• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

The New Independent Fundamental Baptist? 

• Members

Most, if not all, denominations arose because of a rejection of some Bible truth and/or an acceptation of something unbiblical being added to their beliefs or practices. The solution isn't to pretend that these differences don't matter, the solution is to find out what the Bible does teach in regards to our faith and practice, and stand there regardless of whatever label apostate Christendom or the world places upon us.

For example, the name Anabaptist (from which the name Baptist essentially derives from) came from the Catholic Church and other Protestant groups saying they were "rebaptizing" their converts - whereas the truth is that the Bible DOES NOT teach infant baptism, but teaches believer's baptism.

For the record, IFB stands for Independant Fundamental Baptists. That means it is not a denomination, there is no hierarchy or headquarters telling us what to believe or what to practice. Each independant Baptist church stands alone before God and is accountable to Him alone. They may fellowship with other likeminded churches, but are not yoked together. And the Fundamental part means that (at least historically - and yes, unfortunately there are many that no longer stand where they once stood) they stand alone on the Word of God, holding to all the fundamentals of the faith (and usually all the Baptist Distinctives - ie. what makes a Baptist a Baptist).

In this case, IFB is a good label that identifies what a church body and the individuals members in that body believe (assuming they are living/believing what they profess to believe).

• 1 year later...
  • Members
On 9/10/2020 at 8:19 PM, SureWord said:

I suspect more and more Baptists will move towards this movement. Especially with the growing hatred of Jews within Baptist churches.

I haven't seen this. Maybe I don't get around enough. No Jew bashing in my church.

• Members
On 9/27/2021 at 7:35 PM, Jerry said:

Most, if not all, denominations arose because of a rejection of some Bible truth and/or an acceptation of something unbiblical being added to their beliefs or practices. The solution isn't to pretend that these differences don't matter, the solution is to find out what the Bible does teach in regards to our faith and practice, and stand there regardless of whatever label apostate Christendom or the world places upon us.

May I suggest that the reformation churches were formed as a rejection of false Catholic doctrine and practices. They just didn't go far enough. By and large though, the denominations we see today are as you say. I am adding to your argument and not contradicting you. Thank you for your consideration.

• Members
14 hours ago, Joe Chandler said:

I haven't seen this. Maybe I don't get around enough. No Jew bashing in my church.

The New IFB is made up of mostly IFB who have split off. Just because it's not happening in your church doesn't mean it's not going on elsewhere.

• Members
16 hours ago, Joe Chandler said:

Yes, a man named Steve Anderson,a real character, started this movement. He seems to be in trouble more and more, but still is gaining ground in many disgruntled IFB congratulations. 

• Members
3 hours ago, BrotherTony said:

Yes, a man named Steve Anderson,a real character, started this movement. He seems to be in trouble more and more, but still is gaining ground in many disgruntled IFB congratulations. 

I have seen 3 excerpts of him on Youtube. David Cloud produced an expose on him. He has a lot of issues such as denying the holocaust. He is a non issue in my church.

Edited by Joe Chandler

• Members
5 hours ago, SureWord said:

The New IFB is made up of mostly IFB who have split off. Just because it's not happening in your church doesn't mean it's not going on elsewhere.

I am not denying your claim. I am saying that there is hope. There is also a group called Recovering Fundamentalists. I am not one of them either. I have nothing to recover from.

• Members
1 hour ago, Joe Chandler said:

I have seen 3 excerpts of him on Youtube. David Cloud produced an expose on him. He has a lot of issues such as denying the holocaust. He is a non issue in my church.

I had interactions with him on a forum known as the FFF years ago. The FFF was the Fighting Fundamentalist Forums. Not many here in my area take him seriously.

• Members
1 hour ago, Joe Chandler said:

I am not denying your claim. I am saying that there is hope. There is also a group called Recovering Fundamentalists. I am not one of them either. I have nothing to recover from.

You're lucky that you weren't in one of the churches that are IFB that has a history of being abusive. Many people have been abused, me being one, along with my family. We stayed and worked through most of it. My last service as an IFB church member came in June of 2000 when our pastor got up and went on a rant about a man/pastor named Joe Combs (a Hyles graduate) and his wife had been arrested for child sexual abuse and abuse itself. He said that it was a setup and that anyone who didn't like that was blind and he'd rather not have them in "his" church. The abuse had been well documented and many members of Combs church agreed it was true. At any rate, my wife and I both grabbed our Bibles, stood up and headed for the nearest exit. We had seen and heard this line in several other IFB associated churches we had been members of, and most had been associated with Hyles. It was the last straw for us. Anderson seems to fit the mold of " preachers" like Jim Jones, Greg Locke, etc al. 

• Members
15 minutes ago, BrotherTony said:

You're lucky that you weren't in one of the churches that are IFB that has a history of being abusive. Many people have been abused, me being one, along with my family.

Tony, I have seen first hand what a bad pastor can do. This guy was also a Hyles-Anderson grad. He divided families and eventually killed the church altogether. There used to be 2 good IFB churches in Jesup, GA. They each ran over 100 at one point. Now there is 1 IFB church left and we run less then 60. Many of my personal friends will talk to me, but will not attend our church, because of all the damage done. Some drive to another city to church and others go to SBC churches.

I stay IFB, because I believe in the worship, the Bible we use, and the hymns we sing. 

Edited by Joe Chandler