• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

• Members

(I was recently asked about what the overallĀ theme of Esther was, beyond the general story and the subject or the historical background. My friend was wanting to know if there was a good commentary that clearly laid out the Allegorical/Types found inĀ Esther. Its clear from reading the story that it holds more than just what is found on the surface but many commentaries do not go beyond a surface reading except to venture the fact that God orchestrated their salvation from behind the scenes. Those that did venture in to the allegorical tended to very odd or speculative ways that were not consistent with scripture, so I could not recommend even mentioning them and their theories. So I wrote my friend the overview as I understood it and I would like to submit it to the group to consider as well, to add to or clarify, or correct the interpretation. I wrote the following....:)

As I understand it, the allegory (God's spiritual principles being taught behind the physical actions and events of the bible stories) of Esther typifies the the end times events as it relates to the Jewish people/Israel and the rise of Christ and Israel back to prominence with God through obedience to His immutable Word. The allegory does not negate or excuse the flaws and practical applications of the story but is meant to show God's purpose behind making it part of scripture. In this we see many allusions to end times. There is much more in the details than this but the main characters represent:

King Ahasuerus: Represents God in his sovereignty over all the land.

King's Command/Word: Shows the Immutability God's word. It doesn't change and stands forever.

King's Ring: Represents the power of the kings word given to another to operate in the king's place.

The seven chamberlains: Represent the seven Spirits of God which are before His throne. They go forth to do the king's bidding and care for the King's concubines and for the Queen.

The seven princes/Wise men: Represent the Seven angels of the church. They go forth to all the land proclaiming the Kings word and gathering out of it the virgins for the king.

Queen Vashti: Represents Unbelieving Israel which refused to obey the King's command and to whom all the worlds wives (The nations of the world) looked to and were to emulate.

Queen Esther: Represents Believing Israel chosen from the virgins to replace unbelieving Israel.

Mordecai: Represents Christ who adopted Ester, raised her up, in his own house, and to whom she obeyed in all things, even after being made queen. He also initiated the persecution of the Jews by not submitting to Haman's authority.

The virgins: Represents all saved individuals gathered by the angels of the churches from all nations.

Haman: Represents the anti-Christ who rises to power in the end times and is given authority over the whole world by God but attempts to persecute Christ and those who keep his commandments because Christ refuses to submit/bow to his Authority.

Haman's ten sons/ those who follow Haman's Commands: The ten nations and wicked of revelation

In general the events go like this, Israel is living in God's land but refuses to live by her covenant with God nor to hear God's Word, so she is divorced and is removed from her position as queen, the King's wife. God then turns to the whole world looking for a queen who pleases and listens to Him. From the world He receives many chaste virgins into his household. From among those virgins he receives a believing Israel who is obedient to Christ and He makes her Queen. After all the virgins are received into the house of God, and the queen is established on earth (but not yet with her faith reveled), the Anti-Christ is given power by God over the world (Anti-Christ enters the temple), to whom all but Christ submits. In this refusal, Christ initiates the tribulation of the Jews and the Anti-Christ usurps his God given power to persecute and make war with them. Christ then, with believing Israel, seeks God's help in saving the Jews and removing the Anti-Christ from power. In this the Jews consolidate with Israel and submit to Christ and God casts out the Anti-Christ, his ten sons and gives His power over the world to Christ.

In all this it is noted that God's command are immutable and come with repercussions for obeying or disobeying them and how you use that principle can help or harm. Vashi directly defied the king's command and received swift judgment. Esther obeyed and sought petitions from the King and was rewarded. Haman tried to use his words in place of the Kings Words, for his own benefit and for evil and then was destroyed by his own words. Mordecai was obedient to the Kings word but not to Haman's substitute and therefor brought suffering for a time but then was rewarded for his faithfulness to the true word.

Edited by John Young

• Members

My conviction is that with preaching the bible we need to be extremely careful to remain exegetical and I am committed to the literal, grammatical, historical approach to the scriptures. I do believe that every text has timeless truths that span across dispensations even though not every single thing in a text will apply. (Such as certain Mosaic Laws that does not apply to us today), I also recognize that there can be different applications of texts. I do think we have to be careful even in application though., One person said that ā€œmore heresy is preached in application than in Bible exegesisā€.Ā 

Now, Charles Ryrie in his Systematic Theology has an excellent section in Bibliology about Interpretation of the Bible.Ā 

Of course he mentions the different systems such as the Allegorical, Literal and Semi Allegorical. He of course advocates for the Literal Hermaneutic, he gives a few reasons:

1. The Need for Objectivity ā€œIf one does not apply normal interpretation, then objectivity is lost to the extent that he does not use it consistently. Switching the hermeneutic base from literal to allegorical or to semi allegoricalā€¦ inevitably results in different, inconsistent, and often contradictory interpretations.ā€Ā 

2. The example of the Bible. ā€œThe prophecies of the first advent of Christ were all fulfilled literally. This obvious but extremely significant fact argues for the validity and the use of literal hermeneutics in all of biblical interpretation... It is said that over 300 such prophecies concerning the first coming of Christ were literally fulfilledā€¦ā€

Ryrie does go on to acknowledge that ā€œsome prophecies of the Old Testament are given a typical fulfillment in the New, and certain of those prophecies are cited by non literalists as biblical sanction for a nonliteral hermeneuticā€¦ However, of the approximately twenty four prophecies which the New Testament gives typical fulfillment, only seven are cited as examples of nonliteral hermeneutic (and of course not all agree that these seven prove this)ā€¦remember, however, that we are not just comparing seven out of a total of twenty four, but seven out of a total of hundreds, for almost all Old Testament prophecies are clearly fulfilled literally in the New Testament..ā€

Now, I think most relevant discussion however for us is what Ryrie says later in his section on Objections to Normal Hermeneutics:Ā 

ā€œThe most frequent objection by Evangelicals to normal interpretation points out that since the New Testament uses the Old Testament in a non literal sense we also may interpret Old Testament Prophecies (about the millennium for example) in a non literal sense. Or to put it more simply: since the New Testament spiritualizes the Old Testament, so can weā€¦ The rule is that they [New Testament Authors] interpreted the Old Testament plainly, exceptions are rare and typologicalā€

Now, the point Ryrie makes next I think is spot on:

ā€œThe crux of the matter is this: can we as interpreters follow the example of the biblical writers in these rare exceptional uses of the Old Testament that seem to be non literal? Of course the answer is yes, if we want to. But if we do, we do so without apostolic authority, only with personal authority, and comparatively, that is not much authority. Any and all uses of the Old Testament that the New Testament writers made were made under divine inspiration and were therefore done properly and authoritatively. If we depart from the plain sense of the text we do so improperly without such authority. What the biblical writers wrote was infallible; the work of all interpreters is fallible.ā€Ā 

My opinion and practice for myself is that, I want to be as safe as possible when preaching and interpreting the Bible, so I want to always give priority to the literal hermeneutic. I believe it is safe to avoid spiritualizing passages in the Bible.

