• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Quotations Anyone?

• Members
On 9/3/2021 at 10:15 AM, Bouncing Bill said:

I believe if you look at the life Christ lived and how he treated those who suffer you will see that your proof texting is incorrect and that Bonhoeffer was correct. 

• Remember the woman taken in adultery?
  • Remember the woman at the well?
  • Remember how he treated the hated tax collector?
  • Remember Jesus healed the sick, raised the dead, consoled the afflicted, and comforted the broken hearted.
  • Remember his comparison of the rich man and the woman who gave the widow's mite?
  • Remember the only people he came down hard on were the 'professional' buffed up religious people, (men), of his day who spent most of their time criticizing other? 

I remember each was tangled in sin or was in a condition set forth to glorify the Father and the Son. Your assumption as well as Bonhoeffer's is incorrect. Quoted scripture is NEVER incorrect. What men do is sin and what men omit is sorrow over sin to repentance and salvation.

• Members

I believe if you look at the life Christ lived and how he treated those who suffer you will see that your proof texting is incorrect and that Bonhoeffer was correct. 

• Remember the woman taken in adultery?

Indeed, I remember.  John 8:1-11 - "Jesus went unto the mount of Olives. And early in the morning he came again into the temple, and all the people came unto him; and he sat down, and taught them. And the scribes and Pharisees brought unto him a woman taken in adultery; and when they had set her in the midst, They say unto him, Master, this woman was taken in adultery, in the very act. Now Moses in the law commanded us, that such should be stoned: but what sayest thou? This they said, tempting him, that they might have to accuse him. But Jesus stooped down, and with his finger wrote on the ground, as though he heard them not. So when they continued asking him, he lifted up himself, and said unto them, He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone at her. And again he stooped down, and wrote on the ground. And they which heard it, being convicted by their own conscience, went out one by one, beginning at the eldest, even unto the last: and Jesus was left alone, and the woman standing in the midst. When Jesus had lifted up himself, and saw none but the woman, he said unto her, Woman, where are those thine accusers? hath no man condemned thee? She said, No man, Lord. And Jesus said unto her, Neither do I condemn thee: go, and sin no more."

(Note: Does not seem to be a single reference in this passage to anyone's suffering, but only to different individual's sins, what they had or had not done.  Thus it would appear that the matter of how much suffering an individual endured is not really relevant to this account.  Rather, the matter of doing or not doing sin is what is relevant to this account.)

• Members

• Remember the woman at the well?

Indeed, I remember.  John 4:1-30 - "Then cometh he to a city of Samaria, which is called Sychar, near to the parcel of ground that Jacob gave to his son Joseph. Now Jacob’s well was there. Jesus therefore, being wearied with his journey, sat thus on the well: and it was about the sixth hour. There cometh a woman of Samaria to draw water: Jesus saith unto her, Give me to drink. (For his disciples were gone away unto the city to buy meat.) Then saith the woman of Samaria unto him, How is it that thou, being a Jew, askest drink of me, which am a woman of Samaria? For the Jews have no dealings with the Samaritans. Jesus answered and said unto her, If thou knewest the gift of God, and who it is that saith to thee, Give me to drink; thou wouldest have asked of him, and he would have given thee living water. The woman saith unto him, Sir, thou hast nothing to draw with, and the well is deep: from whence then hast thou that living water? Art thou greater than our father Jacob, which gave us the well, and drank thereof himself, and his children, and his cattle? Jesus answered and said unto her, Whosoever drinketh of this water shall thirst again: but whosoever drinketh of the water that I shall give him shall never thirst; but the water that I shall give him shall be in him a well of water springing up into everlasting life. The woman saith unto him, Sir, give me this water, that I thirst not, neither come hither to draw. Jesus saith unto her, Go, call thy husband, and come hither. The woman answered and said, I have no husband. Jesus said unto her, Thou hast well said, I have no husband: for thou hast had five husbands; and he whom thou now hast is not thy husband: in that saidst thou truly. The woman saith unto him, Sir, I perceive that thou art a prophet. Our fathers worshipped in this mountain; and ye say, that in Jerusalem is the place where men ought to worship. Jesus saith unto her, Woman, believe me, the hour cometh, when ye shall neither in this mountain, nor yet at Jerusalem, worship the Father. Ye worship ye know not what: we know what we worship: for salvation is of the Jews. But the hour cometh, and now is, when the true worshippers shall worship the Father in spirit and in truth: for the Father seeketh such to worship him. God is a Spirit: and they that worship him must worship him in spirit and in truth. The woman saith unto him, I know that Messias cometh, which is called Christ: when he is come, he will tell us all things. Jesus saith unto her, I that speak unto thee am he. And upon this came his disciples, and marvelled that he talked with the woman: yet no man said, What seekest thou? or, Why talkest thou with her? The woman then left her waterpot, and went her way into the city, and saith to the men, Come, see a man, which told me all things that ever I did: is not this the Christ? Then they went out of the city, and came unto him."

