• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Calvinism

Go to solution Solved by John Young,

• Members
On 12/12/2020 at 9:28 AM, Baptistsenior said:

So what is the difference between hyper calvinism and Spurgeon's calvinism? 

You could offer a definition, I could offer a definition, but there would result in thousands of other definitions disagreeing with either. The old rules of "Before you begin a debate, define the terms" seems to have been completely ignored when it comes to Calvinism. I wonder if the ignore it when Armenians discuss Arminianism?

• Members
45 minutes ago, Danny Carlton said:

You could offer a definition, I could offer a definition, but there would result in thousands of other definitions disagreeing with either. The old rules of "Before you begin a debate, define the terms" seems to have been completely ignored when it comes to Calvinism. I wonder if the ignore it when Armenians discuss Arminianism?

True that, and if all else fails they'll change the definitions.  My old Pastor taught us that we were neither Calvanist nor Arminian, we were just Baptist (the ones that the other two groups persecuted

• Members
On 12/7/2020 at 11:22 AM, SureWord said:

The explanation for this is that only predestined babies die. Of course, that's just pulling nonsense out of their hat to bolster their heretical doctrine. 

What's really amazing is how Baptists, particularly IFB, have swallow the TULIP heresy when originally they were persecuted by those who held it. I think in order to fit in with the intellectuals at Christian Universities many IFBers have succumbed to the heresy. 

I believe that all infants are elected by God unto salvation, and I am a Calvinist

On 12/8/2020 at 8:34 AM, Baptistsenior said:

never knew how they believed on the infant issue till I read  the London Baptist Confession of faith of 1689

I use that Confession but only the scriptures were inspired!

On 12/12/2020 at 10:28 AM, Baptistsenior said:

So what is the difference between hyper calvinism and Spurgeon's calvinism? 

Hypers believe in eternal Justification, so the elect are already saved, no need to have missions or evangelism, while we Calvinists hold to election/Predestination, but that God still has ordained that the Gospel message is what is used to bring them unto Jesus and to get saved!

• Members
23 hours ago, Yeshuafan said:

I believe that all infants are elected by God unto salvation, and I am a Calvinist

I use that Confession but only the scriptures were inspired!

Hypers believe in eternal Justification, so the elect are already saved, no need to have missions or evangelism, while we Calvinists hold to election/Predestination, but that God still has ordained that the Gospel message is what is used to bring them unto Jesus and to get saved!

I believe that all babies that die go to heaven because they have not refused Christ as their savior which is how you go to hell 

• Members
1 hour ago, Baptistsenior said:

I believe that all babies that die go to heaven because they have not refused Christ as their savior which is how you go to hell 

All born are dead in Adam, but the Lord will do for them what they cannot do for themselves!

• Members
On 12/18/2020 at 9:59 AM, Yeshuafan said:

All born are dead in Adam, but the Lord will do for them what they cannot do for themselves!

You assume the condemnation of sin is some arbitrary attribute, genetically handed down. What we inherit from Adam is both the knowledge of right and wrong coupled with the inability to always choose what is right. That creates sin, and condemns us. It's not until a child reaches the age of accountability that they make a sinful choice, and at that point become a sinner, in need of salvation. Sin is something we do. A sin nature is something we inherit, but doesn't become sin until we make that first choice to sin, understanding that it's wrong. Our sin nature itself does not condemn us, our choice to sin does.

• Members
17 hours ago, Danny Carlton said:

It's not until a child reaches the age of accountability that they make a sinful choice, and at that point become a sinner, in need of salvation. Sin is something we do. A sin nature is something we inherit, but doesn't become sin until we make that first choice to sin, understanding that it's wrong. 

Psalm 58:3 -- "The wicked are estranged from the womb: they go astray as soon as they be born, speaking lies."

17 hours ago, Danny Carlton said:

Our sin nature itself does not condemn us, our choice to sin does.

Romans 5:18 -- "Therefore as by the offence of one judgment came upon ALL men to condemnation; even so by the righteousness of one the free gift came upon all men unto justification of life."

Roman 3:10-12 -- "As it is written, There is none righteous, no, not one: there is none that understandeth, there is none that seeketh after God.  They are all gone out of the way, they are together become unprofitable; there is none that doeth good, no, not one."

Romans 3:23 -- "For all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God."

Romans 3:19 -- "Now we know that what things soever the law saith, it saith to them who are under the law: that every  mouth may be stopped, and ALL the world may become guilty before God."

So, here is a question that we non-Calvinists commonly ask in opposition to Calvinism, being turned back at us --

Does "ALL" actually mean "ALL;" and does "NONE" actually mean "NONE"?

• Members
On 12/17/2020 at 10:14 AM, Yeshuafan said:

I believe that all infants are elected by God unto salvation, and I am a Ca

So then only "elect" babies die? 

What about all those aborted? Were they chosen also?

Can I have some scripture for this rabbit hole?

Edited by SureWord

• Administrators
On 12/17/2020 at 7:14 AM, Yeshuafan said:

If, as you  said; "all infants are elected by God unto salvation", then it would follow that all people are elected to salvation, after all, all people were once babies.

Following this ridiculous train of thought, then no one would be lost. You said that that was what you believed; I would ask why you believe that; does Scripture indicate that anywhere?

• Members
On 12/19/2020 at 2:17 PM, Danny Carlton said:

You assume the condemnation of sin is some arbitrary attribute, genetically handed down. What we inherit from Adam is both the knowledge of right and wrong coupled with the inability to always choose what is right. That creates sin, and condemns us. It's not until a child reaches the age of accountability that they make a sinful choice, and at that point become a sinner, in need of salvation. Sin is something we do. A sin nature is something we inherit, but doesn't become sin until we make that first choice to sin, understanding that it's wrong. Our sin nature itself does not condemn us, our choice to sin does.

