• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Can religious co-exist side-by-side?

• Members
22 hours ago, Bouncing Bill said:

I forgot to tell you about a Jordanian Muslim lady I met. She had just finished a masters degree in Management of Conflict Resolution at the Eastern Mennonite University in Harrisonburg, VA. She said that the English Qur'an that is distributed in the West is a Saudi translation. She had never seen one before coming to the USA. She said, "I was horrified when I read it. It is a very bad translation and I can see why people here hate us. It puts words in the Profits mouth that are not in the Arabic version. If I thought the followers of the Profit were believers as shown in the English translation, I would hate them also." She was returning to Jordan to work with a Muslim agency trying to promote peace between Israel and Jordan.

It is a shame we are limited by language and cannot read the original. Just like, at least for me, it is not good that I do not understand Greek or Hebrew. I have to depend on translations and I know that meaning is lost in any translation. There are concepts in one language that are spoken with one word but that cannot be translated into another language with one word. Meaning is lost. The three Greek words in the Bible, Eros, Agape, and Philia, when translated into English must be written as "love." But much is lost as those three loves are different. The prime example of this is when Christ asked Peter three times if he [Peter] loved him. In English it is always one word, 'love'. But in Greek this is not true. The first two times Christ uses the word, Agape and Peter replies Philia. Finally, the third time Christ changes the word and asks if he [Peter] Philias him. Big difference and Peter never uses the deeper, most pure word agape.

By the way, do you agree with me that the only way to win Muslims to Christ is through love?

there are currently 37 known seperate Arabic editions of the Koran, with thousands of differences between each on of them and the accepted standard version, so even in Arabic still very bad theology!

17 hours ago, NotAshamed said:

Interesting video.  I did watch it all the way through.

To answer the topic in the thread title: Yes, I do think religions can exist side-by-side.  After all, Christianity existed alongside other religions from its start, although it suffered persecution pretty much from the start, too.

One question I would have is if the other religions would let Christianity exist alongside them.  I realize that is the premise of the video.  But, the unknown is when it comes to evangelism.  That is part of our faith, too...not just praying in our churches, which is what the video emphasizes.  

That is where the rubber hits the road and is a point not addressed in the video.  What happens if the Christians (or other religions) try to lead others to their faith?  Will they still be tolerated?

I’m not trying to insinuate one way or the other, but the question entered my mind as I watched the video.

if a christian even has a bible in places such as Saudi Arabia, that is a killable offense AGAINST ISLAM!

14 hours ago, Jim_Alaska said:

Bill, my previous post to you about zeroing in on Islam and defending it on our board was not a suggestion, it was a request from a moderator that you have now chosen to disregard with your last two posts. Understand that I am not the only one that dislikes what you posted, I have had complaints from other board members also.

If your posts that completely disregarded my request were accidents I could overlook them, but they were no accidents, they were intentional. For this cause I a awarding you two penaty points, please note that our board rules state that three penalty point is sufficient to ban a member. Please take this to heart, I do not like banning anyone.

I think that many Christians have been duped into believing that Islam is this so called religion of peace, while in truth, it is a satanic counterfeit, with a false Jesus and a false gospel and a false god!

• Members

there are currently 37 known seperate Arabic editions of the Koran, with thousands of differences between each on of them and the accepted standard version, so even in Arabic still very bad theology!”

DaChaser -  I am not sure where you read or seen this, but as someone who has studied Islam for nearly 19 years I am not aware of multiple Qurans. There are different many English Qurans and can be slightly different worded depending on the translator. Too my knowledge I am unaware of any “editions” in the Arabic text. It’s similar to different translations/versions of the Bible where they word things different but mean the same thing.

• Members

Despite their claims of only one Quran there are 20 different Arabic versions and seven versions mentioned in the Hadith. This is in Arabic. But apparently, today's Arabic is not quite the same Arabic as Mohammad would have spoken (he was illiterate). Just like today's Greek is not the same as New Testament Greek.