Edited by Jordan Kurecki

• Members
3 hours ago, Jordan Kurecki said:

The crux of the matter is this: can we as interpreters follow the example of the biblical writers in these rare exceptional uses of the Old Testament that seem to be non literal? Of course the answer is yes, if we want to. But if we do, we do so without apostolic authority, only with personal authority, and comparatively, that is not much authority. Any and all uses of the Old Testament that the New Testament writers made were made under divine inspiration and were therefore done properly and authoritatively. If we depart from the plain sense of the text we do so improperly without such authority. What the biblical writers wrote was infallible; the work of all interpreters is fallible.ā€Ā 

My opinion and practice for myself is that, I want to be as safe as possible when preaching and interpreting the Bible, so I want to always give priority to the literal hermeneutic. I believe it is safe to avoid spiritualizing passages in the Bible.

I would have to disagree with this understanding of biblical allegory and Spiritualizing passages, as if they were disconnected from the reality of the text andĀ only discernible by limited divine sanction or special Apostolic authority (such limited revelation of a passage are claimed by false prophets for their own teaching and not of God or the Apostles). The apostles rested on the authority of the Old Testament Scripture as understoodĀ to prove their doctrine. If the method used by the Apostles was not true from a "proper method" then it would be a private interpretation with no authority whatsoever. (2 Peter 1:20 knowing this first, thatĀ noĀ prophecy of theĀ scriptureĀ is of any private interpretation.)

Certainly there is abuse of any study method and many methods that have no basis in scripture. However, Proper Biblical Allegory (as used by scripture, and not the eisegetical methods falsely so called by the same name) is discernible and work in harmony with theĀ "literal, grammatical, historical" application. Its not something that works disconnected from the story or reality, but rather, like the parables of Christ, are used to show timeless and prophetic Spiritual truths that are ever present in reality with us and alsoĀ with the literal text and are discernible. Paul used the advanced teaching method as well. Knowing that Abraham is the father of faith Paul showed us the spiritual truths God placed within the story of Abraham's life to teach us about faith. So too the writer of Hebrews drew out many great truths by using the same method.Ā The Spiritual truths under-girding our reality were and are always present but not always readily discernible to those not able to properly discern from scripture its truths.

Hebrews 5:11-14Ā Of whom we have many things to say, and hard to be uttered, seeing ye are dull of hearing.Ā 12Ā For when for the time ye ought to be teachers, ye have need that one teach you again whichĀ beĀ the first principles of the oracles of God; and are become such as have need of milk, and not of strong meat.Ā 13Ā For every one that useth milkĀ isĀ unskilful in the word of righteousness: for he is a babe.Ā 14Ā But strong meat belongeth to them that are of full age,Ā evenĀ those who by reason of use have their senses exercised to discern both good and evil.

Scripture is very mathematical in nature and the literal story and events are like addition and subtraction, multiplication and division. Its very easy to grasp what we can plainly see.Ā However, to advance your understanding in math, one needs to learn algebra, geometry, calculus, physics, etc.Ā which require going beyond the visual basics into advanced usage and understanding.

Basic math deals with what is visually present. Advanced math deals with how to use the basics to: find and make sense of missing or partialĀ information (Algebra), How to use numbers/parts to make sense of the whole (Geometry), How to use numbers to calculate where objects in space and time are going to end up (Calculus), How those objects work together (Physics), etc.Ā Ā 

Allegory in a similar way is going beyond the surface reading of an individual text and by using spirituals truths found oust side the particular text, toĀ drawĀ from it the divine principles and purposes that are there but merely not observable without first having a strong grasp of the whole of scripture and its "advanced mathematical principles" of hard spiritual discernments.

Errors in basic math can lead to great errors in advance equations, that does not meanĀ advanced equations should be thrownĀ out or that they should not be studiedĀ but rather our errors should be corrected. SoĀ too, as basic errors of our theology can lead to great errors in use ofĀ Allegory, but that does not mean the Biblical Allegorical method isĀ thrown out but rather the errors in our understanding of the method are to be corrected to get the proper result.

I understand the fear many have in going beyond basics, as they feel safe and comfortable there, but advanced methods should not be feared as in the end they will give the faithful great truths and will guard them against shallow and false eisegetical doctrine, if done properly. Peter himself praised the method Paul used when he said:Ā 

2 Peter 3:15-18...even as our beloved brother Paul also according to the wisdom given unto him hath written unto you;Ā 16Ā as also in allĀ hisĀ epistles, speaking in them of these things; in which are some things hard to be understood, which they that are unlearned and unstable wrest, asĀ they doĀ also the other scriptures, unto their own destruction.Ā 17Ā Ye therefore, beloved, seeing ye knowĀ these thingsĀ before, beware lest ye also, being led away with the error of the wicked, fall from your own stedfastness.Ā 18Ā But grow in grace, andĀ inĀ the knowledge of our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ....Ā 

The method taught properly will not lead to new private secret doctrines that go contrary to plain scripture but rather will teach us about Christ and support and strengthen the clear spiritualĀ doctrinal truths under-girding the story.Ā 

Psalm 40:7 Then said I, Lo, I come: in the volumeĀ ofĀ theĀ bookĀ itĀ isĀ writtenĀ ofĀ me,

Luke 24:44 And he said unto them, TheseĀ areĀ the words which I spake unto you, while I was yet with you, that all things must be fulfilled, which were written in theĀ lawĀ ofĀ Moses, andĀ inĀ theĀ prophets, andĀ inĀ the psalms, concerningĀ me.

Luke 24:25-27Ā Then he said unto them, O fools, and slow of heart to believe all that the prophets have spoken:Ā 26Ā ought not Christ to have suffered these things, and to enter into his glory?Ā 27Ā And beginning at Moses and all the prophets, he expounded unto them in all the scriptures the things concerning himself.

Revelation 19:10...for the testimonyĀ ofĀ Jesus is theĀ spiritĀ ofĀ prophecy.

Edited by John Young

• Members
On 7/22/2020 at 1:36 AM, John Young said:

King's Command/Word: Shows the Immutability God's word. It doesn't change and stands forever.

King's Ring: Represents the power of the kings word given to another to operate in the king's place.

Queen Vashti: Represents Unbelieving Israel which refused to obey the King's command and to whom all the worlds wives (The nations of the world) looked to and were to emulate.

