• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

How do YOU handle people like Jehovah's Witnesses and Mormons who come to your door? Does the Bible give us instructions on how to handle them?

• Members

I get asked this a lot by family and friends. I have an IFB friend who has written a tract on Jehovah's Witnesses and another who gave me a book on how to handle Mormons. But, I heard a few preachers over the past few weeks state that we shouldn't even talk to them...period. I'm not sure that I TOTALLY agree with this approach. Where we live, we get several JW's and just as many Mormons who come through to "spread the word." So, how do YOU personally handle them, and do you use the same approach every time?

Edited by BrotherTony

• Members
3 hours ago, BrotherTony said:

I get asked this a lot by family and friends. I have an IFB friend who has written a tract on Jehovah's Witnesses and another who gave me a book on how to handle Mormons. But, I heard a few preachers over the past few weeks state that we shouldn't even talk to them...period. I'm not sure that I TOTALLY agree with this approach. Where we live, we get several JW's and just as many Mormons who come through to "spread the word." So, how do YOU personally handle them, and do you use the same approach every time?

I was baptized into Mormonism when I was 9. My father is a Mormon but more of a nominal Mormon. I think he's more an agnostic. 

The hardcore Mormons are very self righteous and have strange beliefs that are hard to get around. First you would need to convince them Jesus was more than an angel. They will call him the Son of God but their understanding of the term is nowhere near biblical. Jesus is more of an glorified angel, brother of Lucifer. So really you would be wasting your time it would be like conversing with a Muslim whose Jesus is not our Jesus. The problem is they use the same terms as us but very warped and anti-biblical. The Book of Mormon speaks of being born again but it's nothing like the bible.

When I first got saved (I was not a faithful Mormon) and some Mormon missionaries came to visit my parents I had a tract that I read to them which was  "What Must You Do to Be Saved?" and there was a checklist of things I read off to the boys (most missionaries are just boys) and they would answer yes and no then when I read the answer shock came over their face. There's nothing you can do but believe on the Lord Jesus Christ and you will be saved. I had no idea the tract was going to say that. I just recently called on the name of the Lord.

My point is if you do witness keep it sort and to the point that salvation is a gift not earned by good works.

As far as JWs I once had a couple come to my door and I gave them a tract about hell and witnessed to them the woman was nodding in approval to what I was saying but the older man took both tracts, gave her a scowl and then they departed.

I met a man, years ago, who said he always invited them into his home. When the requested leading a Bible study with him, using their materials he always agreed on one condition. The condition was that they would allow him to come to their home where he would conduct a Bible study using his materials. If they agreed the Bible studies began. If they would not agree he would not let them conduct a Bible study with him. Seemed a wise compromise to me. 

• Members
On 6/11/2021 at 8:51 AM, Bouncing Bill said:

I met a man, years ago, who said he always invited them into his home. When the requested leading a Bible study with him, using their materials he always agreed on one condition. The condition was that they would allow him to come to their home where he would conduct a Bible study using his materials. If they agreed the Bible studies began. If they would not agree he would not let them conduct a Bible study with him. Seemed a wise compromise to me. 

Unless he was well acquainted with the meanings of their terminology compared to the mainline Baptists meanings of the terms Christians use, I don't believe that would be a wise thing to do. I NEVER let them into my home. I know a lot about the JW's, and I know that they are persistent. Too bad I haven't found that same kind of dedication in most Baptist churches. 2 John 1:10 KJV says "If there come any unto you, and bring not this doctrine, receive him not (emphasis mine) into your house, neither bid him God speed:"  I believe this is a good policy to live by.

• Members
3 hours ago, BrotherTony said:

Unless he was well acquainted with the meanings of their terminology compared to the mainline Baptists meanings of the terms Christians use, I don't believe that would be a wise thing to do. I NEVER let them into my home. I know a lot about the JW's, and I know that they are persistent. Too bad I haven't found that same kind of dedication in most Baptist churches. 2 John 1:10 KJV says "If there come any unto you, and bring not this doctrine, receive him not (emphasis mine) into your house, neither bid him God speed:"  I believe this is a good policy to live by.

Yes, because even their understanding of Jesus is totally different. Also, to what authority will you point to? 

If you say any version of the bible they'll say KJV only.

If you say KJV they'll say NKJV is accepted now.

If you say NKJV they'll say Book of Mormon.

If you say Book of Mormon they'll say Doctrines and Covenants.