Sadly, as far as English versions of the Bible there's probably over 300 now, that's including paraphrases and ones not in print anymore. I have a list of nearly 250 versions/paraphrases from 1900 to 2000. So I assume at least 50 more have been churned out since then. $$$ From what I've read about American copyright law is there has to be at least 10,000 changes to the English text for it to qualify as a new version of the bible.

No wonder nobody believes the bible anymore. Scholars have made a farce out of it.

• Members

It’s my understanding that before the time of Uthman ibn Affan there were versions that were slightly different. We have to remember that back then in Saudi Arabia the Quran  was stored in people’s memories because of its poetic and easily memorized. Even children today learn to memorize the Quran.

If that was the case then I’m sure many people had forgotten or confused certain parts which was causing a lot of confusion about which was authentic. When Uthman became the third caliph he decided to examine and compile all the variations and was able to discern what belonged in the scripture and what did it. So Uthmans Quran is the one we have today. 

Edited by Disciple.Luke

• Members
On 8/8/2020 at 9:58 PM, Disciple.Luke said:

there are currently 37 known seperate Arabic editions of the Koran, with thousands of differences between each on of them and the accepted standard version, so even in Arabic still very bad theology!”

DaChaser -  I am not sure where you read or seen this, but as someone who has studied Islam for nearly 19 years I am not aware of multiple Qurans. There are different many English Qurans and can be slightly different worded depending on the translator. Too my knowledge I am unaware of any “editions” in the Arabic text. It’s similar to different translations/versions of the Bible where they word things different but mean the same thing.

There were 30 known different Arabic versions of the Koran, and at present time, 37 Arabic versions available! Not translations, but in Arabic! This refutes the Muslim take of but one Koran!

On 8/9/2020 at 10:02 AM, SureWord said:

Despite their claims of only one Quran there are 20 different Arabic versions and seven versions mentioned in the Hadith. This is in Arabic. But apparently, today's Arabic is not quite the same Arabic as Mohammad would have spoken (he was illiterate). Just like today's Greek is not the same as New Testament Greek.

Sadly, as far as English versions of the Bible there's probably over 300 now, that's including paraphrases and ones not in print anymore. I have a list of nearly 250 versions/paraphrases from 1900 to 2000. So I assume at least 50 more have been churned out since then. $$$ From what I've read about American copyright law is there has to be at least 10,000 changes to the English text for it to qualify as a new version of the bible.

No wonder nobody believes the bible anymore. Scholars have made a farce out of it.

18 hours ago, Disciple.Luke said:

It’s my understanding that before the time of Uthman ibn Affan there were versions that were slightly different. We have to remember that back then in Saudi Arabia the Quran  was stored in people’s memories because of its poetic and easily memorized. Even children today learn to memorize the Quran.

If that was the case then I’m sure many people had forgotten or confused certain parts which was causing a lot of confusion about which was authentic. When Uthman became the third caliph he decided to examine and compile all the variations and was able to discern what belonged in the scripture and what did it. So Uthmans Quran is the one we have today. 

Muhhammed never had the Koran at his time, as first one made after he died, and another in 652, NO copies of that available now!

• 11 months later...
  • Members
On 8/10/2020 at 6:29 AM, DaChaser said:

There were 30 known different Arabic versions of the Koran, and at present time, 37 Arabic versions available! Not translations, but in Arabic! This refutes the Muslim take of but one Koran!

Muhhammed never had the Koran at his time, as first one made after he died, and another in 652, NO copies of that available now!

Yes I agree that there wasn't any Quran in written form during Muhammad's life time. While he was living the Quran was mostly memorized or verses written down on anything available.

My only point was that the first official written Quran was produced under the authority of the third caliph Uthman ibn Affan. I believe he decided to do compile a standard canon because after the death of Muhammad there started to be confusion about what was original taught as wrong verses crept in over time.