Queen Esther: Represents Believing Israel chosen from the virgins to replace unbelieving Israel.

Mordecai: Represents Christ who adopted Ester, raised her up, in his own house, and to whom she obeyed in all things, even after being made queen. He also initiated the persecution of the Jews by not submitting to Haman's authority.

Haman: Represents the anti-Christ who rises to power in the end times and is given authority over the whole world by God but attempts to persecute Christ and those who keep his commandments because Christ refuses to submit/bow to his Authority.

Does the heart of the Lord God ever become "merry with wine?" (See Esther 1:10)
Does the Lord God proclaim His commandment unto His people while He is "merry with wine?" (See Esther 1:10-11)
Does the Lord God cast aside Israel, such that their "royal estate" is permanently given unto another? (See Esther 1:19)
Does Jesus Christ ever instruct faithful Israel to hide their character from the Lord God? (See Esther 2:15-20)
Does the Lord God promote, advance, and set the antichrist above all other authorities? (See Esther 3:1)
Does the Lord God give commandment that all others should bow down and reverence the antichrist? (See Esther 3:2)
Does Jesus Christ ever disobey any of the Lord God's commandments? (See Esther 3:2-4)
Does the Lord God ever give the antichrist His ring of authority to operate in the Lord God's place? (See Esther 3:10)
Does the Lord God ever grant the antichrist His own authority to persecute the Israelites? (See Esther 3:9-15)
Does the Lord God ever sit down in unity with the antichrist? (See Esther 3:15)
Does Israel ever invite and have attend both the Lord God and the antichrist to a joint banquet? (See Esther 5:4-8)
Does the Lord God ever take counsel from the antichrist on how to honor Jesus Christ? (See Esther 6:1-10)
Does the Lord God ever instruct and employ the antichrist to administer Jesus Christ's honor? (See Esther 6:10-11)
Does the Lord God exalt Jesus Christ to highest authority AFTER removing the antichrist from that position, which He the Lord God had first given to the antichrist? (See Esther 9:7-15)

With all due respect Brother Young,

As for myself, the claimĀ that King Ahasuerus represents the Lord my God, the Lord God of heaven and earth, is quite offensive to me, even unto the concern that it is outright blasphemy.
Ā 

• Members

II Chronicles- Israel Destroyed

Ezra- Israel Returns to Land

Nehemiah- Israel Rebuilds Temple (despite resistance from Geshem the Arabian)

Esther- The King Replaces a Gentile Bride with a Jewish Bride

Job- Israel Suffers 42 months (42 Chapters in Job with his "captivity turned" and his children resurrected in chapter 42).

This, of course, is all typology (shadow of things to come). There's the historical aspects of those books also.

Ā 

Ā 

• Members
1 hour ago, SureWord said:

Esther- The King Replaces a Gentile Bride with a Jewish Bride

I have heard the "Gentile bride" theory before, as referring to the "rebellious church" being taken away in the rapture but I don't think it fits, as the churchĀ is not just gentile but both gentile and Jewish and Christ and the church is marked by faith. I think the focus on being a "faithless bride"Ā being Unbelieving Israel who is later replaced by a "faithful bride", the believing IsraelĀ of Revelation 12, makes more sense.

Ā 

1 hour ago, SureWord said:

This, of course, is all typology (shadow of things to come). There's the historical aspects of those books also.

I agree.

Edited by John Young

• Members

I agree the church is both Jew and Gentile (yet in Christ there's neither) but we are in the times of the Gentiles and the church is mostly made up of such.Ā 

I don't believe types always have to fit perfectly. The sheep is called a "she" in Isaiah 53:7 though referring to Jesus Christ.

Your suggestion that it has to do with the "faithless bride" of Israel is an interesting thought and it could be that also.

Edited by SureWord

• Members
16 hours ago, Pastor Scott Markle said:

Does the heart of the Lord God ever become "merry with wine?" (See Esther 1:10) ObviouslyĀ God, as a SpiritĀ does not drink wine and cannot make his heart merry with it but he allowed mankind to be made merry with it and even for Israel to be merry with it (Ecc 9:7, 1 Kings 4:20). Christ (God in the flesh) drank wine and gave it to others, At a marriage (John 2:10), At the lastĀ supper (Mark 14:23), at people's homes and in general (Matthew 11:19), so wine is not all that offensive.Ā Joseph, a type of Christ, gave his brother's wine and they made their hearts merry (Gen 34:34). Boaz, a type of Christ, drank and made his heart merry (Ruth 3:7). So its clear types can still make theirĀ heart merry with wine and still be a type. It is not a far stretchĀ to use the sovereigntyĀ of a king and his unchangeableĀ royal decreesĀ to be a type of God's sovereignty and unchangeableĀ word, even if that king drank wine and was happy because of it. Garnted there is strong reasons not to be duncken or event to have any wine because of the harm which can come from such a state but the practice of being merry from wine is not so abominableĀ to God that he can't use peopleĀ as types to showĀ his divineĀ nature and will.

Does the Lord God proclaim His commandment unto His people while He is "merry with wine?" (See Esther 1:10-11)Ā Christ did make proclamationsĀ at feasts and gave his followersĀ drink (John 7:37Ā In the last day, that greatĀ dayĀ of the feast, Jesus stood and cried, saying, If any man thirst, let him come unto me, and drink.)Ā 

Does the Lord God cast aside Israel, such that their "royal estate" is permanently given unto another? (See Esther 1:19)Ā Yes. Unbelieving Israel died in the wilderness and their believing children took their place. (Deut 1:39-40, Heb 13:18), UnbelievingĀ SpiritualĀ generation of Israel is sent to hell while Believing generation of IsraelĀ receivedĀ the inheritance in the revelation week.Ā 

Does Jesus Christ ever instruct faithful Israel to hide their character from the Lord God? (See Esther 2:15-20)Ā Obviously the advice was given to Esther, not specifically for the king but as a general advice fro her safety.Ā The concept of hiding ones ordained purpose until the proper time to be reveled is not unknownĀ in scripture and it is not wrong to do so when instructed by God/Christ. Even Christ instructed his followers not to reveal that he was theĀ Christ until the proper time. (Matthew 16:20) God even instructed his prophets at time to conceal their identity or reveal their true purpose (1 Kings 20:38, 1 Samuel 16:2). In revelation believing Israel, though sealed in chap 7 will have to flee and hid themselves in the wilderness until chap 14.

Does the Lord God promote, advance, and set the antichrist above all other authorities? (See Esther 3:1)Ā Yes he allows the devil to do it (see Job!).Ā Revelation 13:7 And it wasĀ givenĀ unto him to make war with the saints, and to overcome them: andĀ powerĀ wasĀ givenĀ him over all kindreds, and tongues, and nations.

