• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Who defines 'false religion'?

• Administrators
On 8/5/2020 at 10:39 AM, Bouncing Bill said:

Just curious on your thoughts on this.

I'll echo what @DaChaser said. Doctrine is directly from the Bible, anything contrary to that is false. With that being said, God defines it.

I'm not sure the intent of the original question. ?

• 10 months later...
  • Members
On 8/5/2020 at 9:39 AM, Bouncing Bill said:

The Creator.

Somewhere decades ago I read and believe "God Hates Religion, but He Loves People"

Just yesterday I read about the origin of 'religion' (either the word or the idea or the practice).   It apparently came from rome/ greek thinking,  having nothing to do with the life the Creator Says To Live, nor anything to do with Faith in Jesus the Messiah.

Religions of the world, in society, are never endorsed by the Creator nor anywhere in Scripture, as far as I know.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

Growing up in the Protestant mid-west,  Protestants called catholicism the false religion, or the beast, as Martin Luther and the other Redeemers showed from the Revelation/Understanding of Scripture between 1500 to 1800 or so.

In direct contrast to that, at the same time, the one world church in rome called false religion as anyone not catholic,  I think.   According to them, the only way to get to heaven is to be catholic.  

Jesus says turn to the Creator, for His Kingdom is at hand, close by,  and the only way to receive eternal life is to be born again by the Will of the Father in heaven, trusting Him (without faith it is impossible to please God;  and faith is a gift as well as choosing to live His Way Trusting) .

In Scripture,  the Creator says He curses anyone who trusts mankind or idols or other gods or the flesh.  i.e. anything besides the Father.   I don't think He ever says to trust the religious leaders, or even the apostles/ messengers of God,  or any government.

On 8/5/2020 at 9:39 AM, Bouncing Bill said:

On 8/10/2020 at 6:41 AM, PastorMatt said:

I'll echo what @DaChaser said. Doctrine is directly from the Bible, anything contrary to that is false. With that being said, God defines it.

I'm not sure the intent of the original question. ?

• Members

False religions are found all throughout the Bible. GOD is the one who has set forth the guidelines of what is "false religion!" Anything that denies that he is the one and only GOD, and that Jesus is the Christ, or that there is a Holy Spirit, is heresy...ie...false religion!

• Members
12 hours ago, PastorMatt said:

Pretty clear to me!!!

For the world though,  the devil defines false religion.  That way, the people deceived by the devil, get to call every other group false, and they keep believing they themselves are right.  Hasn't that been the way the world works for thousands of years now,  as Scripture says ?

• Members
1 hour ago, jeff_student_of_Jesus said:

For the world though,  the devil defines false religion.  That way, the people deceived by the devil, get to call every other group false, and they keep believing they themselves are right.  Hasn't that been the way the world works for thousands of years now,  as Scripture says ?

I think the Bible clearly tells us who defines true or "Pure" religion. 

James 1:24-27

24For he beholdeth himself, and goeth his way, and straightway forgetteth what manner of man he was. 25But whoso looketh into the perfect law of liberty, and continueth therein, he being not a forgetful hearer, but a doer of the work, this man shall be blessed in his deed. 26If any man among you seem to be religious, and bridleth not his tongue, but deceiveth his own heart, this man's religion is vain. 27Pure religion and undefiled before God and the Father is this, To visit the fatherless and widows in their affliction, and to keep himself unspotted from the world.

Also see:

Galatians 1:8-12

King James Version

8 But though we, or an angel from heaven, preach any other gospel unto you than that which we have preached unto you, let him be accursed. 9) As we said before, so say I now again, if any man preach any other gospel unto you than that ye have received, let him be accursed. 10 For do I now persuade men, or God? or do I seek to please men? for if I yet pleased men, I should not be the servant of Christ. 11 But I certify you, brethren, that the gospel which was preached of me is not after man. 12 For I neither received it of man, neither was I taught it, but by the revelation of Jesus Christ.

Sort of puts what "religion" should be according to the Bible. There are many other passages, but I think these will do for the time being.

• Members
4 hours ago, BrotherTony said:

I think the Bible clearly tells us who defines true or "Pure" religion. 

This is truth for Ekklesia (true people of God). 

Even of them/us/ God says IF My People,  repent ...  turn from their wicked ways ...

So that would be not pure people.

Then in the world,  they (not God's people, the worldly, fleshly, unregenerate heathen) do not care what the Bible clearly tells us.  They prefer the definitions that suit them,  that they are encouraged to believe,  that allows them to feel as if they are okay, when in fact and in truth they are on the road to destruction and will be destroyed if God does not grant them to turn to Him and repent.   To learn from Him, from His Word,  what true religion is.

• Members
36 minutes ago, jeff_student_of_Jesus said:

This is truth for Ekklesia (true people of God). 

Even of them/us/ God says IF My People,  repent ...  turn from their wicked ways ...

So that would be not pure people.

Then in the world,  they (not God's people, the worldly, fleshly, unregenerate heathen) do not care what the Bible clearly tells us.  They prefer the definitions that suit them,  that they are encouraged to believe,  that allows them to feel as if they are okay, when in fact and in truth they are on the road to destruction and will be destroyed if God does not grant them to turn to Him and repent.   To learn from Him, from His Word,  what true religion is.

So, Jeff, who in what I posted would be the impure people? The passages I posted are to Christians, not to the world. 

• Members
46 minutes ago, BrotherTony said:

So, Jeff, who in what I posted would be the impure people? The passages I posted are to Christians, not to the world. 

Some posting want to post to true Christians,  in this and other forums/ sites/ webpages.

That's okay.

Most reading are impure,  whether Christian or the world. 

THat's okay.

The Bible does say clearly what pure religion is.

That's Good and Okay!

The world,  most readers, most residents or citizens, most in and most out of church,  don't get it,  even if they pretend to.

That's okay.

The question was or is or the title - who defines 'false' religion?

Whoever wants to.   It happens every day, worldwide, in and out of church or religious groups.

That's okay.