We are all affected by the results of the fall, as all are born as spiritual dead in sin!

On 12/20/2020 at 8:11 AM, Pastor Scott Markle said:

Psalm 58:3 -- "The wicked are estranged from the womb: they go astray as soon as they be born, speaking lies."

Romans 5:18 -- "Therefore as by the offence of one judgment came upon ALL men to condemnation; even so by the righteousness of one the free gift came upon all men unto justification of life."

Roman 3:10-12 -- "As it is written, There is none righteous, no, not one: there is none that understandeth, there is none that seeketh after God.  They are all gone out of the way, they are together become unprofitable; there is none that doeth good, no, not one."

Romans 3:23 -- "For all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God."

Romans 3:19 -- "Now we know that what things soever the law saith, it saith to them who are under the law: that every  mouth may be stopped, and ALL the world may become guilty before God."

So, here is a question that we non-Calvinists commonly ask in opposition to Calvinism, being turned back at us --

Does "ALL" actually mean "ALL;" and does "NONE" actually mean "NONE"?

we were all judged by God as being in Adam, so the spiritual death that came upon Him right after he sinned as now happened to all of us, hence the need to be born again!

• Members
15 hours ago, SureWord said:

So then only "elect" babies die? 

What about all those aborted? Were they chosen also?

Can I have some scripture for this rabbit hole?

All infants to my understanding are elected by the Father to be saved by the death of Jesus...

• Members
14 hours ago, Jim_Alaska said:

If, as you  said; "all infants are elected by God unto salvation", then it would follow that all people are elected to salvation, after all, all people were once babies.

Following this ridiculous train of thought, then no one would be lost. You said that that was what you believed; I would ask why you believe that; does Scripture indicate that anywhere?

No, we hold that the Lord knows who will be dying as a baby, and He makes sure that they will be part of His redeemed!

Using your own logic, just as ridiculous to hold that there will be still lost sinner sin Hell who Jesus died in the place of for their sins!

• Members
On 11/21/2020 at 9:46 AM, Baptistsenior said:

Why do preachers that condemn Calvanism quote Spurgeon so often?  

PTL. I Love the little Word "ALL" and the little word "all" is not hard to understand except for some "religion club" members!!

God our Savior,
4 who desires "all" men to be saved and to come to the knowledge of the truth.
5 For there is one God, and one mediator also between God and men, the man Christ Jesus,
6 who gave Himself as a ransom for "all", the testimony given at the proper time. 1 Timothy 2:4
The Lord is not slow about His promise, as some count slowness, but
is patient toward you,
not wishing for ""any"" to perish but for "all" to come to repentance. 2 Peter 3:9
It's a nice little word isn't it

John 1:7 (KJV 1900)
7 The same came for a witness, to bear witness of the Light, that ""all ""men through him might believe.
Romans 5:18 (KJV 1900)
18 Therefore as by the offence of one judgment came upon ""all""men to condemnation; even so by the righteousness of one the free gift came upon ""all"" men unto justification of life.
1 Timothy 4:10 (KJV 1900)
10 For therefore we both labour and suffer reproach, because we trust in the living God, who is the Saviour of ""all"" men, specially of those that believe.
Titus 2:11 (KJV 1900)
11 For the grace of God that bringeth salvation hath appeared to ""all"" men,
Isaiah 45:22 (KJV 1900)
22 Look unto me, and be ye saved, all the ends of the earth:
For I am God, and there is none else.

How to be saved (born again) and join the family of God!!!

Romans: Chapter 10 verse 9-10-13 GOD SAYS=

That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus,
and shalt believe in your heart that God hath raised him
from the dead, thou shalt be Saved. For with the heart man
believeth unto righteousness; and with the mouth confession
is made unto Salvation. For whosoever shall call upon the
name of the Lord shall be Saved....................

---------------------------------------------------------- ----------------------

An example prayer for those that have never talked to God!

Heavenly Father:........................................... ...............................
I come to you in prayer asking for the forgiveness of
my Sins. I confess with my mouth and believe with my
heart that Jesus is your Son, And that he died on the
Cross at Calvary that I might be forgiven and have
Eternal Life in the Kingdom of Heaven. Father, I believe
that Jesus rose from the dead and I ask you right now
to come in to my life and be my personal Lord and
Savior. I repent of my Sins and will Worship you all the
day's of my Life!. Because your word is truth, I confess
with my mouth that I am Born Again and Cleansed
by the Blood of Jesus! In Jesus Name, Amen

• Members
3 hours ago, Yeshuafan said:

No, we hold that the Lord knows who will be dying as a baby, and He makes sure that they will be part of His redeemed!

Using your own logic, just as ridiculous to hold that there will be still lost sinner sin Hell who Jesus died in the place of for their sins!

You don't have any scripural proof for this. It's pure private interpetation. 

Nobody is elected to be saved or damned by the arbitrary will of God. This is nothing but the deluded reasonings of the Protestant Pope, i.e.  John Calvin. This is no different than the RCCs limbo fantasy nonsense. Pure conjecture. You are elected to be conformed to the image of God's dear Son when you accept him as you Lord and Savior. The predestination was set by the foreknowledge of God but it doesn't kick in until after you exercise your freewill by faith in the gospel. Not before. You have the cart before the horse.

The only thing that you can scriptural support concerning babies is that God does not impute sin to them when there is no knowledge of the law whether scriptural or the law of God written on the heart. Therefore, even though the are sinful, as proven by death, sin is not imputed to them therefore they die in innocency. 

Even in this case there is no mention whether babies who die are part of the body of Christ. They end up in heaven is all we know.