• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Did Curtis Hutson teach that Repentance is a work like Steven Anderson?

• Members
1 hour ago, mbkjpreacher said:

Did Curtis Hutson teach that Repentance is a work like Steven Anderson?

Curtis Hutson, as a Bible believing Christian, knew that his place in Heaven was secured by repentance toward God and faith toward the Lord Jesus Christ and the blood He shed for our sins when He died on the cross of Calvary. Brother Smith is with the Lord Jesus Christ right now, but do you know, with 100% assurance, from God's Word, that you will be with Jesus when you die? 

This came from www.earnestlycontending.com/KT/bios/curtishutson.html 

Judging from the word repentance being used in this, either himself or the person who wrote it does not believe that repentance is a work. Take from that what you will. ?

• Members

That phrase "repentance toward God, and faith toward the Lord Jesus Christ" is actually a partial quote right out of Acts 20:21. It is used to sum up the scope of Paul's preaching and teaching.

If you want to know what Hutson taught on repentance, he actually has a chapter about repentance you could read in his book, "Salvation Crystal Clear." It's been so long since I've read it, I couldn't begin to come close to any quotations, but I think I'm accurate in that he did not believe that repentance was a work separated from faith in Christ.

• Members
On 7/1/2020 at 11:33 PM, DoctorDaveT said:

That phrase "repentance toward God, and faith toward the Lord Jesus Christ" is actually a partial quote right out of Acts 20:21. It is used to sum up the scope of Paul's preaching and teaching.

If you want to know what Hutson taught on repentance, he actually has a chapter about repentance you could read in his book, "Salvation Crystal Clear." It's been so long since I've read it, I couldn't begin to come close to any quotations, but I think I'm accurate in that he did not believe that repentance was a work separated from faith in Christ.

I think no one heard or read Curtis Hutson teach that repentance of sin is a work just like Steven Anderson who pointed and interpreted Jonah 3: 10 that repentance of sin is a work.  There is however an evolution of the idea that repentance of sin is a work.  Though God never repented of sin, but changes his mind from bringing evil punishment to being patient toward them, yet when man is commanded by God to repent, it is about repentance of sin, and not just from a wrong method of salvation.  False method of salvation is surely a sin.  Unbelief is also sin.  To say that unbelief is not sin, is against the Scripture, because unbelief is listed as one of the sins in Rev. 21: 8.  Should a sinner repent of the sin of unbelief?  Yes!!!  Even those who say that repentance of sin is unbiblical yet if you would ask them, Did you repent of the sin of unbelief?  Still they would say yes.  The pentecostal has a wrong understanding of repentance and they teach that repentance of sin means quitting, doing works, stop sinning.  Gradually the idea sucks into the minds of some Baptist preachers and they thought that if repentance of sin is a work then it is not a requisite of salvation because salvation is by grace not by works.  So they removed the repentance of sin as requisite to salvation with faith, and placed it after salvation.  I think it is Anderson who discovered and started using Jonah 3: 10 that repentance of sin is a work. 

Jonah 3: 10 does not say that repentance of sin is a work.  "And God saw their works that they turned from their evil way; and God repented of the evil that he said he would do unto them and he did it not" (Jonah 3:10).  The word "that" in the  Hebrew is "ki".  The same Hebrew word was used in Genesis 26:20 which was translated as "because".  "...and he called the name of the well Ezek; BECAUSE they strove with him" (Genesis 26:20).  That word "because" is the same Hebrew word "Ki" which was used in Jonah 3: 10, that means the word that in Jonah 3: 10 can mean also "in that" or "because".   In Genesis 26:20, they did not call the well Ezek in order to strive with him, rather they called the name of the well Ezek because they strove with him.   In the same way,  God did not see their works as repentance.  Neither did they work to repent.  Rather God saw their work because they repented of their sin.   Do you think that these people were not saved because they repented of their sin?  According to Matthew 12: 41, Jesus said that they repented at the preaching of Jonah.  What do you think is the kind of repentance did the  people of Nineveh had, because Jesus said it was by the preaching of Jonah.  What kind of repentance did Jonah preach?  If the Nineveh people were not saved, how could they rise in judgment with the generation who rejected Jesus. see Matthew 12: 41.   Were the Nineveh saved or not?