Does the Lord God give commandment that all others should bow down and reverence the antichrist? (See Esther 3:2)Ā You misunderstand the commandment. Jews were not to bow to any man and they were already given special dispensations and protections, byĀ the unchanging law, from such decrees that had to be respected (Daniel 3:29, 6:26-28, etc) which is why Haman did not simply have him executed on the spot. In revelation only unbelievers will believe the lie to reverence the anti-Christ but Christ and his followers will not because they hold to the higherĀ commands(2 Thess 2:8-12).

Does Jesus Christ ever disobey any of the Lord God's commandments? (See Esther 3:2-4) This is an obvious NO and neither did Mordecai in not bowing as he did. He transgressed the command to bow because the law from the king also said he as a Jew did not have to bow. While the Anti-ChristĀ will have power over all that are not saved, he will not have power over Christ and will make war with the Saints who follow ChristĀ becauseĀ they will not bow.

Does the Lord God ever give the antichrist His ring of authority to operate in the Lord God's place? (See Esther 3:10) Yes. He is given power from God, throughĀ the devil, to do what he does.

Does the Lord God ever grant the antichrist His own authority to persecute the Israelites? (See Esther 3:9-15) The only way an Israelite Saint can be persecuted is if the power is given to the oppressor from God. John 19:11 Jesus answered, Thou couldest have noĀ powerĀ at allĀ against me, except it were given thee fromĀ above: therefore he that delivered me unto thee hath the greater sin.

Does the Lord God ever sit down in unity with the antichrist? (See Esther 3:15) Again see Job! Just because the devil is in opposition to the will of God, it does not meanĀ God doesn't or cannot work with and use the devil and his "vessels of wrath"Ā to fulfill his divineĀ purpose (Romans 9:21-24).

Does Israel ever invite and have attend both the Lord God and the antichrist to a joint banquet? (See Esther 5:4-8) Yes. There's even a winepress (Revelation 14:10;19)

Does the Lord God ever take counsel from the antichrist on how to honor Jesus Christ? (See Esther 6:1-10) Not directly. In the type what Haman desired to be treated as the King, Mordecai got. The point is to show how the Anti-Christ wanted to be honored as God butĀ that honor was not given to him by God but rather to Christ who deserved it.

Does the Lord God ever instruct and employ the antichrist to administer Jesus Christ's honor? (See Esther 6:10-11) God divinely created and is directing all things to honor Christ, including the Anti-Christ. (1 Corinthians 1:16 for by him wereĀ allĀ thingsĀ created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible, whetherĀ they beĀ thrones, or dominions, or principalities, or powers:Ā allĀ thingsĀ wereĀ createdĀ by him, and for him:)

Does the Lord God exalt Jesus Christ to highest authority AFTER removing the antichrist from that position, which He the Lord God had first given to the antichrist? (See Esther 9:7-15) In taking over authority of the physical kingdom on earth, Yes. (2 Thessalonians 2:8)

In my opening post I presented what I believe they represent and for what reasons. The bible deals with spiritual things and applies them to physical types/figures/pictures so that mankind can understand. ThoseĀ physical types are never a perfect representation of theĀ spiritual and are not meant to be. However, in your questions youĀ flip the application andĀ you areĀ applying the physical limits onto the spiritual and then disregarding both because the physical does not measure up to your expectations. That is not how allegory works and is an errant application in my opinion.Ā 

16 hours ago, Pastor Scott Markle said:

With all due respect Brother Young,

As for myself, the claimĀ that King Ahasuerus represents the Lord my God, the Lord God of heaven and earth, is quite offensive to me, even unto the concern that it is outright blasphemy.

I respect you and I am open to a productive conversation as a brother and welcome your biblical insight and help in learning about the Spiritual pictures in the book of EstherĀ but I have no interest in a confrontationalĀ interaction with you. I enjoy learning about these things anĀ have no interest inĀ forcing you to interact with this study with anything other than an edifying spirit.

So, if you are offended by Allegory for some reason,Ā or the study of flawed figures representing, in a small part, our LORD's divine nature, or simply by something in my own personality, then you should not take part in theĀ study.

Edited by John Young

• Members
9 hours ago, John Young said:

The bible deals with spiritual things and applies them to physical types/figures/pictures so that mankind can understand.

The Bible does sometimes do thatĀ by the writers who wrote by inspiration. No biblical writer though everĀ says thatĀ Esther is any kind of allegory.Ā 

I donā€™tĀ understand this hermeneuticĀ that tries to see spiritual connections and figures in every historical accountĀ of the Bible.Ā 

How is what you are doing any different then me saying Noah having 3 sons represents the trinity? Just because you happen to see some similarities doesnā€™tĀ mean God intended for all the historical accounts to be allegorized.Ā 

Esther is a story about God providentially working to preserve his people thusĀ fulfilling his promises and covenant with them. That is the point of Esther, I see no basis in scripture to somehow think that God intended for any portion of that story to be allegorized.Ā 
Ā 

I also dont understand the often made conflation of ā€œspiritualā€ with ā€œallegoricalā€ as if something being allegorical is somehow equivalent to spiritual.Ā 

Edited by Jordan Kurecki

• Members
On 7/24/2020 at 2:54 AM, John Young said:

In my opening post I presented what I believe they represent and for what reasons. The bible deals with spiritual things and applies them to physical types/figures/pictures so that mankind can understand. ThoseĀ physical types are never a perfect representation of theĀ spiritual and are not meant to be. However, in your questions youĀ flip the application andĀ you areĀ applying the physical limits onto the spiritual and then disregarding both because the physical does not measure up to your expectations. That is not how allegory works and is an errant application in my opinion.Ā 

Brother Young,

In your second posting of this thread discussion, you presented the following definition and counselfĀ for "allegorical study" --
Ā 

On 7/23/2020 at 4:15 AM, John Young said:

Allegory in a similar way is going beyond the surface reading of an individual text and by using spirituals truths found oust side the particular text, toĀ drawĀ from it the divine principles and purposes that are there but merely not observable without first having a strong grasp of the whole of scripture and its "advanced mathematical principles" of hard spiritual discernments.

Errors in basic math can lead to great errors in advance equations, that does not meanĀ advanced equations should be thrownĀ out or that they should not be studiedĀ but rather our errors should be corrected. SoĀ too, as basic errors of our theology can lead to great errors in use ofĀ Allegory, but that does not mean the Biblical Allegorical method isĀ thrown out but rather the errors in our understanding of the method are to be corrected to get the proper result.

