• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

• Members

To say allegory is only privately available to the apostles or select few would imply private interpretation of those passages. Which scripture makes very clear is not how biblical interpretation works. Allegory does not mean random private opinion applied to the text, like many seem to think. A simpler form of allegory would be when scripture uses feeding the ox treading the corn to convey a biblical principle which not only applies to the Ox in the passage but to all living Creature and in particular humans. Paul uses this same basic interpretation principle to show the SPIRITUAL covenants at work in the lives of Ishmael and Isaac and applies it to us today. Allegorical principles are discernible. I believe the same spiritual principles at work in the Book of Esther in that time are the same for the Jewish people in the end times.

2 Peter 1:20 knowing this first, that no prophecy of the scripture is of any private interpretation. [Meaning what interpretation of scripture is available for them is available for us]

1 Corinthians 9:7-10 7 Who goeth a warfare any time at his own charges? who planteth a vineyard, and eateth not of the fruit thereof? or who feedeth a flock, and eateth not of the milk of the flock? [Biblical principle: People should get paid for the work they do] 8 Say I these things as a man? or saith not the law the same also? [The law does not directly say it but gives the principle allegorically] 9 For it is written in the law of Moses, Thou shalt not muzzle the mouth of the ox that treadeth out the corn. [Principle in allegory] Doth God take care for oxen? [Yes but the law was not for oxen to learn but rather for man to apply the lean principle to all things, man and animal alike] 10 Or saith he it altogether for our sakes? For our sakes, no doubt, this is written: that he that ploweth should plow in hope; and that he that thresheth in hope should be partaker of his hope. [the literal was only about oxen but the spiritual principle for all was represented in allegory.]

To deny allegory would be to deny mankind the privilege afforded to oxen, simply because the text didn't expressly state  "mankind". It also would equally make no sense to reject all allegory unless someone who claimed divine inspiration gave express private interpretation (contrary to clear scripture) that it would be okay to give it to mankind as well.

Edited by John Young

• Members

Brother Young,

Is your above response directed partially toward my contentions, such that I may present a further response?  Or, do you wish that I should continue to refrain from engaging the discussion (unless directly engaged and compelled to do so)?

Edited by Pastor Scott Markle

• Members

Galatians 4:21-31 21 Tell me, ye that desire to be under the law, do ye not hear the law? [the literal law was a servant's covenant binding them to God] 22 For it is written, that Abraham had two sons, the one by a bondmaid [a subservient roll made to Abraham], the other by a freewoman [an equal, freely bound in marriage]. 23 But he who was of the bondwoman was born after the flesh [subject to bondage with no privileges]; but he of the freewoman was by promise [by faith in the privileges promised before marriage]. 24 Which things are an allegory [represents a spiritual principle that transcends that particular picture and can be applied to others]: for these are the two covenants; the one from the mount Sinai, [where the servant's covenant was made with God] which gendereth to bondage, which is Agar. 25 For this Agar is mount Sinai in Arabia [Both person and mount represent the same type of principle/covenant], and answereth to Jerusalem are subject to which now is, and is in bondage with her children. 26 But Jerusalem which is above is free, which is the mother of us all. [the Servant covenant is subject to the Free covenant, Israel is servant to Christ,] 27 For it is written, Rejoice, thou barren that bearest not; break forth and cry, thou that travailest not: for the desolate hath many more children than she which hath an husband. 28 Now we, brethren, as Isaac was, are the children of promise. [Notice here, true to form and proper allegory, he now applies the principle present in each text, yet transcendent of the text, and applies it to us] 29 But as then he that was born after the flesh persecuted him that was born after the Spirit, even so it is now. [just like then the spiritual covenants apply to us] 30 Nevertheless what saith the scripture? Cast out the bondwoman and her son: for the son of the bondwoman shall not be heir with the son of the freewoman. 31 So then, brethren, we are not children of the bondwoman, but of the free. [just as the spiritual principle and spiritual problem carried over to us, so to the same spiritual solution]

