• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Where did Jesus go when he died, hell burning with fire or paradise?

• Members
2 hours ago, Ukulelemike said:

Since the direct context of the speaking of the story, was in response to the Pharisees deriding Jesus due to their covetousness, it would seem to me that it was given to show that, like the rich man, who probably was a regular visitor to the temple, and seen as a pillar of the community, like them, went to hell, while the kind of person they would look down upon, the beggar, went to paradise, without the ability to go and bring sacrifices to the temple, and was viewed as less than human, particularly to the Pharisees who were covetous and loved to serve mammon, the parable would have been a testimony against them.

They loved riches, like the rich man, but his love for riches only brought damnation, and so it would them, if they did learn to reject such and simply trust in God, as did Lazarus.

So, to some extent the account (illustration) of Luke 16:19-31 was to illustrate the point of Luke 16:15?  Seems contextually reasonable.  I still would prefer simply to call it an illustrative account/record than a "parable," simply because most people view the definition of "parable" as indicating a "fictional" illustration to make a spiritual point.  Regardless of the descriptive "title" that we give to this account, I would contend that it was a HISTORICALLY FACTUAL event/account.

• Moderators
56 minutes ago, Pastor Scott Markle said:

So, to some extent the account (illustration) of Luke 16:19-31 was to illustrate the point of Luke 16:15?  Seems contextually reasonable.  I still would prefer simply to call it an illustrative account/record than a "parable," simply because most people view the definition of "parable" as indicating a "fictional" illustration to make a spiritual point.  Regardless of the descriptive "title" that we give to this account, I would contend that it was a HISTORICALLY FACTUAL event/account.

Generally, so would I, but it would serve as a defense against the JW's seeking to make what Jesus said somehow a piece of fiction, while still agreeing its a parable. Jesus spoke no fiction, and the lack of outrage by the Jews against this "mythical" place called Hell, as the JW's see it, shows that they fully understood what it was, and they agreed with its existence.

• Members
On 7/2/2020 at 3:49 PM, DaChaser said:

Cults and others have read that use of Hell as being the standard meaning of place of judgement, but the real meaning was the grave!

There are certain areas where it should be!

That is JW teachig.  If you read |Herodotus. you will see that the Greeks believed Shrol was where the devil lived.