• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

• Members

Hopefully this (Divine Origin)  is carried through from the beginning (of the forum) through today:

On 1/15/2007 at 2:23 PM, Alison said:

I posted this elswhere and thought I'd post it here too.

HOW DO WE KNOW THAT THE BIBLE IS TRUE?

[*]It's one of the few books that makes the claim to be the Word of God. The phrases, "Thus says the Lord," or "the Word of the Lord" are used hundreds of times. It claims to be the uniquely inspired communication from our Creator to us: All Scripture is inspired by God (2 Timothy 3:16). [*]The amazing unity of the Bible: it is unique. It was written by forty authors from different backgrounds over 1500 years and yet reads like it was written by one author.

• Members
12 hours ago, 1Timothy115 said:

Who was the author of the book of Genesis?

The holy man of God, Moses, under the inspiration of God the Holy Spirit.

Note: The same goes for Exodus, Leviticus, Numbers, and Deuteronomy. 

Edited by Pastor Scott Markle

• Members

I've always been told it was Moses. I full will believe it is the inspired Word of God and preserved for us today in our KJV Bible. My Bible opens to Genesis with this heading, "The First Book Of Moses, Called Genesis." 

10 hours ago, Pastor Scott Markle said:

The holy man of God, Moses, under the inspiration of God the Holy Spirit.

Note: The same goes for Exodus, Leviticus, Numbers, and Deuteronomy. 

I've always been told the first 5 books of the Bible, the Pentateuch, was written by Moses. Is there literal evidence Moses was the author? I know of no evidence pro or con for Moses having written Genesis. Is there any contrary evidence it was not written by Adam, Noah, Abraham, Isaac, Jacob, Joseph, and Moses under the influence of the Holy Spirit? That is, I see no reason why the entire book of the Genesis was written by Moses alone. Is it possible it was written in parts by the patriarchs mentioned above?

Edited by 1Timothy115

• Members
1 hour ago, 1Timothy115 said:

I've always been told it was Moses. I full will believe it is the inspired Word of God and preserved for us today in our KJV Bible. My Bible opens to Genesis with this heading, "The First Book Of Moses, Called Genesis." 

I've always been told the first 5 books of the Bible, the Pentateuch, was written by Moses. Is there literal evidence Moses was the author? I know of no evidence pro or con for Moses having written Genesis. Is there any contrary evidence it was not written by Adam, Noah, Abraham, Isaac, Jacob, Joseph, and Moses under the influence of the Holy Spirit? That is, I see no reason why the entire book of the Genesis was written by Moses alone. Is it possible it was written in parts by the patriarchs mentioned above?

If I may chime in there's nothing that I know of that states that Moses actually wrote the Pentateuch. But remember, holy men of God SPAKE (not wrote) as they were moved by the Holy Ghost. It's definitely his words yet there are passages that probably weren't written by him like Numbers 12:3 and Joshua 24:26 suggests Joshua may have written down the words of the Pentateuch.

Now in Jeremiah 36  when Jeremiah tells Baruch to write down the words that God gave him and read them to king Jehoiakim who preceded to cut up the leaves and toss them into a fire. Baruch was then commanded by Jeremiah to rewrite the words he was told and Baruch also ADDED more words to the scripture (Jer. 36:32). 

My point is that I don't see much difference, if any at all, between inspiration and preservation. Holy men of God were inspired, spoke the words, and those words were preserved by being written down. The KJV translators ADDED words that were not in the "original manuscripts" yet they are still the inspired words of God.

So, if Moses did or did not actually write the Pentateuch it is still the inspired words of God written down and preserved by perhaps Joshua and passed on to the Levitical priests.

Edited by SureWord

• Members
12 hours ago, SureWord said:

If I may chime in there's nothing that I know of that states that Moses actually wrote the Pentateuch. But remember, holy men of God SPAKE (not wrote) as they were moved by the Holy Ghost. It's definitely his words yet there are passages that probably weren't written by him like Numbers 12:3 and Joshua 24:26 suggests Joshua may have written down the words of the Pentateuch.

Now in Jeremiah 36  when Jeremiah tells Baruch to write down the words that God gave him and read them to king Jehoiakim who preceded to cut up the leaves and toss them into a fire. Baruch was then commanded by Jeremiah to rewrite the words he was told and Baruch also ADDED more words to the scripture (Jer. 36:32). 

My point is that I don't see much difference, if any at all, between inspiration and preservation. Holy men of God were inspired, spoke the words, and those words were preserved by being written down. The KJV translators ADDED words that were not in the "original manuscripts" yet they are still the inspired words of God.

So, if Moses did or did not actually write the Pentateuch it is still the inspired words of God written down and preserved by perhaps Joshua and passed on to the Levitical priests.

I agree with over 90% of what you've said above. But, inspiration and preservation are different.

Can you further explain how you mean this..."The KJV translators ADDED words that were not in the "original manuscripts" yet they are still the inspired words of God."

• Members
1 hour ago, 1Timothy115 said:

I agree with over 90% of what you've said above. But, inspiration and preservation are different.

Can you further explain how you mean this..."The KJV translators ADDED words that were not in the "original manuscripts" yet they are still the inspired words of God."

Whosoever denieth the Son, the same hath not the Father: (but) he that acknowledgeth the Son hath the Father also. - I John 2:23

Italics. Everything after the colon was ADDED by the KJV translators yet we still consider them the inspired words of God yet then deny the translators were under any kind of inspiration (according to Job 32:8 inspiration gives understanding). Curious. I think we confuse "inspiration" with "revelation" when it comes to the scriptures. 