(Note: There does not seem to be any direct reference in this context toward anyone's amount of suffering.  Rather, the Lord confronted this woman concerning her sin of fornication ("He whom thou now hast is not thy husband") and of her need to trust in Him as her Savior.  In fact, when this woman gave testimony to the men of the city concerning her encounter with Jesus the Christ, she herself gave the report, "Come, see a man, which told me all things that ever I DID."  She did not indicate that Jesus the Christ focused at all upon all things ever she had suffered, only on all things ever she had done or not done.)

• Members

Indeed, I remember Zacchaeus.  Luke 19:1-10 - "And Jesus entered and passed through Jericho. And, behold, there was a man named Zacchaeus, which was the chief among the publicans, and he was rich. And he sought to see Jesus who he was; and could not for the press, because he was little of stature. And he ran before, and climbed up into a sycomore tree to see him: for he was to pass that way. And when Jesus came to the place, he looked up, and saw him, and said unto him, Zacchaeus, make haste, and come down; for to day I must abide at thy house. And he made haste, and came down, and received him joyfully. And when they saw it, they all murmured, saying, That he was gone to be guest with a man that is a sinner. And Zacchaeus stood, and said unto the Lord; Behold, Lord, the half of my goods I give to the poor; and if I have taken any thing from any man by false accusation, I restore him fourfold. And Jesus said unto him, This day is salvation come to this house, forsomuch as he also is a son of Abraham. For the Son of man is come to seek and to save that which was lost."

(Note: Again there does not seem to be a single word about what Zacchaeus suffered, but only about what Zacchaeus DID - Sought to see Jesus, Climbed the sycomore tree to see Jesus, Received Jesus into his house joyfully, Committed to give half of his good to the poor, Committed to restore fourfold unto anyone he had cheated.)

• Members

Indeed, I remember Matthew.  Matthew 9:9-13 - "And as Jesus passed forth from thence, he saw a man, named Matthew, sitting at the receipt of custom: and he saith unto him, Follow me. And he arose, and followed him. And it came to pass, as Jesus sat at meat in the house, behold, many publicans and sinners came and sat down with him and his disciples. And when the Pharisees saw it, they said unto his disciples, Why eateth your Master with publicans and sinners? But when Jesus heard that, he said unto them, They that be whole need not a physician, but they that are sick. But go ye and learn what that meaneth, I will have mercy, and not sacrifice: for I am not come to call the righteous, but sinners to repentance."

Mark 2:13-17 - "And he went forth again by the sea side; and all the multitude resorted unto him, and he taught them. And as he passed by, he saw Levi the son of Alphaeus sitting at the receipt of custom, and said unto him, Follow me. And he arose and followed him. And it came to pass, that, as Jesus sat at meat in his house, many publicans and sinners sat also together with Jesus and his disciples: for there were many, and they followed him. And when the scribes and Pharisees saw him eat with publicans and sinners, they said unto his disciples, How is it that he eateth and drinketh with publicans and sinners? When Jesus heard it, he saith unto them, They that are whole have no need of the physician, but they that are sick: I came not to call the righteous, but sinners to repentance."

Luke 5:27-32 - "And after these things he went forth, and saw a publican, named Levi, sitting at the receipt of custom: and he said unto him, Follow me. And he left all, rose up, and followed him. And Levi made him a great feast in his own house: and there was a great company of publicans and of others that sat down with them. But their scribes and Pharisees murmured against his disciples, saying, Why do ye eat and drink with publicans and sinners? And Jesus answering said unto them, They that are whole need not a physician; but they that are sick. I came not to call the righteous, but sinners to repentance."