So then, for an "allegorical study" to be valid according to your above definition (your first above quoted paragraph), it MUST stand in union with "truths found outside the particular text" in relation to "the whole of Scripture and its 'advanced mathematical principles' of hard spiritual discernments."Ā  Since this "allegorical method" of Bible study formulates an "allegorical narrative" that is not directly specified by the inspiration of God the Holy (in contrast to some Holy Spirit revealed allegories), the only means by which we can discern the validity of a given "allegorical study" is to compare it with details of truth that are "found outside the particular text" and that ARE specifically inspired by God the Holy Spirit.Ā  Now, although I myself do not believe that the Book of Esther should be studied allegorically at all, my primary contention in this discussion is that your above allegorical understanding is faulty in relation to "truths found outside the particular text."Ā  Even so, in your above counsel (your second above quoted paragraph), you indicate that "the errors in our understanding of the method are to be corrected to get the proper result."Ā Ā 

Let us then take up one case wherein I believe that your understanding of the method in relation to the Book of Esther is at fault.Ā  Let us take up your allegorical interpretation concerning King Ahasuerus and concerning the King's Ring, as follows:
Ā 

On 7/22/2020 at 1:36 AM, John Young said:

At this point let us accept that the King's Ring (that would be King Ahasuerus' Ring) does represent the power of King Ahasuerus' word given to another to operate in the king's place.Ā  So then, if King Ahasuerus himself "represents God in His sovereignty over all the land," then King Ahasuerus' Ring would represent God's own Word given to another to operate in God's own place.Ā  So then, doctrinally we may ask whether God the Father, the Lord God of heaven and earth, has ever given the authority of His own Word unto another in order that that other one might operate in the Lord God's OWN place?Ā  The doctrinal answer ofĀ the New Testament is -- Yes, God the Father, the Lord God of heaven and earth, has indeed given the authority of His own Word unto God the Son, the Lord Jesus Christ, in order that the Lord Jesus Christ might operate in God the Father's OWN place.Ā  According to the doctrine of the New Testament, this was done when God the Father exalted God the Son, the Lord Jesus Christ, to sit at God the Father's own right hand (as per such passages as Ephesians 1:19-23, Philippians 2:9-11, Hebrews 1:1-4, etc.).Ā  Furthermore, according to the doctrine of the New Testament, this "ring of divine authority" has never and will never be taken from God the Son in order to be given unto another.Ā  This is the "truth found outside the particular text."

However, within the Book of Esther King Ahasuerus gives his ring of authority unto two different individuals at two different times throughout the historical account.Ā  If your "allegorical viewpoint" that King Ahasuerus represents the Lord God Himself in His sovereign rule, then we must find "truths outside the particular text" of the Book of Esther wherein the Lord God Himself has or will give His OWN divine authority unto TWO different individuals at TWO different times in order for those two individuals respectively to operate IN GOD'S OWN PLACE.Ā  Yet in the doctrine of the New Testament, I do NOT find any such thing to be the case.Ā  I find ONLY that the Lord God Himself has given His OWN divine authority unto ONE individual, that being the Lord Jesus Christ, at the Lord Jesus Christ's exaltation unto "the right hand of the Majesty on high."Ā  Thus already your "allegorical viewpoint" appears to be invalid.

So then, within the Book of Esther who are the two different individuals unto whom King Ahasuerus grants his ring of authority?Ā  First, in Esther 3:7-15 that ring of authority is granted unto Haman, whom your "allegorical viewpoint" defines as representing "the anti-Christ who rises to power in the end times and is given authority over the whole world by God but attempts to persecute Christ and those who keep his commandments because Christ refuses to submit/bow to his Authority."Ā  Second, in Esther 8:7-17 that ring of authority is granted unto Mordecai, whom your "allegorical viewpoint" defines as representing "Christ who adopted Esther, raised her up, in his own house, and to whom she obeyed in all things, even after being made queen. He also initiated the persecution of the Jews by not submitting to Haman's authority."Ā  Yet this viewpoint contains a number of errors that are not in union with "truth found outside the particular text" of the Book of Esther.Ā Ā 

In the first place, God the Father gave His OWN ring of absolute divine authority unto the Lord Jesus Christ, when He exalted the Lord Jesus Christ unto His own right hand.Ā  Even so, according to New Testament doctrine this occurred (by this point in time) thousands of years BEFORE the antichrist's very existence on the earth.

In the second place, NO passage of Scripture indicates that God the Father Himself, the Lord God of heaven and earth, will give unto the antichrist HIS (GOD'S) OWN DIVINE authority to operate in GOD'S VERY OWN PLACE.Ā  (Indeed, from my perspective such an idea is outright blasphemy.)Ā  (Note: For such to occur God the Father would have to take this "ring" (name above every name)Ā of divine authority away from the Lord Jesus Christ, and give it unto the antichrist when he comes on the scene of history.)Ā  In fact, in Revelation 13:2 God's own Word, as inspired and precisely revealed by God the Holy Spirit Himself, specifically indicates who gives the antichrist (Haman in your "allegorical viewpoint") his power, saying, "And the beast which I saw was like unto a leopard, and his feet were as the feet of a bear, and his mouth as the mouth of lion: AND THE DRAGON [who is the devil according to Revelation 12:9]Ā GAVE HIM HIS POWER, AND HIS SEAT, AND GREAT AUTHORITY."

In the third place, according to New Testament doctrine when the antichrist comes to power, the Lord Jesus Christ will still be seatedĀ in heaven at the right hand of God, with a name above every name, that at His name every knee should bow according to God the Father's commandment.Ā  Even so, the Lord Jesus Christ Himself will not ever be in any position to have to refuse to submit/bow unto the antichrist's authority, because the Lord Jesus Christ will never at any time be under the antichrist's authority.

Now, I can agree that when a Biblical allegory is presented, all of the details concerning the "allegorical players" may not have a valid representation in relation to truth.Ā  However, when a Biblical allegory is presented, God the Holy Spirit only specifies those parts of the allegory that are representative.Ā  On the other hand, your opening post provides an indication that the entire Book of Esther (all 10 chapters thereof) stands as one cohesive allegory.Ā  (Note: Even the Holy Spirit Himself never indicates through inspiration that a Biblical allegory covers an entire book of the Bible.)Ā  If this is so as you claim, then all of its parts must actually represent "truth found outside the particular text" of the Book of Esther.Ā  I am contending that your "allegorical viewpoint" for the Book of Esther does NOT actually represent "truth found outside the particular text," but actually contradicts that truth.

On 7/24/2020 at 2:54 AM, John Young said:

I respect you and I am open to a productive conversation as a brother and welcome your biblical insight and help in learning about the Spiritual pictures in the book of EstherĀ but I have no interest in a confrontationalĀ interaction with you. I enjoy learning about these things anĀ have no interest inĀ forcing you to interact with this study with anything other than an edifying spirit.