The workers in Exodus who built the tabernacle we in a sense under the inspiration of God. Exodus 31:1-6

It think we've boxed in what the term "inspiration" means.

Now, the term "revelation" is a whole 'nuther ball game. There are no more revelations, at least, not until the Great Tribulation.

Use whatever terminology we want, inspired or preserved, but those words after that colon were not in the "originals" (that nobody has ever seen or read in nearly two thousand years).

I've seen Christians disfellowship each other over semantics when at the end of the day they both believe the same exact thing, i.e. that the KJV is the inspired/preserved word of God.

Now back to Moses. 

I don't see why the Pentateuch can't be attributed to Moses yet not written by him but by someone else. We have the gospels of our Lord Jesus Christ yet we know he didn't write them but they are still about him and his wondrous works. I don't see why that can't be applied also to the 5 Books of Moses.

Yet, this isn't something I would harp on. 

• Moderators
56 minutes ago, SureWord said:

Whosoever denieth the Son, the same hath not the Father: (but) he that acknowledgeth the Son hath the Father also. - I John 2:23

Italics. Everything after the colon was ADDED by the KJV translators yet we still consider them the inspired words of God yet then deny the translators were under any kind of inspiration (according to Job 32:8 inspiration gives understanding). Curious. I think we confuse "inspiration" with "revelation" when it comes to the scriptures. 

The workers in Exodus who built the tabernacle we in a sense under the inspiration of God. Exodus 31:1-6

It think we've boxed in what the term "inspiration" means.

Now, the term "revelation" is a whole 'nuther ball game. There are no more revelations, at least, not until the Great Tribulation.

Use whatever terminology we want, inspired or preserved, but those words after that colon were not in the "originals" (that nobody has ever seen or read in nearly two thousand years).

I've seen Christians disfellowship each other over semantics when at the end of the day they both believe the same exact thing, i.e. that the KJV is the inspired/preserved word of God.

Now back to Moses. 

I don't see why the Pentateuch can't be attributed to Moses yet not written by him but by someone else. We have the gospels of our Lord Jesus Christ yet we know he didn't write them but they are still about him and his wondrous works. I don't see why that can't be applied also to the 5 Books of Moses.

The issue with what was "added" in italics, isn't that it wasn't there, it was that the Greek or Hebrew from which it was translated had it, but they didn't translate directly into English, so it was added to show the meaning of the phrase in the Greek and Hebrew. But they placed it into italics to maintain honesty that it had to be added to clear the meaning.

On 3/22/2021 at 6:46 PM, 1Timothy115 said:

I have seen an interesting theory on genesis, that it was actually initially written down by the people it was written about, for instance, Adam wrote part, Seth wrote part, Abraham wrote part, etc, and they compiled the writings at the behest of God, and they were kept until Moses, who compiled them together into one book, both from those writings, as well as, perhaps, the Lord filling in any other information he wanted recorded. Of course, it is just a theory.

• Members
4 hours ago, SureWord said:

I don't see either, that is why it can't be ascribed to Moses or to others and that he compiled it; of course either or both being under the inspiration and guidance of the Holy Spirit. 

None of what I've posted is meant to disparage, cause affront, or sew discord [Proverbs 6:19]...just to hear thoughts on the subject and gain understanding. [Proverbs 15:22] Also, to question the comments like a Berean... "in that they received the word with all readiness of mind, and searched the scriptures daily, whether those things were so." [Acts 17:11]

After all brother, we will spend eternity together.

• Members
On 3/24/2021 at 1:12 PM, Ukulelemike said:

The issue with what was "added" in italics, isn't that it wasn't there, it was that the Greek or Hebrew from which it was translated had it, but they didn't translate directly into English, so it was added to show the meaning of the phrase in the Greek and Hebrew. But they placed it into italics to maintain honesty that it had to be added to clear the meaning.

I have seen an interesting theory on genesis, that it was actually initially written down by the people it was written about, for instance, Adam wrote part, Seth wrote part, Abraham wrote part, etc, and they compiled the writings at the behest of God, and they were kept until Moses, who compiled them together into one book, both from those writings, as well as, perhaps, the Lord filling in any other information he wanted recorded. Of course, it is just a theory.

Thanks brother! The latter is exactly what I had been presented with.

Also, I forgot to tell SureWord that even though the words and phrases were added, they agree with other scripture which didn't have to have additions for understanding and they appear to have had the blessing of God since.

I might add that in no way can I agree with anyone who might attempt to say the Pentatruch was written by someone after Moses. That is ludicrous.

Edited by 1Timothy115
added 'they' before agree :)

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members
On 3/22/2021 at 8:46 PM, 1Timothy115 said:

Before writing was invented, people greatly respected the integrity of oral history. The narrative would then have been passed down from the various people involved. Adam would have been the author of the beginning of Genesis, various others might have contributed based on relevance and importance of their contribution. But it was Moses who authorized and ordered it being recorded into writing and those he authorized continued to write it to include his death. That would be Genesis, Exodus, Leviticus and Numbers. Deuteronomy was added later during the reign of Josiah when another written record was found. There's no mention of who authored it, but it matches the first four books enough to verify it's accuracy. 

• Members

Luke 24:27
And beginning at Moses and all the prophets, he expounded unto them in all the scriptures the things concerning himself.

Pretty sure Jesus’ OT study included the book of Genesis, as there is much in that book that also teaches about Christ, including some very clear types.

The Bible itself teaches Moses wrote the five books of the Law. Even if there were some remnants of oral or written history prior to the time of Moses, God told Moses what to write (ie. inspired him to write it), and we have no reason or Biblical evidence to conclude that he used any man-made sources to do so - and no NT writers question Moses writing of the books of the Law.