• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Wise words about COVID

• Administrators

I posted it simply because I just found it. It was relevant at that time and the numbers are still relevant. They proved at that time that there were significantly more deaths from flu that Covid for that time period. That has not changed and no amount of hype or proven inaccurate testing can change it. 

And it is relevant now, months later, because the main point of that post was that there has never been anything in history that has ever warranted the shutdown of this country and even the world. Covid19 has a 99% recovery rate and the flu recovery rate pales by comparison.

5 hours ago, Jim_Alaska said:

I posted it simply because I just found it. It was relevant at that time and the numbers are still relevant. They proved at that time that there were significantly more deaths from flu that Covid for that time period. That has not changed and no amount of hype or proven inaccurate testing can change it. 

And it is relevant now, months later, because the main point of that post was that there has never been anything in history that has ever warranted the shutdown of this country and even the world. Covid19 has a 99% recovery rate and the flu recovery rate pales by comparison.

I figured you had a good reason to post the April numbers. Was just curious.

There are far more deaths this yes to Covid than to flu. We do have shots for flu, but some will not take them. That is their choice. A 99% recovery rate does not do much for the grief for the families and friends of the over 250,000 who have died. 

I do not agree that the first post indicates there has never been anything like Covid in the past. The Black Death that sweep through Europe comes to mind as well as the Spanish Flu in 1918 and 1919. I read a piece my mother wrote about that flu. She said there was a line of wagons running day and night taking bodies to the cemetery for burial. 

It is interesting, if you look into the history of the reactions to the pandemic of 1918 you discover they have the same opinions and discussions we are now having with this one.

All the OP was did was ask two simple questions. It was not a philosophical or political post IMYO.

• Administrators

I did not say that there has never been anything like Covid in the past. I said that "there has never been anything in history that has ever warranted the shutdown of this country and even the world" I stand by it.

The  grief regarding the families who have lost loved ones is tragic, no one is insensitive to this. But the numbers that are supposedly attributed to Covid are faulty in that, many people who have died actually died from underlying existing health problems. Just because they had Covid markers when they died does not mean they died from Covid. 

31 minutes ago, Jim_Alaska said:

I did not say that there has never been anything like Covid in the past. I said that "there has never been anything in history that has ever warranted the shutdown of this country and even the world" I stand by it.

The  grief regarding the families who have lost loved ones is tragic, no one is insensitive to this. But the numbers that are supposedly attributed to Covid are faulty in that, many people who have died actually died from underlying existing health problems. Just because they had Covid markers when they died does not mean they died from Covid. 

You are probably correct in that countries have not been shut down before. That does not mean they should not be shut down now nor does it mean they should not have shutdown. I do not know enough to either condemn or praise the shutdown. IMHO there is not enough information available to determine if it was wise or foolish. Only history can help us make such a determination.

We will never know what would have happened if there had been no shutdown. We do know that the pandemic has spread rapidly as states opened up their economies. The Mayo Clinic published an interesting article on the long-term effects of COVID. To what extent should this influence government reactions. I don't know. We know a lot about the results of flu. We have little information the on the aftermath of COVID. It seems it is really hard on some people. To what extent does this make COVID an acceptable risk or not. I don't know. 

I hope no one on the board had to find out.

• Members
11 hours ago, Bouncing Bill said:

You are probably correct in that countries have not been shut down before. That does not mean they should not be shut down now nor does it mean they should not have shutdown. I do not know enough to either condemn or praise the shutdown. IMHO there is not enough information available to determine if it was wise or foolish. Only history can help us make such a determination.

We will never know what would have happened if there had been no shutdown. We do know that the pandemic has spread rapidly as states opened up their economies. The Mayo Clinic published an interesting article on the long-term effects of COVID. To what extent should this influence government reactions. I don't know. We know a lot about the results of flu. We have little information the on the aftermath of COVID. It seems it is really hard on some people. To what extent does this make COVID an acceptable risk or not. I don't know. 

I hope no one on the board had to find out.

Bill, why don't you just get yourself a biohazard suit, oxygen tent and stay inside your home never leaving. You might catch a cold if you don't. 

6 hours ago, SureWord said:

Bill, why don't you just get yourself a biohazard suit, oxygen tent and stay inside your home never leaving. You might catch a cold if you don't. 

Actually may wife and I will have a COVID test today as she has been having symptoms. I certainly do not want to spread it if we are positive. We will stay in our cottage until we receive the results of the test. If they are positive and it is a light case we will stay inside. If it is negative then we will go out again. 

• Administrators

These tests are being used by officials to ramp up the numbers of those infected as an excuse for more lockdowns and restrictions. Notice in this report how many times tests came back negative before actually showing a real positive result. So then, under this scenario one could test negative and then go out and spread the disease, thinking that they are OK. 

Flawed and inaccurate Covid19 testing