(Note: Concerning Matthew there does not seem to be single thing mentioned about anything that he had suffered, but only about what he did - At Christ's call he left all, followed Christ, and made a great feast for Christ in his own house.  Concerning the other publicans and sinners who gathered to this feast, there also does not seem to be a single thing mentioned about anything that they had suffered, but only about what they did - They were sinners; They sat with Christ and His disciples; They followed Christ.  In fact, Christ's defense against the accusation of the Pharisees is not what individuals suffer, but is about what individuals choose to do.  Our Lord did not say that He came to call sufferers to comfort.  Rather, He said that He came to call sinners to repentance.  They were sinners because they had committed sin (things that they had done or not done); He called them to repentance (something they needed to do in order to deal with their sinfulness).)

• Members

• Remember his comparison of the rich man and the woman who gave the widow's mite?

Indeed, I remember. Mark 12:41-44 - "And Jesus sat over against the treasury, and beheld how the people cast money into the treasury: and many that were rich cast in much. And there came a certain poor widow, and she threw in two mites, which make a farthing. And he called unto him his disciples, and saith unto them, Verily I say unto you, That this poor widow hath cast more in, than all they which have cast into the treasury: for all they did cast in of their abundance; but she of her want did cast in all that she had, even all her living."

Luke 21:1-4 - "And he looked up, and saw the rich men casting their gifts into the treasury. And he saw also a certain poor widow casting in thither two mites. And he said, Of a truth I say unto you, that this poor widow hath cast in more than they all: for all these have of their abundance cast in unto the offerings of God: but she of her penury hath cast in all the living that she had."

(Note: This whole account is about what individual's were doing and about the character of what they were doing - casting money into the treasury of the temple.  The widow was not distinguished from the others because she had suffered more than they had.  Rather, she was distinguished from the others because of the manner of her giving in comparison to their manner of giving (which is something they were all doing).  She was distinguished because they were giving out of their abundance, whereas she was giving ALL that she had.  By this means our Lord emphasized in the matter of giving, not the greatness of the amount, but the greatness of the percentage.  Yet giving itself is something that is done or not done.  Certainly the widow had suffered much; but if she had not given anything, her suffering would not have been relevant to this case.  It was not how much she gave in relation to how much she suffered that mattered.  Rather, it was how much she gave in relation to how much she owned that mattered.)

• Members

• Remember Jesus healed the sick, raised the dead, consoled the afflicted, and comforted the broken hearted.

Indeed, I remember; and I take notice that throughout His ministry of healing and helps, one great truth is emphasized - "According to your faith be it unto you."  (NOT - according to your suffering be it unto you)

• Remember the only people he came down hard on were the 'professional' buffed up religious people, (men), of his day who spent most of their time criticizing other? (emphasis added by Pastor Scott Markle)

Well, this one I cannot remember - because it is not true.  Matthew 11:20-24 - "Then began he to upbraid the cities wherein most of his mighty works were done, because they repented not: Woe unto thee, Chorazin! Woe unto thee, Bethsaida! For if the mighty works, which were done in you, had been done in Tyre and Sidon, they would have repented long ago in sackcloth and ashes. But I say unto you, It shall be more tolerable for Tyre and Sidon at the day of judgment, than for you. And thou, Capernaum, which art exalted unto heaven, shalt be brought down to hell: for if the mighty works, which have been done in thee, had been done in Sodom, it would have remained until this day. But I say unto you, That it shall be more tolerable for the land of Sodom in the day of judgment, than for thee."

Furthermore, our Lord Jesus Christ did not come down hard on the religious people of his day because they spent "most of their time criticizing others."  Rather, he came down hard on them because they were self-righteous hypocrites, who trusted in their own "so-called" righteousness, refused to acknowledge their own sinfulness, and thus rejected their need for Him as their personal Savior from sin.

• Members
On 9/2/2021 at 7:27 AM, Bouncing Bill said:

“We must learn to regard people less in the light of what they do or omit to do, and more in the light of what they suffer.” – Dietrich Bonhoeffer

From my personal devotional reading today: Psalm 5:1-12 - "Give ear to my words, O LORD, consider my meditation. Hearken unto the voice of my cry, my King, and my God: for unto thee will I pray. My voice shalt thou hear in the morning, O LORD; in the morning will I direct my prayer unto thee, and will look up. For thou art not a God that hath pleasure in wickedness: neither shall evil dwell with thee. The foolish shall not stand in thy sight: thou hatest all workers of iniquity. Thou shalt destroy them that speak leasing: the LORD will abhor the bloody and deceitful man. But as for me, I will come into thy house in the multitude of thy mercy: and in thy fear will I worship toward thy holy temple. Lead me, O LORD, in thy righteousness because of mine enemies; make thy way straight before my face. For there is no faithfulness in their mouth; their inward part is very wickedness; their throat is an open sepulchre; they flatter with their tongue. Destroy thou them, O God; let them fall by their own counsels; cast them out in the multitude of their transgressions; for they have rebelled against thee. But let all those that put their trust in thee rejoice: let them ever shout for joy, because thou defendest them: let them also that love thy name be joyful in thee. For thou, LORD, wilt bless the righteous; with favour wilt thou compass him as with a shield."

