• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

• Members

No matter how much of the Bible I read, how many sermons I listen to, or how much I pray, I cannot repent. 

I cannot truly have hatred of sin. My motivation is to not go to hell and when I feel at all secure that I’m going to Heaven, I immediately don’t care about if I’m sinning or not. 

I cannot feel bad that sin hurts God. I only care about myself. I’ve felt convicted for years that I’m unsaved for this reason. 

I don’t know what to do. I’m scared and running out of hope. I’m worried I’m to hard spiritually to repent. 

HOW do I settle this?? 

• Members

The fact you are on here asking for help shows contrition to me.

We are surrounded by sin and filth more than ever and it's hard not to get vexed like Lot was.

My advice is to focus more on Jesus than on your sins. Maybe carry a pocket bible, memorize some verses related to your struggles and put yourself in a position not to get jaded by the flesh, world and devil. I know, easier said than done.

Living for God helps also. That is, get out there and be a witness for Christ and take some knocks for him. This is one way to crucify the flesh. Fellowshipping with other believers as much as possible puts one in a position of accountability also.

But even so we will be beset by sin until our deaths or the rapture. This doesn't mean you haven't repented. It means you're in a battle with your flesh. 

• Members
12 hours ago, Roselove said:

No matter how much of the Bible I read, how many sermons I listen to, or how much I pray, I cannot repent. 

I cannot truly have hatred of sin. My motivation is to not go to hell and when I feel at all secure that I’m going to Heaven, I immediately don’t care about if I’m sinning or not. 

I cannot feel bad that sin hurts God. I only care about myself. I’ve felt convicted for years that I’m unsaved for this reason. 

I don’t know what to do. I’m scared and running out of hope. I’m worried I’m to hard spiritually to repent. 

HOW do I settle this?? 

No one is going to get rid of his sin.  My question, Do you want to live in sin or you want to be saved from its penalty and power?  

• Members
16 hours ago, Roselove said:

HOW do I settle this?? 

Hi sister, no easy or cliche answers seem to help anymore do they?

If you are serious then try this. Listen to His Word and listen intently. As if your life depended on it.

Bread of Life

Edited by wretched

• Members
3 hours ago, wretched said:

Hi sister, no easy or cliche answers seem to help anymore do they?

If you are serious then try this. Listen to His Word and listen intently. As if your life depended on it.

Bread of Life

I’ve tried this and got so weary and afraid, because I’m just agonizing to be saved, but I’m listening to the same things I already know, trying to get to that point! If God is ready to save me, I want to be saved today, I can’t take it anymore! I was reading the Gospel of John last night, I already have heard and read it, it doesn’t make me more ready to be saved, I already want to!! 

• Members
5 hours ago, mbkjpreacher said:

No one is going to get rid of his sin.  My question, Do you want to live in sin or you want to be saved from its penalty and power?  

I don’t want my sin to drag me to hell, so I want Christ to change me SO I can please Him. But, I know we are supposed to love God, before we can get saved, right? At least at the initial point of salvation? I mean, if I go back to my sin as soon as I get a little assurance, because I feel “off the hook”, do I TRULY love God? I know Biblically that can’t be the case. I’ve tried and wept and agonized and read the Bible, prayed, searched the Scriptures, talked with other Christians for 8 years now and still feel convicted I’m unsaved. 

I don’t know what to do anymore. I’m getting closer to death and I’m getting more depressed and probably more hardened. Believe me, IVE TRIED to get right!!

• Members
4 minutes ago, Roselove said:

I’ve tried this and got so weary and afraid, because I’m just agonizing to be saved, but I’m listening to the same things I already know, trying to get to that point! If God is ready to save me, I want to be saved today, I can’t take it anymore! I was reading the Gospel of John last night, I already have heard and read it, it doesn’t make me more ready to be saved, I already want to!! 

Consider doing it again Rose. Listen with a prayerful and open heart and stop looking for reinforcement of what you have already been taught when you listen. Dismiss everything you have heard from men and start over. Only God's unadulterated Word can give you the Spirit's witness with your spirit. Quick human reassurances cannot. I can honestly tell you right now that it will not be a quick change in your heart but it is totally up to you. If you are truly seeking Him than show Him and you will find Him. You may think you have read and understood the New Testament but your understanding is only through other's lenses if you are honest with yourself.

