• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

In today's changing political and spiritual climate how can we be "Wise as serpents and harmless as doves?"

Go to solution Solved by Ukulelemike,

• Members

I have found myself in several situations over the past few months that have been somewhat difficult to deal with and have required not only extra effort and prayer on my part, but have required me to move myself back from my own opinion in the situations to listen to the opinions of others. In doing so, I have found that I have learned some things about these situations that I never had truly considered before. They didn't change my mind, as the concepts explained to me were totally unscriptural, but, they did give me a better understanding and comprehension of how those who would destroy us think. So, how DO we do as Matthew 10:16 says?  Matthew 10:16 16"Behold, I send you forth as sheep in the midst of wolves: be ye therefore wise as serpents, and harmless as doves."

I have tried my best to be as non-offensive to people outside of the faith without leaving the Scriptures behind. As Paul stated that he was trying to be all things to all men, I have tried. Yet, in this counter culture, it's been very hard to do. The "pandemic," the masks, the vaccinations (and please, people, don't get side-tracked onto these subjects...if you need to please, START YOUR OWN THREADS ON EACH ONE) and all of the other things that are going on in our nation today, have you found it hard to be wise as a serpent and harmless as a dove so that you can keep witnessing and reaching others? If so, please, tell us how you handled the situation.  It will be greatly appreciated.

I try to live my life in a sensible way. I wear a mask. I got my vaccination as soon as I could. I follow the news. I read conspiracy ideas, just to see what others are saying, but do not buy into them. I am never sure if the people publishing these ideas are being honest or if they are pushing an agenda. I know there are governments who push many of these ideas hoping to harm our country.  They throw misleading ideas at the wall and hope some will stick. Unfortunately they are right and do cause us harm. 

On any issue if you stray from the middle you are entering erroneous territory. 

It is wise to listen much and talk little. Discuss but do not argue. Avoid anger and angry people. In time anger kills the person holding the anger.  

27 minutes ago, Salyan said:

Really, Bill? This is your way of not starting onto other topics? Please answer the question without stirring the pot.

Sorry Salyan, I was not trying to stir the pot. I was simply giving my approach. Some may agree and some may disagree. I am not sure how a question, i.e. state my position, can be answered without 'stirring someone's pot'. 

Edited by Bouncing Bill

• Moderators
  • Solution

It is difficult to be harmless as doves these days, because culture is continually changing everything about itself on almost a daily basis. What was once racist, like segregation, is now enlightened, so long as people who used to be segregated by force now segregate themselves willingly. Once it would have been considered racists to erase cultural icons of color, like Aunt Jemima or uncle Ben, or the Land O' Lakes Indian maiden, (created by a native American artist), while today, they are erased because people think they images are racist, while disregarding what the actual people behind the icons accomplished, (like the woman behind Aunt Jemima). How do you keep up with a culture that has no boundaries, nothing sure to hold to? So the bottom line is, we hold fast to the word, and preach it without apology, kindly but firmly, and understand that the world has always been, and always will be, offended by the truth of God's word and the gospel.

• Members

The "counterculture" now runs the country. The inmates run the asylum. It has become impossible not to offend someone. Fortunately, for me in the situation I find myself presently in I haven't had to deal with some of these people head on. If I did I would keep my mouth shut like a silent serpent. I don't always have to give my opinion and I'm not going to tell anyone about Jesus who doesn't want to hear about him. Cast not you pearls before swine.

Edited by SureWord