• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Canon of Scripture.

• Members
9 hours ago, OlBrotherDC said:

So your out soul-winning, and someone asks you "How" and "Who" selected the Canon of Scripture. Whats your first thought? 

The entire Canon of Books were recorded down by end of first century, and were pretty much universally used and recognized early second century!

• Members
8 minutes ago, OlBrotherDC said:

I missed the “How“ or “Who” in your answer. 

I'm sorry, I thought I was clear in avoiding the "How" or "Why" of such a subject while soulwinning. Are you there to witness to them or get sidetracked in a theological debate?

Was my post deleted?

Edited by SureWord

• Members
26 minutes ago, SureWord said:

I'm sorry, I thought I was clear in avoiding the "How" or "Why" of such a subject while soulwinning. Are you there to witness to them or get sidetracked in a theological debate?

Was my post deleted?

I wasn’t quoting you, I was quoting DaChaser, I haven’t seen your post. 

• Members
8 minutes ago, OlBrotherDC said:

I wasn’t quoting you, I was quoting DaChaser, I haven’t seen your post. 

Well, my post must have been deleted I guess or was never posted to begin with.

In a nutshell, those kind of questions are usually someone (Satan?) trying to deter you from the gospel message but maybe not always. I gave an example of someone I work with that brought up the translations issue when I tried witnessing to them.

So my first thought would be that the "Who" and "How" was to get me off the gospel message. I would tell them I'll try to answer his questions afterward.

• Members
1 hour ago, SureWord said:

Well, my post must have been deleted I guess or was never posted to begin with.

In a nutshell, those kind of questions are usually someone (Satan?) trying to deter you from the gospel message but maybe not always. I gave an example of someone I work with that brought up the translations issue when I tried witnessing to them.

So my first thought would be that the "Who" and "How" was to get me off the gospel message. I would tell them I'll try to answer his questions afterward.

Did anyone in Scripture ever question if Scripture is God's Word , as far as you know ?

I do not remember hearing about anyone (anyone set apart holy to God,  by God) who did not believe that Scripture is God's Word.  (i.e. Truth, True, Faithful)

Perhaps even the enemies of God fully acknowledged that Scripture is God's Word ?

But today,  compare if possible what we know about in our lifetimes,  and previous recent generations - how many deny God's Word (everyone practically) ?   

They chose to trust or to serve something else?

The First Council of Nicaea, (325),  meeting in ancient Nicaea (now İznik, Turkey). It was called by the unbaptized emperor Constantine I, He presided over the opening session and took part in the discussions.

The canon was pretty much agreed on at that time. The Orthodox Church as and the Western Canon is not identical. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members
On 7/3/2020 at 9:55 AM, Bouncing Bill said:

The First Council of Nicaea, (325),  meeting in ancient Nicaea (now İznik, Turkey). It was called by the unbaptized emperor Constantine I, He presided over the opening session and took part in the discussions.

The canon was pretty much agreed on at that time. The Orthodox Church as and the Western Canon is not identical. 

The Church had accepted as Canon for OT same books as at the time of Jesus, and all but 4 of the Canon NT books had been received and accepted by end of first century!

1 hour ago, DaChaser said:

The Church had accepted as Canon for OT same books as at the time of Jesus, and all but 4 of the Canon NT books had been received and accepted by end of first century!

1 hour ago, DaChaser said:

I'm not arguing with you. But please give me a reference so I can read the information you give. 

I am not sure what you mean 'at the time of Jesus.' Jesus had ascended before any of the New Testament was written. Please enlighten me. Thanks.

• Members
22 hours ago, Bouncing Bill said:

I'm not arguing with you. But please give me a reference so I can read the information you give. 

I am not sure what you mean 'at the time of Jesus.' Jesus had ascended before any of the New Testament was written. Please enlighten me. Thanks.

The Church accepted the OT canon as fixed at time of Jesus....

37 minutes ago, DaChaser said:

The Church accepted the OT canon as fixed at time of Jesus....

What church are you speaking about? To my knowledge there was no Christian church while Christ was on earth. He attended the synagogue, even during his travels. I remember my pastor, decades ago, preaching a series of sermons on Jesus using "as was his custom". Luke 4:16 is an example:

Luke 4:16 -- So He came to Nazareth, where He had been brought up. And as His custom was, He went into the synagogue on the Sabbath day, and stood up to read.

I believe there are ten verses speaking of Jesus attending, or going to a synagogue. 

• Members
4 hours ago, Bouncing Bill said:

What church are you speaking about? To my knowledge there was no Christian church while Christ was on earth. He attended the synagogue, even during his travels. I remember my pastor, decades ago, preaching a series of sermons on Jesus using "as was his custom". Luke 4:16 is an example:

Luke 4:16 -- So He came to Nazareth, where He had been brought up. And as His custom was, He went into the synagogue on the Sabbath day, and stood up to read.

I believe there are ten verses speaking of Jesus attending, or going to a synagogue. 

Church as in the group that was created on day of Pentecost!

• Administrators
6 minutes ago, DaChaser said:

Church as in the group that was created on day of Pentecost!

Nonsense; the first church was already in existence before Pentecost. The Lord's Supper is a church ordinance and was partaken of before Pentecost.

Luke 22:19 (KJV) And he took bread, and gave thanks, and brake it, and gave unto them, saying, This is my body which is given for you: this do in remembrance of me.

2 hours ago, Jim_Alaska said:

Nonsense; the first church was already in existence before Pentecost. The Lord's Supper is a church ordinance and was partaken of before Pentecost.

Luke 22:19 (KJV) And he took bread, and gave thanks, and brake it, and gave unto them, saying, This is my body which is given for you: this do in remembrance of me.

2 hours ago, Jim_Alaska said:

I agree the first Lord's Supper was before Pentecost. Catholics believe that the meeting in the Upper Room was the first meeting of a Christian Church. I know of no other place where nor have I ever heard anyone call that a church meeting. Can you give me scripture where a Christian church is said to exist before Pentecost? I'd appreciate it. 

Groups met after Christ's ascension. no question about that.Where they a Christian church? I do not remember any scripture or other writing from that time calling that meeting the church. It may be that in the Apocrypha may speak to this, but I am not aware of it doing so. As I said above, Catholics teach that the meeting in the upper room was the first meeting of a Christian church.  The first place in the New Testament that I know of where the word [translated of course] church or ekklesia is used is Matt. 16:18. Christ used the term. In contest he used future tense, not present. In Antioch, Acts 11:20-21, the term Christian is used as Christian Church. My understanding is followers were first called Christian there. Paul visited Antioch a number of times. There was some type of unfortunate incident at Antioch, a disagreement between Paul and Peter. When Paul left after this incident he never returned to that city and church. It is in his letter to the Galatians,  where he speaks of that incident and then writes his great passage on works and faith.