• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

• Moderators

Preaching/teaching is not necessarily a pastor-only job, so those preaching/teaching are not necessarily limited to pastoral requirements, whatever they may be. Teaching in particular may done by women (to other women or children), so that obviously would not be linked to the position of pastor.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Moderators
On 10/30/2020 at 1:10 AM, Brother Stafford said:

Do any pastors have any thoughts on this?

From a simple, direct reading of the passages dealing with this, to me, it seems clear that it is directed at, specifically, a pastor/Elder/Bishop, whichever you'd like to use, the leader of a local church, that he be married to only one woman, ie, not have multiple wives at the same time. I don't believe it is saying that an unmarried man cannot be a pastor, (particularly with what Paul has to say about it being good for a man not to have the need to be married, so he can concentrate his mind on the Lord and His work, solely, as opposed to being pulled two ways, between a wife and the Lord). Nor do I believe this is a command against divorce; clearly divorce is not ideal, nor is it how God designed marriage to be, but that, in both OT AND NT, the Lord gave acceptable reasons for divorce, I don't believe that it keeps one from being a pastor, or that it is, as I have seen it practiced, the unforgivable sin. At absolute worst, it is a sin, and such sin can be placed under the blood and forgiven.  

Now, if a pastor is found to be unfaithful to his wife, it should be the church to hold him accountable, and consider, if he cannot be faithful to his spouse, ought he to be trusted with the Lord's church?