You are living evidence that human reassurances only work temporarily and only in the mind, not the heart. Remember in sales, salesmen are taught how to handle objections and then how to handle buyer's remorse. This is not a sales transaction. You need the Living Water, the Bread of Life and you need to look at His Word in this way and only this way. Not as a resource to answer a specific question but the food of eternal life.

Trust me, it will work. Listen as if it were food and you were starving, He will show you Truths you have never heard from anyone before including the Word of His patience and He will give you the peace that passes all understanding.

It is all He wants from you, remember Mary Magdalene whom our Lord complemented.

Luke 10:

[39] And she had a sister called Mary, which also sat at Jesus' feet, and heard his word.
[40] But Martha was cumbered about much serving, and came to him, and said, Lord, dost thou not care that my sister hath left me to serve alone? bid her therefore that she help me.
[41] And Jesus answered and said unto her, Martha, Martha, thou art careful and troubled about many things:
[42] But one thing is needful: and Mary hath chosen that good part, which shall not be taken away from her.

• Members
52 minutes ago, wretched said:

Consider doing it again Rose. Listen with a prayerful and open heart and stop looking for reinforcement of what you have already been taught when you listen. Dismiss everything you have heard from men and start over. Only God's unadulterated Word can give you the Spirit's witness with your spirit. Quick human reassurances cannot. I can honestly tell you right now that it will not be a quick change in your heart but it is totally up to you. If you are truly seeking Him than show Him and you will find Him. You may think you have read and understood the New Testament but your understanding is only through other's lenses if you are honest with yourself.

You are living evidence that human reassurances only work temporarily and only in the mind, not the heart. Remember in sales, salesmen are taught how to handle objections and then how to handle buyer's remorse. This is not a sales transaction. You need the Living Water, the Bread of Life and you need to look at His Word in this way and only this way. Not as a resource to answer a specific question but the food of eternal life.

Trust me, it will work. Listen as if it were food and you were starving, He will show you Truths you have never heard from anyone before including the Word of His patience and He will give you the peace that passes all understanding.

It is all He wants from you, remember Mary Magdalene whom our Lord complemented.

Luke 10:

[39] And she had a sister called Mary, which also sat at Jesus' feet, and heard his word.
[40] But Martha was cumbered about much serving, and came to him, and said, Lord, dost thou not care that my sister hath left me to serve alone? bid her therefore that she help me.
[41] And Jesus answered and said unto her, Martha, Martha, thou art careful and troubled about many things:
[42] But one thing is needful: and Mary hath chosen that good part, which shall not be taken away from her.

I’m very scared, but I know it’s my human flesh/the devil. I’m scared I won’t be able to repent or what he will show me, but I know the condemnation is that light has come to the world and men hated the light, lest their deeds be reproved. 

PLEASE pray for me!!!

• Members

So are you saying you are not saved? Or are you? I'm getting mixed messages.

1 hour ago, Roselove said:

I’m very scared, but I know it’s my human flesh/the devil. I’m scared I won’t be able to repent or what he will show me, but I know the condemnation is that light has come to the world and men hated the light, lest their deeds be reproved. 

PLEASE pray for me!!!

Repenting of your sin does not save you. Loving God does not save you. Jesus saves you. Trust in him. Throw yourself at his Mercy Seat.

• Members
9 hours ago, Roselove said:

I don’t want my sin to drag me to hell, so I want Christ to change me SO I can please Him. But, I know we are supposed to love God, before we can get saved, right? At least at the initial point of salvation? I mean, if I go back to my sin as soon as I get a little assurance, because I feel “off the hook”, do I TRULY love God? I know Biblically that can’t be the case. I’ve tried and wept and agonized and read the Bible, prayed, searched the Scriptures, talked with other Christians for 8 years now and still feel convicted I’m unsaved. 

I don’t know what to do anymore. I’m getting closer to death and I’m getting more depressed and probably more hardened. Believe me, IVE TRIED to get right!!