• Moderators

The big issue with repentance is that it is two-fold in nature: at salvation, we repent in our hearts of SIN, not sins, plural, but sin, the very concept of it. That is part of confession of our sin, which is necessary for salvation, not confessing our sins, plural, because we could never do that; rather, we confess that we are sinners, that we sin, the very fact of it, and so, repent, or turn from that life of sin, in the heart.

Once we are saved, then the repentance of sins, plural, the work, begins, as we grow in grace and understanding of what are specifically sins in our lives, and we turn actively from them to follow the Lord.  As mbkjpreacher said above, in Nineveh, they were repentant in heart, and their actions, the fruit of repentance, then followed. 

• Members
22 minutes ago, Ukulelemike said:

The big issue with repentance is that it is two-fold in nature: at salvation, we repent in our hearts of SIN, not sins, plural, but sin, the very concept of it. That is part of confession of our sin, which is necessary for salvation, not confessing our sins, plural, because we could never do that; rather, we confess that we are sinners, that we sin, the very fact of it, and so, repent, or turn from that life of sin, in the heart.

Once we are saved, then the repentance of sins, plural, the work, begins, as we grow in grace and understanding of what are specifically sins in our lives, and we turn actively from them to follow the Lord.  As mbkjpreacher said above, in Nineveh, they were repentant in heart, and their actions, the fruit of repentance, then followed. 

This is WORKS! It is Lordship Salvation! Repentance is from the Greek word Metanoia which means to change one's mind or thinking. Not repent of sin, repent of sins, turn from sin, turn from sins, none of that as those are all WORKS!

• Administrators
1 hour ago, Scott Lyons said:

This is WORKS! It is Lordship Salvation! Repentance is from the Greek word Metanoia which means to change one's mind or thinking. Not repent of sin, repent of sins, turn from sin, turn from sins, none of that as those are all WORKS!

If we do not repent of SIN, then what is it that we repent of?

Repenting of sin is not a work. John the Baptist's message was "Repent". Matthew 3:2 (KJV) And saying, Repent ye: for the kingdom of heaven is at hand.

The message of Jesus was Repent: Mark 1:15 (KJV) And saying, The time is fulfilled, and the kingdom of God is at hand: repent ye, and believe the gospel.

Luke 13:5 (KJV) I tell you, Nay: but, except ye repent, ye shall all likewise perish.

Repent and believe, it is always in this order. Do you really believe that Jesus and John were telling people to work for their salvation?

• Members
1 hour ago, Jim_Alaska said:

Repenting of sin is not a work. John the Baptist's message was "Repent". Matthew 3:2 (KJV) And saying, Repent ye: for the kingdom of heaven is at hand.

The message of Jesus was Repent: Mark 1:15 (KJV) And saying, The time is fulfilled, and the kingdom of God is at hand: repent ye, and believe the gospel.

Luke 13:5 (KJV) I tell you, Nay: but, except ye repent, ye shall all likewise perish.

Repent and believe, it is always in this order. Do you really believe that Jesus and John were telling people to work for their salvation?

Repent is from the Greek word Metanoeo which means to change your mind or change your thinking. It does not mean to turn from sin or repent of sin. You will not see the exact phrase "repent of sin" anywhere in the Bible. And the Greek words for turn and repent are completely different words! So to tell someone that they must repent of their sins, or turn from their sins in order to be saved is heresy! It is false! That is Lordship Salvation! I will link an article by the late A. Ray Stanford in explaining exactly what repentance is in regards to salvation. And if we do have to repent or turn from all our sins, have you done that? http://www.biblelineministries.org/onlinebooks/handbook-of-personal-evangelism/ch6.html

• Members

Please consider that the Holy Spirit is here to reprove (convict) the world of sin, of righteousness and of Judgment.

When those who have ears to hear are convicted and believe they are in fact repenting, as in having a change of heart about sin; about God's Righteousness and about Judgment to come.

• Administrators
7 hours ago, Scott Lyons said:

So to tell someone that they must repent of their sins, or turn from their sins in order to be saved is heresy! It is false! That is Lordship Salvation!

Hmmm, learn something new every day I guess. I have been called many things in my life, but heretic is not one of them until now.

I guess that according to your understanding both John The Baptist and Jesus were heretics also.

John the Baptist's message was "Repent". Matthew 3:2 (KJV) And saying, Repent ye: for the kingdom of heaven is at hand.

The message of Jesus was Repent: Mark 1:15 (KJV) And saying, The time is fulfilled, and the kingdom of God is at hand: repent ye, and believe the gospel.