So, if you are offended by Allegory for some reason,Ā or the study of flawed figures representing, in a small part, our LORD's divine nature, or simply by something in my own personality, then you should not take part in theĀ study.

Now, it is true that I am offended by man-made/human-conjecture allegory as a method of Bible study; for I believe that it does not "rightly divide God's Word of truth."Ā  I believe that it attempts to create revelation by "reading between the lines" rather than simply understand the revelation of truth that God the Holy Spirit has personally inspired.Ā  However, as I expressed above, I am offended in a far greater manner that you have made King Ahasuerus and his authority as equivalent to the Lord God Himself and to His divine authority.Ā  From my perspective the behavior of King Ahasuerus in the historical account does NOT at all match the Biblical realities and revelations concerning God the Father's character or behavior in the "end times."Ā  (Note: My offense had nothing whatsoever to do with your own personality, but only with the doctrine that you are presenting in this thread discussion.)Ā  On the other hand, you have requested that I "should not take part in the study."Ā  Thus having now expressed my contention, I shall refrain from engaging further unless I am compelled to do so.

Edited by Pastor Scott Markle
grammar

• Members

Paul taught allegory from the OT. As long as it doesn't go against sound doctrine but rather supports it I don't see a problem with it. The whole book of Hebrews reveals how things in the OT are shadow of things to come. Paul clearly taught Mt. Sinai as an allegory. Of course, this doesn't mean books like Esther weren't literal books historically relevant to their time with lessons for us today. But there's no doubt a pattern in those books representative of times to come.

• Members
4 hours ago, Pastor Scott Markle said:

Brother Young,

In your second posting of this thread discussion, you presented the following definition and counselfĀ for "allegorical study" --
Ā 

So then, for an "allegorical study" to be valid according to your above definition (your first above quoted paragraph), it MUST stand in union with "truths found outside the particular text" in relation to "the whole of Scripture and its 'advanced mathematical principles' of hard spiritual discernments."Ā  Since this "allegorical method" of Bible study formulates an "allegorical narrative" that is not directly specified by the inspiration of God the Holy (in contrast to some Holy Spirit revealed allegories), the only means by which we can discern the validity of a given "allegorical study" is to compare it with details of truth that are "found outside the particular text" and that ARE specifically inspired by God the Holy Spirit.Ā  Now, although I myself do not believe that the Book of Esther should be studied allegorically at all, my primary contention in this discussion is that your above allegorical understanding is faulty in relation to "truths found outside the particular text."Ā  Even so, in your above counsel (your second above quoted paragraph), you indicate that "the errors in our understanding of the method are to be corrected to get the proper result."Ā Ā 

Let us then take up one case wherein I believe that your understanding of the method in relation to the Book of Esther is at fault.Ā  Let us take up your allegorical interpretation concerning King Ahasuerus and concerning the King's Ring, as follows:
Ā 

At this point let us accept that the King's Ring (that would be King Ahasuerus' Ring) does represent the power of King Ahasuerus' word given to another to operate in the king's place.Ā  So then, if King Ahasuerus himself "represents god in His sovereignty over all the land," then the King Ahasuerus' Ring would represent God's own Word given to another to operate in God's own place.Ā  So then, doctrinally we may ask whether God the Father, the Lord God of heaven and earth, has ever given the authority of His own Word unto another in order that that other one might operate in the Lord God's OWN place?Ā  The doctrinal answer on the New Testament is -- Yes, God the Father, the Lord God of heaven and earth, has indeed given the authority of His own Word unto God the Son, the Lord Jesus Christ, in order that the Lord Jesus Christ might operate in God the Father's OWN place.Ā  According to the doctrine of the New Testament, this was done when God the Father exalted God the Son, the Lord Jesus Christ, to sit at God the Father's own right hand (as per such passages as Ephesians 1:19-23, Philippians 2:9-11, Hebrews 1:1-4, etc.).Ā  Furthermore, according to the doctrine of the New Testament, this "ring of divine authority" has never and will never be taken from God the Son in order to be given unto another.Ā  This is the "truth found outside the particular text."

However, within the Book of Esther King Ahasuerus gives his ring of authority unto two different individuals at two different times throughout the historical account.Ā  If your "allegorical viewpoint" that King Ahasuerus represents the Lord God Himself in His sovereign rule, then we must find "truths outside the particular text" of the Book of Esther wherein the Lord God Himself has or will give His OWN divine authority unto TWO different individuals at TWO different times in order for those two individuals respectively to operate IN GOD'S OWN PLACE.Ā  Yet in the doctrine of the New Testament, I do NOT find any such thing to be the case.Ā  I find ONLY that the Lord God Himself has given His OWN divine authority unto ONE individual, that being the Lord Jesus Christ, at the Lord Jesus Christ's exaltation unto "the right of the Majesty on high."Ā  Thus already your "allegorical viewpoint" appears to be invalid.

So then, within the Book of Esther who are the two different individuals unto whom King Ahasuerus grants his ring of authority?Ā  First, in Esther 3:7-15 that ring of authority is granted unto Haman, whom your "allegorical viewpoint" defines as representing "the anti-Christ who rises to power in the end times and is given authority over the whole world by God but attempts to persecute Christ and those who keep his commandments because Christ refuses to submit/bow to his Authority."Ā  Second, in Esther 8:7-17 that ring of authority is granted unto Mordecai, whom your "allegorical viewpoint" defines as representing "Christ who adopted Ester, raised her up, in his own house, and to whom she obeyed in all things, even after being made queen. He also initiated the persecution of the Jews by not submitting to Haman's authority."Ā  Yet this viewpoint contains a number of errors that are not in union with "truth found outside the particular text" of the Book of Esther.Ā Ā 

In the first place, God the Father gave His OWN ring of absolute divine authority unto the Lord Jesus Christ, when He exalted the Lord Jesus Christ unto His own right hand.Ā  Even so, according to New Testament doctrine this occurred (by this point in time) thousands of years BEFORE the antichrist's very existence on the earth.

In the second place, NO passage of Scripture indicates that God the Father Himself, the Lord God of heaven and earth, will give unto the antichrist HIS (GOD'S) OWN DIVINE authority to operate in GOD'S VERY OWN PLACE.Ā  (Indeed, from my perspective such an idea is outright blasphemy.)Ā  (Note: For such to occur God the Father would have to take this "ring" (name above every name)Ā of divine authority away from the Lord Jesus Christ, and give it unto the antichrist when he comes on the scene of history.)Ā  In fact, Revelation 13:2 God's own Word, as inspired and precisely revealed by God the Holy Spirit Himself, specifically indicates who gives the antichrist (Haman in your "allegorical viewpoint") his power, saying, "And the beast which I saw was like unto a leopard, and his feet were as the feet of a bear, and his mouth as the mouth of lion: AND THE DRAGON (who is the devil according to Revelation 12:9) GAVE HIM HIS POWER, AND HIS SEAT, AND GREAT AUTHORITY."

