Online Baptist Community

Calvinism

• Independent Fundamental Baptist

Another thing about Spurgeon is that he never let Theological intellectualism to get in the way of the practical commands of scripture. So while he was a Calvinist he was also very concerned with carrying out the great commission through evangelism. Also if one looks beyond his Calvinism and into most of his messages they will see a person more in line with today's Fundamentalist Baptist than with today's Reformed Calvinist.

• Members
2 hours ago, John Young said:

Another thing about Spurgeon is that he never let Theological intellectualism to get in the way of the practical commands of scripture. So while he was a Calvinist he was also very concerned with carrying out the great commission through evangelism. Also if one looks beyond his Calvinism and into most of his messages they will see a person more in line with today's Fundamentalist Baptist than with today's Reformed Calvinist.

Yes, he was a Calvinist who practiced soul winning.

Not necessarily. He evidently learned it from Scripture study.

Now, I believe we all agree God is perfectly-just. Would it be perfectly-just for Him to create people predestinated for hell no matter what?

Obviously, God created some people predestined to serve Him, such as Moses, Jeremiah, & Paul, among others. And we are repeatedly exhorted to spread the Gospel, by Jesus Himself, & the apostles. He would not have done that, nor given the "Great Commission" if everyone were already predestinated with no chance to change it.

I choose to believe 2 Peter 3:9 & NOT tiptoe thru the TULIP !

• Administrators
26 minutes ago, Bouncing Bill said:

So, was Spurgeon predestined to believe in free will?

And so it goes; the fatal mistake of all Hyper-Calvinists. God's Word never indicates that predestination applies to anything other than that, those who are saved be conformed to the image of His Son. Romans 8:29 (KJV) For whom he did foreknow, he also did predestinate to be conformed to the image of his Son, that he might be the firstborn among many brethren.

God's Word never says or indicates that anyone is predestined to be saved or go to Hell. As a matter of fact God's Word does not indicate that anyone is predestined to anything other than to be conformed to the image of his Son once they are saved.

Calvinism is and always has been an invention of the fertile mind of man that seeks to prove a fallacious belief, rather than allowing Scripture to dictate an accurate interpretation of itself.

• Members

Predestination solely has to do with the final outcome of those who believe in the Son of God. God has determined beforehand that all who receive his Son by their own freewill will someday be conformed into the image of his Son. 

Spurgeon may have believed Calvin's nonsense in his head but the Holy Ghost in his heart told him otherwise.

Edited by SureWord

• Members
On 11/24/2020 at 7:49 AM, Jim_Alaska said:

And so it goes; the fatal mistake of all Hyper-Calvinists. God's Word never indicates that predestination applies to anything other than that, those who are saved be conformed to the image of His Son. Romans 8:29 (KJV) For whom he did foreknow, he also did predestinate to be conformed to the image of his Son, that he might be the firstborn among many brethren.

God's Word never says or indicates that anyone is predestined to be saved or go to Hell. As a matter of fact God's Word does not indicate that anyone is predestined to anything other than to be conformed to the image of his Son once they are saved.

Calvinism is and always has been an invention of the fertile mind of man that seeks to prove a fallacious belief, rather than allowing Scripture to dictate an accurate interpretation of itself.

Predestination refers to only the Elected by the father to be now found in Christ, not to the lost!

On 11/24/2020 at 8:14 AM, SureWord said:

Predestination solely has to do with the final outcome of those who believe in the Son of God. God has determined beforehand that all who receive his Son by their own freewill will someday be conformed into the image of his Son. 

Spurgeon may have believed Calvin's nonsense in his head but the Holy Ghost in his heart told him otherwise.

Interesting how so many non calvinists like to use term Hyper Cal, even though they are a minority fringe in Calvinism!

• Members
2 hours ago, DaChaser said:

Predestination refers to only the Elected by the father to be now found in Christ, not to the lost!

Interesting how so many non calvinists like to use term Hyper Cal, even though they are a minority fringe in Calvinism!

I don't recall using that word but I once read some stuff by a Calvinist who taught that God will toss babies into hell. Now I imagine he's a "Hyper" yet, let me tell you, he was the most consistent Calvinist in his beliefs I've ever read. 

33 minutes ago, SureWord said:

I don't recall using that word but I once read some stuff by a Calvinist who taught that God will toss babies into hell. Now I imagine he's a "Hyper" yet, let me tell you, he was the most consistent Calvinist in his beliefs I've ever read. 

Have you ever met a Calvinist who did not believe they were a member of the elect?

• Members
3 hours ago, Bouncing Bill said:

Have you ever met a Calvinist who did not believe they were a member of the elect?

ALL who are saved think they are part of the elect, the difference is how they became elected!

4 hours ago, SureWord said:

Think Calvin stated Hell is full of babies, but I choose to see it as God has chosen to elect unto salvation all infants!

• Members
3 hours ago, Bouncing Bill said:

Not sure what you asking? "They" as in babies or "they" as in Calvinists in general?

All I know is if you hold to that false doctrine you end up with babies getting tossed into eternal flames and are supposed to give God thanks for that which that gentleman said we must do.

They only way out of this logical conclusion is to say:

1) Only elect babies die, i.e. God knew in his foreknowledge the babies who would die and predestined them to heaven.

or

2) Babies who die before the age of accountability were never predestined either way and are not a member of the bride of Christ specifically but a member of the family of God in general (Ephesians 3:14,15).

• Members
43 minutes ago, DaChaser said:

ALL who are saved think they are part of the elect, the difference is how they became elected!

Think Calvin stated Hell is full of babies, but I choose to see it as God has chosen to elect unto salvation all infants!

Honestly, I've never read Calvin's (aka the Protestant Pope) writings himself but I have read some of Loraine Boettner who was a hardcore, 5-Point Tuliper and was as dry, boring and dreadful as can be. I've heard he took Calvin's heresies even farther than Calvin ever imagined (minus the burning at the stake of anyone who disagreed with him).