had their children - though Levi and his brethren were adults with full families by the time they moved to Egypt); add 80 years for Moses to grow up and dwell in the desert before leading them out of Egypt, and you certainly have the 430 years spent in Egypt.

• Members

BB, are you talking about just the beginning of the creation? The first day? I had read that same information before, and I'm not sure it's really necessary for any of us to maintain our faith. Besides, it's all conjecture at this point. We have no way of knowing exactly when the exact date or hour was.