(Note: The whole issue herein concerns those who have pleasure in wickedness in contrast to those walk in righteousness. Still seems that Mr. Bonhoeffer got it wrong.)

• Members
On 9/2/2021 at 6:27 AM, Bouncing Bill said:

“We must learn to regard people less in the light of what they do or omit to do, and more in the light of what they suffer.” – Dietrich Bonhoeffer

Bill,   Mr. Bon might or might not have been alive in Christ.   Go to Scripture though,  instead of persons of unknown character, and you will do better I think.

KJV
Forasmuch then as Christ hath suffered for us in the flesh,
arm yourselves likewise with the same mind: for he that hath suffered in the flesh hath ceased from sin;
King James Bible
For he that is dead is freed from sin.
King James Bible
God forbid. How shall we, that are dead to sin, live any longer therein?
King James Bible
For even hereunto were ye called: because Christ also suffered for us, leaving us an example, that ye should follow his steps:
But rejoice, inasmuch as ye are partakers of Christ's sufferings; that, when his glory shall be revealed, ye may be glad also with exceeding joy.
But the God of all grace, who hath called us unto his eternal glory by Christ Jesus, after that ye have suffered a while, make you perfect, stablish, strengthen, settle you.
Fear none of those things which thou shalt suffer: behold, the devil shall cast some of you into prison, that ye may be tried; and ye shall have tribulation ten days: be thou faithful unto death, and I will give thee a crown of life.
King James Bible
Yea, and all that will live godly in Christ Jesus shall suffer persecution.

On 9/2/2021 at 6:27 AM, Bouncing Bill said:

Bill,   Mr. Bon might or might not have been alive in Christ.   Go to Scripture though,  instead of persons of unknown character, and you will do better I think.

KJV
Forasmuch then as Christ hath suffered for us in the flesh,
arm yourselves likewise with the same mind: for he that hath suffered in the flesh hath ceased from sin;
King James Bible
For he that is dead is freed from sin.
King James Bible
God forbid. How shall we, that are dead to sin, live any longer therein?
King James Bible
For even hereunto were ye called: because Christ also suffered for us, leaving us an example, that ye should follow his steps:
But rejoice, inasmuch as ye are partakers of Christ's sufferings; that, when his glory shall be revealed, ye may be glad also with exceeding joy.
But the God of all grace, who hath called us unto his eternal glory by Christ Jesus, after that ye have suffered a while, make you perfect, stablish, strengthen, settle you.
Fear none of those things which thou shalt suffer: behold, the devil shall cast some of you into prison, that ye may be tried; and ye shall have tribulation ten days: be thou faithful unto death, and I will give thee a crown of life.
King James Bible
Yea, and all that will live godly in Christ Jesus shall suffer persecution.

• Administrators
On 9/5/2021 at 8:13 AM, 1Timothy115 said:

I remember each was tangled in sin or was in a condition set forth to glorify the Father and the Son. Your assumption as well as Bonhoeffer's is incorrect. Quoted scripture is NEVER incorrect. What men do is sin and what men omit is sorrow over sin to repentance and salvation.

Good points. Each one of those instances in the Bible, He was there to CHANGE them. 

• 4 months later...
  • Members

Crosses people wear...

"Thousands of them have no more virtue than a chip: poor empty shadows, not so much as images of the true one. Some carry them for charms about them, but never repel one evil with them. They sin with them upon their backs; and though they put them in their bosoms, their beloved lusts lie there too, without the least disquiet."

"These are yokes without restraint, and crosses that never contradict: a whole cart-load of them would leave a man as unmortified as they find him. Men may sooner knock their brains out with them than their sins; and that, I fear, too many of them know in their very consciences that use them, indeed adore them: and, which can only happen to the false cross, are proud of them too, since the true one leaves no pride, where it is truly borne" ~ William Penn