• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Is the feeling of fear, pride or humilty, love or hate, sorrow and joy, belief or unbelief, distrust or trust, submission or resistance, accept or reject, all of them can be considered as works? Why or why not? ,

• Members
11 hours ago, mbkjpreacher said:

Is the feeling of fear, pride or humilty, love or hate, sorrow and joy, belief or unbelief, distrust or trust, submission or resistance, accept or reject, all of them can be considered as works?  Why or why not? ,

Not sure If I'm seeing what you are aiming at.

Paul mentioned in Romans 10:16 that not all the Jews "obeyed the gospel" then he mentions hows one obeys i.e. by believing the report.

So I guess faith is a work ("work of faith") in a strange way but it has to be faith in the report i.e. the gospel.

You have to watch out with OVER-analyzing repentance and faith. Before you know it you'll be arguing about the difference between faith and belief, or did you really repent when you believed, or what happens if you stop believing, or "I don't feel like I have much faith today", or "If I'm really saved then why am I still doing this?", etc etc and you'll go bonkers. I know of many Christians ruined by this stuff (i.e. Lordship Salvation vs Easy Believism). One guy I know went completely bonkers and had to be committed. 

• Members
17 hours ago, SureWord said:

Not sure If I'm seeing what you are aiming at.

Paul mentioned in Romans 10:16 that not all the Jews "obeyed the gospel" then he mentions hows one obeys i.e. by believing the report.

So I guess faith is a work ("work of faith") in a strange way but it has to be faith in the report i.e. the gospel.

You have to watch out with OVER-analyzing repentance and faith. Before you know it you'll be arguing about the difference between faith and belief, or did you really repent when you believed, or what happens if you stop believing, or "I don't feel like I have much faith today", or "If I'm really saved then why am I still doing this?", etc etc and you'll go bonkers. I know of many Christians ruined by this stuff (i.e. Lordship Salvation vs Easy Believism). One guy I know went completely bonkers and had to be committed. 

What does it mean to obey the gospel?  The commands of the gospel is repentance and faith as you can read in Mark 1: 15.  Obedience to the gospel is not a work.  When the jailor asked, What must I do to be saved?  Paul said, Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ and thou shalt be saved.  (Acts 16:30-31).  Believing is not a work.  The word "do" does not mean work.  Humility is not a work, James 4: 6 God resisteth the proud and giveth grace to the humble.  If humility is a work then you cannot mix humility with God's grace, but God gives grace to the humble.  When you feel that you are underserving, it is not a work, when there is a humble heart does it not a work.  When you decide to yield or submit to the command to believe, that is not a work.. 

It is the belief if a pentecostal Jimmy Swaggart as I have read an article of his a very long time ago, and the pentecostal teach that as long as you have faith, then you are saved, but if you are weakening and you have doubt then you lose your salvation.  Such is because they do not understand that there are four kinds of faith. 

1. Intellectual faith -- This is mere belief James 2: 19

2. Saving faith -- Trusting in Jesus as Savior Eph 2: 8

3.  Faith in our daily Christian walk or working faith ( Gal.3:11; James 2: 17)

4.  Faith as system of doctrines and beliefs - Jude 3,4.  Body of beliefs. 

When a person has already accepted Christ by faith, he does need to maintain that faith to be saved.  Once he believed truly then he is already saved.  But even if there are points in his life where he doubt, or is tempted to sin, that won't lose his salvation.