In these examples, we see allegory in scripture is not some unique private interpretation, with unknowable revelation methods, only for a select few divinely inspired, relying only on apostolic authority. Rather Interpretation of spiritual principles through proper Biblical Allegory is available to all of us who are led of the Spirit. When Christ and the Apostles used an OT verse or example they did not say "just take my word for it nor did they say you'll only get this fom my special acsess to the Spirit. They did say all the scripture was Spiritually discerned, meaning the lost couldn't understand the spiritual principles of the text, but for bible believers they said "search the scriptures"! (See Matthew 13:10-15, and Acts 17:11-12)

Edited by John Young

• Members
On 7/27/2020 at 10:20 AM, Pastor Scott Markle said:

Is your above response directed partially toward my contentions, such that I may present a further response?  Or, do you wish that I should continue to refrain from engaging the discussion (unless directly engaged and compelled to do so)?

I welcome your insight and if you feel that it is a subject you want to discuss and improve upon then I have no problem with you continuing but not to contentions or offences. As I said before I like learning about these things not fighting about them. I realize we don't see eye to eye on the subject but I think we can move on in spite of that. My comments on the topic will be general because that is what I'd like to discuss and not necessarily the person who presented them.

• Members

So from these passages we can see biblical allegory (the spiritual principles under-girding the text) is available and discernible to the average and common believer if they set their mind to know them through the leading of the Holy Ghost. 

• Members

An other example of allegory, similar to the allegorical method used with Esther above, is the comparison between The "Cross of Christ" and the "Cross" of Israel's camp in the wilderness. In this, two literal things are compared and contrasted, to draw out the Spiritual principles common to them both. The two literal objects are not the same physical thing but they, both together, can present a better view of the spiritual. Brother James Melton has a Facebook post that illustrates it in the following way:

No photo description available.

THE BIGGEST CROSS EVER

Numbers 2:1-34: What first appears to be only a long list of names and numbers turns out to be a rather impressive picture of the cross of Christ. In all, there were twelve tribes consisting of 603,550 soldiers prepared for battle. In relation to the tabernacle, three tribes camped to the east, three to the west, three to the north, and three to the south. The totals are as follows:

East Encampment - 31% - 186,400
Judah – 74,600
Issachar – 54,400
Zebulun – 57,400

West Encampment - 18% - 108,100
Ephraim – 40,500
Manasseh – 32,200
Benjamin – 35,400

North Encampment – 26% - 157,600
Dan – 62,700
Asher – 41,500
Napthelai – 53,400

South Encampment – 25% - 151,450
Rueben – 46,500
Simeon – 59,300
Gad – 45,650

What’s interesting is how the numbers of soldiers in these four divisions form the shape of a cross. Beginning at the east and looking westward, the longest division formed the leg of the cross, consisting of 31% of the soldiers. The upper extension of the cross was formed by the smallest division on the west, where 18% of the soldiers camped. Then the horizontal beam of the cross was formed by the southern and northern encampments, with 25% to the south and 26% to the north. The tabernacle, picturing Christ, was right in the middle. So, looking down from heaven, the Father saw a continual reminder of His own Son’s sacrifice on Calvary. Baalim also saw this in Numbers 23:9-10 when he refused to curse Israel, though he didn't have a clue what he was seeing. You might say ole' Baalim was "looking forward to the cross." ?
-----------------------------------------------------------------

7 And he took up his parable, and saidBalak the king of Moab hath brought me from Aram, out of the mountains of the east, saying, Come, curse me Jacob, and come, defy Israel. 8 How shall I curse, whom God hath not cursed? or how shall I defy, whom the Lord hath not defied? 9 For from the top of the rocks I see him, and from the hills I behold him: lo, the people shall dwell alone, and shall not be reckoned among the nations. 10 Who can count the dust of Jacob, and the number of the fourth part of Israel? Let me die the death of the righteous, and let my last end be like his!

Edited by John Young