If you displeased your husband or boyfriend, does it mean that you do not love him?  If you as a Christian failed God by your displeasing action, does it mean you do not love God?  No.  While in this life, no one is able to eradicate sin, but we can consider ourselves dead to sin, and need to overcome it daily as a saved person.  But in the case if you are not saved yet, do not think that you need to have a great degree of love for God before you can get saved.  I wonder if babies have love for their parents, or it is all the love of their parents but you will notice that when babies obey their parents such as get this or that, that is because of love.  Babies have feelings too.  Why do babies cry because they love to be with their mother.  I believe there must be some love when you trust God as Savior as the Bible says: 

For in Jesus Christ neither circumcision availeth any thing, nor uncircumcision; but faith which worketh by love.
(Galatians 5:6)

Faith which worketh by love.  

My question, is it possible for a person to hate sin yet being controlled to do it because of the desire of the flesh? 

For that which I do I allow not: for what I would, that do I not; but what I hate, that do I.
(Romans 7:15)

Does it mean that the Christian does not love God anymore when he fails and commit sin?  

Does it mean that a child does not love his parent anymore when he fails and displeases them? 

The love of the child still needs to grow, and we need to grow in our love for God also, but I believe there must be love at the start and does not mean to be that of great maturity as we need to grow in maturity.  

We love him, because he first loved us.
(1 John 4:19)

How did you start to love God?  That is when you understand His love for you through the gospel message. 

Hereby perceive we the love of God, because he laid down his life for us: and we ought to lay down our lives for the brethren.
(1 John 3:16)

In this was manifested the love of God toward us, because that God sent his only begotten Son into the world, that we might live through him. Herein is love, not that we loved God, but that he loved us, and sent his Son to be the propitiation for our sins.
(1 John 4:9-10)

You may be trying to eradicate sin in your life or to make an effort to stop sinning.  Repentance is not an effort to stop sinning, but a change of mind to agree that sin is sin and is displeasing to God.  Turning to God from sin does not mean that you have to exert an effort to stop sinning, but just where you are, acknowledge that you are a sinner and have sinned against God,  and you do not want to live in the way of sin, repent,  admit that you cannot change yourself from sinning, but that only God can change you, and that acknowledge that Christ died for your sins and trust Him that He has forgiven you of all your sins.   

Here are my questions:

Do you admit that you are a sinner?

Do you admit that you are hell-bound and condemned sinner?  

Are you sorry that you have been living a sinful life that is displeasing to God?

Do you admit that you cannot save yourself no matter how you strive to?

Do you admit that you are utterly a failure to fulfill all the commands of God? 

Do you admit that your self effort cannot save you and change your life? 

Do you believe that God loves you and Christ died for you? 

Do you believe that when Christ died on the cross, He paid for all your sins? 

Would you trust Him as Lord and Savior and that right now He when you trust Him, all your sins are forgiven?  

• Members

The LORD is nigh unto them that are of a broken heart; and saveth such as be of a contrite spirit.
(Psalms 34:18)

For all those things hath mine hand made, and all those things have been, saith the LORD: but to this man will I look, even to him that is poor and of a contrite spirit, and trembleth at my word.
(Isaiah 66:2)

But he giveth more grace. Wherefore he saith, God resisteth the proud, but giveth grace unto the humble.
(James 4:6)

Hearken, my beloved brethren, Hath not God chosen the poor of this world rich in faith, and heirs of the kingdom which he hath promised to them that love him?
(James 2:5)

For ye see your calling, brethren, how that not many wise men after the flesh, not many mighty, not many noble, are called: But God hath chosen the foolish things of the world to confound the wise; and God hath chosen the weak things of the world to confound the things which are mighty;
(1 Corinthians 1:26-27)

Does not the passage teach that one must humble under conviction, be sorry of his sins, repent and trust God?  How could a person trust God if he is full of pride and there is no fear of God.  How would he believe if he loves sin and hates God, and does not want to be delivered from his sin?  Perhaps you mean just intellectual belief, not saving faith.  

• Members

Evidently, Satan has managed to infect you with a guilt complex. Please pray for God to resist & defeat the devil for you, and call upon Jesus.  Remember John 3:16 & Romans 10:13  The "whosoevers" in those verses mean just THAT.