If you say Doctrines and Covenants they'll say Pearl of Great Price...

and so on and so forth. 

They have multiple conflicting authorities. 

Not even their church history or American history itself is the same 

You wouldn't be dealing with, say, a Roman Catholic hold holds similar fundamental doctrines as we do.

You may be able to convince a nominal Mormon, like I was, into accepting Christ but those in deep forget about it.

• Members
40 minutes ago, SureWord said:

Yes, because even their understanding of Jesus is totally different. Also, to what authority will you point to? 

If you say any version of the bible they'll say KJV only.

If you say KJV they'll say NKJV is accepted now.

If you say NKJV they'll say Book of Mormon.

If you say Book of Mormon they'll say Doctrines and Covenants.

If you say Doctrines and Covenants they'll say Pearl of Great Price...

and so on and so forth. 

They have multiple conflicting authorities. 

Not even their church history or American history itself is the same 

You wouldn't be dealing with, say, a Roman Catholic hold holds similar fundamental doctrines as we do.

You may be able to convince a nominal Mormon, like I was, into accepting Christ but those in deep forget about it.

We ALL are pretty much aware of the fact that both JW's and Mormons are members of a cult, not mainstream Christianity. Neither of these can point to the Bible as their sole authority. We can. We don't need extra-Biblical books like the Doctrines and Covenants, or the Book of Mormon. Nor do we accept the NWT of the Bible used by the JW's. We can still pretty much lead them to a saving faith from that translation, but talking to them ISN'T easy. Their terminology doesn't echo our doctrinal stances. Asking them to prove it does frustrates them, because they can't. This is one reason people need to be sure of what they're doing when witnessing or attempting to witness to them. 

• Members
25 minutes ago, BrotherTony said:

We ALL are pretty much aware of the fact that both JW's and Mormons are members of a cult, not mainstream Christianity. Neither of these can point to the Bible as their sole authority. We can. We don't need extra-Biblical books like the Doctrines and Covenants, or the Book of Mormon. Nor do we accept the NWT of the Bible used by the JW's. We can still pretty much lead them to a saving faith from that translation, but talking to them ISN'T easy. Their terminology doesn't echo our doctrinal stances. Asking them to prove it does frustrates them, because they can't. This is one reason people need to be sure of what they're doing when witnessing or attempting to witness to them. 

I wasn't suggesting that we appeal to these other so-called authorities they have my point is if we able to somehow they would just resort to some other "scripture" that they have to contradict the one we are using. Multiple authorities. They can't be pinned down. So it's best to just give them the gospel in a nutshell and leave it at that not getting into useless and endless doctrinal debates with gainsayers. 

• Members
1 minute ago, SureWord said:

I wasn't suggesting that we appeal to these other so-called authorities they have my point is if we able to somehow they would just resort to some other "scripture" that they have to contradict the one we are using. Multiple authorities. They can't be pinned down. So it's best to just give them the gospel in a nutshell and leave it at that not getting into useless and endless doctrinal debates with gainsayers. 

They're not as "slippery" as all that! I've seen them pinned down by several people. But, the Holy Spirit has to be involved and the person has to be in a ready state of mind to listen and receive the truth. If they're not, you can try to plant a seed, but that's about all you can do. And, to be clear, I WAS aware of your point. You're the one who introduced all of those other "sources." ? 

• Members

With JW's I always ask if they know they have eternal life and then begin a conversation about 1 John 5:11-13. 
With Mormons I have not really come up with an approach. In my opinion I would rather talk to a JW than a Mormon because with Mormon doctrine there are SOOO many terms and false teaching to unravel. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

I tell them I'll listen to them only if they faithfully agree to listen to me after they've finished, telling'em I won't take more than 10 minutes unless they wanna hear more. When they finish, I ask, "Who do you say Jesus is?" & after hearing their answers that always deny His Divinity, I quote them verses from a REAL Bible showing He is God's Son & also God, along wit His Father & the Holym Spirit. Then, I quiote them the verses saying the ONLY one who can save them is Jesus, & what they MUST believe & do to be saved. Then, I quickly give them the history of their "New World Translation" & the fact it disagrees with their own interlinear version. And, as they leave, I tell them, "Remember you heard the ACTUAL GOSPEL Jesus preached here, & I'll be glad to tell you more " So far, no takers, but the JWs & LDS haven't come to my home for awhile. (Most likely labeled us hairy ticks to avoid)