• Members
15 hours ago, Jim_Alaska said:

Hmmm, learn something new every day I guess. I have been called many things in my life, but heretic is not one of them until now.

I guess that according to your understanding both John The Baptist and Jesus were heretics also.

John the Baptist's message was "Repent". Matthew 3:2 (KJV) And saying, Repent ye: for the kingdom of heaven is at hand.

The message of Jesus was Repent: Mark 1:15 (KJV) And saying, The time is fulfilled, and the kingdom of God is at hand: repent ye, and believe the gospel.

Yes in Matthew 3:2, and Mark 1:15 repent means to change your mind. Change your mind for the kingdom of heaven is at hand. And The time is fulfilled, and the kingdom of God is at hand: change your mind ye, and believe the gospel. NOT repent of your sins!

15 hours ago, Jim_Alaska said:

Does it say repent of your sins in those verses? No it does not! It says repent! Repent is the Greek word Metanoeo which means to change your mind or thinking.

• Members

It could be argued that John the Baptist and later on Jesus was speaking to a nation as a whole to repent (i.e. change their direction) while when preaching to an individual the emphasis is on faith only. A nation can repent and change their ways before it's turned into hell yet not necessarily mean everyone is believing on the gospel of the death, burial and resurrection of Jesus Christ..

Notice that the disciples of John in Acts 19 repented at the preaching of John (or perhaps Apollos) but still weren't born again? 

It seems that repentance in the gospels was being preached at a group of people waiting on their Messiah who were bound to God by a covenant so the situation appears to be different from now. It would be more inline with Revelation chapters 1-3 where repentance is being preached to some of those churches that had saved and unsaved within them. 

• Members
On 7/8/2020 at 1:29 AM, Scott Lyons said:

Repent is from the Greek word Metanoeo which means to change your mind or change your thinking. It does not mean to turn from sin or repent of sin. You will not see the exact phrase "repent of sin" anywhere in the Bible. And the Greek words for turn and repent are completely different words! So to tell someone that they must repent of their sins, or turn from their sins in order to be saved is heresy! It is false! That is Lordship Salvation! I will link an article by the late A. Ray Stanford in explaining exactly what repentance is in regards to salvation. And if we do have to repent or turn from all our sins, have you done that? http://www.biblelineministries.org/onlinebooks/handbook-of-personal-evangelism/ch6.html

I have two question for you:

a) Do you believe that unbelief is sin?

b) Should you repent of the sin of unbelief?  

On 7/8/2020 at 12:20 AM, Jim_Alaska said:

If the sinner is not to repent of sin, then what is he to repent of? 

• Members
13 hours ago, Scott Lyons said:

Yes in Matthew 3:2, and Mark 1:15 repent means to change your mind. Change your mind for the kingdom of heaven is at hand. And The time is fulfilled, and the kingdom of God is at hand: change your mind ye, and believe the gospel. NOT repent of your sins!

Does it say repent of your sins in those verses? No it does not! It says repent! Repent is the Greek word Metanoeo which means to change your mind or thinking.

Question 1:  If Jesus is not calling sinners to repent of their sin, then what are they to repent of? 

Question 2:  According to Jesus in Matthew 12:41, the Nineveh people repented at the preaching of Jonas.  My question, what kind of repentance was it when they repented at the preaching of Jonas?  a) repentance of sin  b) repentance not of sin

Question 3.  What was the command in the preaching of Jonah?  a) Repentance of sin b) Repentance not of sin. 

Question 4:  Is it your proposition that when you find a verse where sin is not mentioned that it is not repentance of sin such as this verse in Matthew 12: 41?  

9 hours ago, SureWord said:

It could be argued that John the Baptist and later on Jesus was speaking to a nation as a whole to repent (i.e. change their direction) while when preaching to an individual the emphasis is on faith only. A nation can repent and change their ways before it's turned into hell yet not necessarily mean everyone is believing on the gospel of the death, burial and resurrection of Jesus Christ..

Notice that the disciples of John in Acts 19 repented at the preaching of John (or perhaps Apollos) but still weren't born again? 

It seems that repentance in the gospels was being preached at a group of people waiting on their Messiah who were bound to God by a covenant so the situation appears to be different from now. It would be more inline with Revelation chapters 1-3 where repentance is being preached to some of those churches that had saved and unsaved within them. 

Is it your belief that when you see a verse that mentioned just faith or believe, that such is without repentance such as John 6:47 and Eph. 2:8?