In the third place, according to New Testament doctrine when the antichrist comes to power, the Lord Jesus Christ will still be seatedĀ in heaven at the right hand of God, with a name above every name, that at His name every knee should bow according to God the Father's commandment.Ā  Even so, the Lord Jesus Christ Himself will not ever be in any position to have to refuse to submit/bow unto the antichrist's authority, because the Lord Jesus Christ will never at any time be under the antichrist's authority.

Now, I can agree that when a Biblical allegory is presented, all of the details concerning the "allegorical players" may not have a valid representation in relation to truth.Ā  However, when a Biblical allegory is presented, God the Holy Spirit only specifies those parts of the allegory that are representative.Ā  On the other hand, your opening post provides an indication that the entire Book of Esther (all 10 chapters thereof) stands as one cohesive allegory.Ā  (Note: Even the Holy Spirit Himself never indicates through inspiration that a Biblical allegory covers an entire book of the Bible.)Ā  If this is so as you claim, then all of its parts must actually represent "truth found outside the particular text" of the Book of Esther.Ā  I am contending that your "allegorical viewpoint" for the Book of Esther does NOT actually represent "truth found outside the particular text," but actually contradicts that truth.

Now, it is true that I am offended by man-made/human-conjecture allegory as a method of Bible study; for I believe that it does not "rightly divide God's Word of truth."Ā  I believe that it attempts to create revelation by "reading between the lines" rather than simply understand the revelation of truth that God the Holy Spirit has personally inspired.Ā  However, as I expressed above, I am offended in a far greater manner that you have made King Ahasuerus and his authority as equivalent to the Lord God Himself and to His divine authority.Ā  From my perspective the behavior of King Ahasuerus in the historical account does NOT at all match the Biblical realities and revelations concerning God the Father's character or behavior in the "end times."Ā  (Note: My offense had nothing whatsoever to do with your own personality, but only with the doctrine that you are presenting in this thread discussion.)Ā  On the other hand, you have requested that I "should not take part in the study."Ā  Thus having now expressed my contention, I shall refrain for engaging further unless I am compelled to do so.

Cyrus was a heathen King yet called God's anointed.

And you be assured that God will give to the Antichrist the divine authority to do what he does. It may not be authority to occupy God's throne in heaven but he'll get God's authority to rule here on Earth.

Ezekiel 28:14

Isaiah 45:1

Ā 

Edited by SureWord

• Members
17 hours ago, SureWord said:

Paul taught allegory from the OT. As long as it doesn't go against sound doctrine but rather supports it I don't see a problem with it. The whole book of Hebrews reveals how things in the OT are shadow of things to come. Paul clearly taught Mt. Sinai as an allegory. Of course, this doesn't mean books like Esther weren't literal books historically relevant to their time with lessons for us today. But there's no doubt a pattern in those books representative of times to come.

And so, I am compelled (by one who specifically engaged me) . . .

Indeed, Paul DID teach allegory from the Old Testament ScripturesĀ - UNDER THE INSPIRATION AND AUTHORITY OF THE HOLY SPIRIT.Ā  Indeed, the Book of Hebrews DOES reveal that some things in the Old Testament Scriptures are a shadow of things to come - UNDER THE INSPIRATION AND AUTHORITY OF THE HOLY SPIRIT.Ā  So then, when YOU teach an allegory out of the Old Testament Scriptures, which is not somewhere specified as such within the Holy Scriptures, are you also doing so UNDER THE INSPIRATION AND AUTHORITY OF THE HOLY SPIRIT?Ā  If you are not so inspired by the Holy Spirit, then under whose inspiration and authority are you doing so?

Is there a problem with it?Ā  Yes indeed, there is for the following reasons --

1.Ā  When you indicate something as an allegory that is not so designated by Holy Spirit inspiration, then you exalt your own authority to the level of the divine and exalt yourself as a standard of truth.

2.Ā  When you exalt yourself in this manner, you teach the ideas of man as the doctrines of God, which is clearly revealed in God's Word, not as an acceptably good thing, but as a spiritually bad thing.

3.Ā  When you engage in such a practice, you influence your followers by your example to handle the Scriptures in a false manner; and you do so unto the spiritual destruction of yourself and your followers.

(Note: This warning is indeed edificational; for Biblical warning against false teaching is indeed "good to the use of edifying.")

But there's no doubt a pattern in those books representative of times to come.

I declare unto to you that for some of us there most certainly is a great deal of "doubt" about this.Ā  As for myself, there is so much "doubt" about it that I express outright DENIAL of it.

Allow me to ask specifically about this matter of "the allegory of Esther" -- Can you provide a single verse or statement of inspired Scripture, wherein Holy Spirit inspiration teaches or indicates that the Book of Esther specifically is an allegory for anything?

If you can, then I would be compelled to engage in some level of reconsidering.Ā  On the other hand, if you cannot, then I would further ask -- By what authority am I required to accept any teaching whatsoever concerning this so-called allegory?Ā  Or, by what authority can you accuse me of sinful behavior when I contend against the teaching of this so-called allegory?

Cyrus was a heathen King yet called God's anointed.

Isaiah 45:1

Indeed, this is true and is DIRECTLY revealed by THE INSPIRATION OF GOD THE HOLY SPIRIT.Ā  However, by that same teaching of Holy Spirit inspired Scripture, we learn that this divine anointing was for one specific purpose, NOT as an authorization for all of Cyrus' behavior and activities.Ā  Furthermore, we learn that it was for one specific RIGHTEOUS purpose, NOT as an authorization for any sinfully wicked behavior whatsoever at all.

And you be assured that God will give to the Antichrist the divine authority to do what he does. It may not be authority to occupy God's throne in heaven but he'll get God's authority to rule here on Earth.

