• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

When Christ ascended, he first descended into the lower parts of the earth. The question after his resurrection, did the OT saints wait for a while before they proceeded to heaven?

• Members
3 hours ago, mbkjpreacher said:

When Christ ascended, he first descended into the lower parts of the earth.  The question after his resurrection, did the OT saints wait for a while before they proceeded to heaven?

Jesus said a peculiar thing to Mary in John 20:17 where he told her not to touch him because he hadn't yet ascended to the Father. I believe this was because he hadn't yet gone into the "holiest of all" (Hebrews 10:19) to cleanse and make way for us as our High Priest. So there may have been two ascensions, the one to sanctify the way into heaven and the other in Acts 1. So as I see it there was a short time before the OT saints were resurrected and entered into heaven.

Edited by SureWord

• Members
On 7/25/2020 at 2:08 PM, SureWord said:

Jesus said a peculiar thing to Mary in John 20:17 where he told her not to touch him because he hadn't yet ascended to the Father. I believe this was because he hadn't yet gone into the "holiest of all" (Hebrews 10:19) to cleanse and make way for us as our High Priest. So there may have been two ascensions, the one to sanctify the way into heaven and the other in Acts 1. So as I see it there was a short time before the OT saints were resurrected and entered into heaven.

So that means If Christ had not yet ascended to heaven, how would you reconcile it that when he ascended he led captivity captive, that means he brought with him the OT saints, but when did he brought it with him, when he resurrected or when he ascended to heaven several days after his resurrection? 

• Moderators
16 hours ago, mbkjpreacher said:

So that means If Christ had not yet ascended to heaven, how would you reconcile it that when he ascended he led captivity captive, that means he brought with him the OT saints, but when did he brought it with him, when he resurrected or when he ascended to heaven several days after his resurrection? 

IF Christ first, after His resurrection, had to ascend to offer the final offering for sin before His Father in Heaven, that is when He brought the OT saints with Him. The sacrifice was complete. This didn't take long, by our standards, because he met with His disciples twice more in the day afterward, with the believers going to Emmaus, and that evening with His Apostles in the upper room, when He gave them the Holy Ghost.

• Members
On 7/28/2020 at 6:54 AM, Ukulelemike said:

IF Christ first, after His resurrection, had to ascend to offer the final offering for sin before His Father in Heaven, that is when He brought the OT saints with Him. The sacrifice was complete. This didn't take long, by our standards, because he met with His disciples twice more in the day afterward, with the believers going to Emmaus, and that evening with His Apostles in the upper room, when He gave them the Holy Ghost.

Do you mean that when Christ was resurrected, he brought with him the OT saints but they stopped for a while while he spent some days before his ascension, then where did the OT saints waited for him???  So he can lead them as he ascended upward and they could follow him? 

• Moderators
16 hours ago, mbkjpreacher said:

Do you mean that when Christ was resurrected, he brought with him the OT saints but they stopped for a while while he spent some days before his ascension, then where did the OT saints waited for him???  So he can lead them as he ascended upward and they could follow him? 

You're trying too hard to put physics in here. How it worked out is a mystery to us, because it isn't our business, we had no part nor lot in it. But He did it according to His will and timing just as surely as He has saved us.

• Members

It is not physics, rather we need to be sequential in the event, because we need to be able to explain well if people will ask us in our bible studies and certainly that question would arise.  That arose in my bible study as a clarification, did the saints proceeded to heaven in resurrection or ascension, and since Christ stayed for certain days then how would you answer that question to people who would ask you in Bible study?  So it is better to figure it out.. 

• Members
On 7/29/2020 at 11:52 PM, mbkjpreacher said:

It is not physics, rather we need to be sequential in the event, because we need to be able to explain well if people will ask us in our bible studies and certainly that question would arise.  That arose in my bible study as a clarification, did the saints proceeded to heaven in resurrection or ascension, and since Christ stayed for certain days then how would you answer that question to people who would ask you in Bible study?  So it is better to figure it out.. 

Since I do not hold to the same belief system concerning this matter, I do not find this to be a problem at all.

• 1 month later...
  • Members

Jesus said,  "Into thy hands I commit my Spirit".

Pretty clear, Jesus went to heaven after he died. I don't believe that Old Testament saints were in hell waiting for Jesus,  even if you believe paradise was the non-burning side of hell. Paradise is heaven and Jesus went there after his death