Ezekiel 28:14

No, I cannot be assured of any such thing.Ā  Rather, I will firmly contend that the above statement is Biblically and blasphemously false teaching concerning the all-holy, all-righteous character of the Lord our God.Ā  It is a subtle way of teaching that what the Lord our GodĀ ALLOWS is equivalent to what the Lord our God AUTHORIZES by His own divine authority, and thereby makes the Lord our God out to be the author of sinful wickedness.Ā  When the antichrist will oppose and exalt himself "above all that is called God, or that is worshipped," when he will set himself in the very temple of God, claiming himself to be very God, and compelling all of the world to worship him as God, he most certainly will NOT beĀ authorized to do so by the divine authority of God.Ā  Such behavior is sinful wickedness and unrighteous blasphemy; and the Lord our God, the one true God of the Bible, the all-holy, all-righteous Lord God of heaven and earth, does NOT ever authorize sinful wickedness and unrighteousness by His divine authority. GOD FORBID!!!Ā  The antichrist by character is ANTI-God and ANTI-Christ; he is NOT authorized by God against Christ (which is what the so-called allegory of Esther is presented as teaching).Ā  In fact, God's OWN Word declares unto us that the antichrist, "the son of perdition," comes "after the working of Satan with all power and signs and lying wonders," NOT after the authorization of God.Ā 

(Note: It is interesting that instead of taking a direct statement of God's Word on the matter, you allegorize yet another passage of Scripture in order to support your original assertion;Ā and so the practice of allegorization just continues to grow and grow in its falsehood.Ā Ā For Ezekiel 28:14 is NOT about the antichrist and never even has an application to the antichrist, since the antichrist never will be an "anointed cherub" and never will be perfect in his ways from his creation.)

Ā 

Now then, having responded to that which compelled, I declare yet again -- I shall refrain from engaging further unless I am compelled to do so.

Edited by Pastor Scott Markle

• Members
STRONGS NT 238:Ā į¼€Ī»Ī»Ī·Ī³ĪæĻį½³Ļ‰

į¼€Ī»Ī»Ī·Ī³ĪæĻį½³Ļ‰,Ā -įæ¶: (present passive participleĀ į¼€Ī»Ī»Ī·Ī³ĪæĻĪæį½ŗĪ¼ĪµĪ½ĪæĻ‚);Ā i.e.,Ā į¼„Ī»Ī»ĪæĀ Ī¼į½²Ī½Ā į¼€Ī³ĪæĻĪµį½»Ļ‰,Ā į¼„Ī»Ī»ĪæĀ Ī“į½²Ā Ī½Īæį½³Ļ‰, "aliud verbis, aliud sensu ostendo" (Quintilian instt. 8, 6, 44),Ā to speak allegoricallyĀ orĀ in a figure:Ā Galatians 4:24Ā (Philo, Josephus, Plutarch, and grammatical writers; [cf. Meyer on Galatians, the passage cited].) ~Ā https://www.blueletterbible.org/lang/Lexicon/Lexicon.cfm?strongs=G238&t=KJV

Ā 

AL'LEGORY,Ā nounĀ [Gr. other, to speak, a forum, an oration.]

A figurative sentence or discourse, in which the principal subject is described by another subject resembling it in its properties and circumstances. The principal subject is thus kept out of view, and we are left to collect the intentions of the writer or speaker, by the resemblance of the secondary to the primary subject.Ā allegoryĀ is in words that hieroglyphics are in painting. We have a fine example of anĀ allegoryĀ in the eightieth Psalm, in which God's chosen people are represented by a vineyard. The distinction in scripture between a parable and anĀ allegoryĀ is said to be that a parableĀ is a supposed history, and anĀ allegoryĀ a figurative description of real facts. AnĀ allegoryĀ is called a continued metaphor. The following line in Virgil is an example of anĀ allegory

Claudite jam rivos, pueri, sat prata biberunt.

Stop the currents, young men, the meadows have drank sufficiently; that is let your music cease, our ears have been sufficiently delighted. ~Ā http://webstersdictionary1828.com/Dictionary/Allegory

ALLEGOR'ICAL,Ā adjectiveĀ In the manner of allegory; figurative; describing by resemblances. ~Ā http://webstersdictionary1828.com/Dictionary/Allegoric

FIG'URE,Ā nounĀ fig'ur. [Latin figura, from figo, to fix or set.Ā See Feign.]

1.Ā The form of any thing as expressed by the outline or terminating extremities. Flowers have exquisite figures. A triangle is aĀ figureĀ of three sides. A square is aĀ figureĀ of four equal sides and equal angles.

2.Ā Shape; form; person; as a lady of elegantĀ figure

A goodĀ figureĀ or person, in man or woman, gives credit at first sight to the choice of either.

3.Ā Distinguished appearance; eminence; distinction; remarkable character. Ames made aĀ figureĀ in Congress; Hamilton, in the cabinet.

4.Ā Appearance of any kind; as an ill figure; a meanĀ figure

5.Ā Magnificence; splendor; as, to live inĀ figureĀ and indulgence.

6.Ā A statue; an image; that which is formed in resemblance of something else; as theĀ figureĀ of a man in plaster.

7.Ā Representation in painting; the lines and colors which represent an animal, particularly a person; as the principal figures of a picture; a subordinateĀ figure

8.Ā In manufactures, a design or representation wrought on damask, velvet and other stuffs.

9.Ā In logic, the order or disposition of the middle term in a syllogism with the parts of the question.

10.Ā In arithmetic, a character denoting a number; as 2. 7. 9.

11.Ā In astrology, the horoscope; the diagram of the aspects of the astrological houses.

12.Ā In theology, type; representative.

Who was theĀ figureĀ of him that was to come.Ā Romans 5:14.

13.Ā In rhetoric, a mode of speaking or writing in which words are deflected from their ordinary signification, or a mode more beautiful and emphatical than the ordinary way of expressing the sense; the language of the imagination and passions; as, knowledge is the light of the mind; the soul mounts on the wings of faith; youth is the morning of life. In strictness, the change of a word is a trope, and any affection of a sentence a figure; but these terms are often confounded.

14.Ā In grammar, any deviation from the rules of analogy or syntax.

15.Ā In dancing, the several steps which the dancer makes in order and cadence, considered as they form certain figures on the floor.

FIG'URE,Ā verb transitiveĀ fig'ur.

1.Ā To form or mold into any determinate shape.

Accept this goblet, rough with figured gold.

2.Ā To show by a corporeal resemblance, as in picture or statuary.

3.Ā To cover or adorn with figures or images; to mark with figures; to form figures in by art; as, toĀ figureĀ velvet or muslin.

4.Ā To diversify; to variegate with adventitious forms of matter.

5.Ā To represent by a typical or figurative resemblance.

The matter of the sacraments figureth their end.

6.Ā To imagine; to image in the mind.

7.Ā To prefigure; to foreshow.

8.Ā To form figuratively; to use in a sense not literal; as figured expressions. [Little used.]

9.Ā To note by characters.

As though a crystal glass the figured hours are seen.

10.Ā In music, to pass several notes for one; to form runnings or variations.

FIG'URE,Ā verb intransitiveĀ To make a figure; to be distinguished. The envoy figured at the court of St. Cloud.

Edited by John Young