• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Counsel Needed About KJV Compromise

• Members

For a number of months during the messages at our little local church, I've been silently quoting a verse here and there that I'd memorized and found that I was off a word or two; so I thought.  I didn't think that much about it because I figured that the Pastor was just quoting only part of the verse and continuing on with the message.  It didn't even cross my mind until this morning as we were listening to our pastor giving the message on our church's radio station.  He read a verse....one that I know very well...and I was flabberghasted!  I quickly got on the cell and for some reason chose the NKJV to compare to and it what it said.....and that is exactly what the Pastor was reading from.  In all honesty, I was just so disappointed and grieved that I simply couldn't even listen to the rest of the message.  We have a copy of the Statement of Faith from 2005, and it says very clearly that the King James Version is the church's "official" version.  I am so sad.  

The closest church that uses the KJV is at least 85 miles away - one way.  Years ago we actually used to drive that far to go to church...but now that we are seniors, we simply can't go through all of the weather and the distance to go that far.  Our church was the only church in our area that uses the KJV...and now...they don't.  Please, if any of you can just give some counsel to help us with this situation it would be greatly appreciated.  We know that this little church is the one that we have to stick with; that's just the way it is.  What we need counsel for is how to deal with the disappointment and sadness in a godly way...and how to keep our attitude in check.  The pastor at the church that we used to travel so far to - once said in one of his messages how important it is that we don't "browbeat" others about the KJV, but to remember that they probably just haven't been educated about it.  I realize that sometimes just the simple truth with respect and honor, wisdom and meekness...is all that we can respond with.  However, I believe that if that is to happen, that it needs to be my husband that follows through with that.  Sigh...of course, we will be seeking the Lord's counsel overall...

A very interesting verse that came to mind was Ps 138:2, "I will worship toward thy hold temple, and praise thy name for thy lovingkindness and for thy truth: for thou hast magnified thy word above all thy name."

Looking forward to your responses...WWMS  

• Members

I felt saddened to hear that your pastor is leading your church away not only from the firm stand on the KJV, and using the NKJV, but he is also turning away from the written covenant of the church in a deceitful manner. Apart from seeking guidance through prayer, I would have your husband first approach the pastor, and politely as he can, and express your concerns. If you feel that the pastor needs to educated concerning the reason why, or the differences between the KJV and the NKJV, I would sit down and select several passages that deal with a doctrinal issue, put them on paper, and have your husband try and discuss these specific passages. Also, I would bring a copy of the church covenant and mention that this is the official church position on the KJV issue. After a time of pause in the issue, if it is not rectified, or hearts are hardened, I would bring the issue before the deacons of the church and seek their counsel.

Edited by Alan
our to are

• Moderators

If your church has, in it's statement of faith, something the entire church should have voted for, that the KJV is the only Bible to be used from the pulpit, then you need to kindly and humbly hold your pastor accountable. Pastors lead, but not like secular leaders-he is answerable to the church, and sometimes, we need to be reminded of this. 

It would be one thing to push a pastor to go against a statement of faith, or the rules set for the assembly, but quite another thing to hold him to obey them, as everyone else is supposed to. And if he continues to insist on leading down a wrong path, then the entire church needs to get involved and remind him that he serves the church, and is accountable to them, so long as they are accountable to God, and if he will not comply with the set rule, then maybe it is time for a new pastor. If he is quietly leading down a wrong path, then that path will only be the first. Sliding down the slope can be slow, but once it starts, it will continue if not dealt with swiftly.

Again, kindness, love and humility are very important, but so is truth and right.

• Members

Thank you Alan, Ukulelemike, and gracelife for your responses.  We are incorporating your thoughts into our prayers as we continue to seek the Lord's guidance.  I gave a somewhat shortened version of the situation...I would venture to say that probably the majority of the congregation uses a different version other than the KJV.  A few years ago, a fellow was chosen to teach Sunday School who uses another version.  We have yet to see an updated copy of the church's statement of faith, and we usually don't attend the business meetings, so we don't know if it was decided that the NKJV was deemed acceptable.  Sigh...I just can't help but to rehearse Jeremiah 17:9 in my heart and mind as I am seeing that "sliding down the slope slowly" as you mentioned, Mike.  Many years ago a lawyer friend of ours was adamant about our church using the KJV.  This friend also worked with the CLA traveling around the country defending churches.  There's just such a history there that we truly want to tread very wisely...and to respond in our hearts first with what is glorifying to our precious God.  Yes...we certainly will consider all of your suggestions, and again I thank you for them.  (Gracelife, thank you for suggesting listening to other preachers, and indeed we already listen to several.)

• Moderators
3 hours ago, robycop3 said:

The NKJV is an updated KJV, using the same manuscripts used to make the KJV.

There are serious difference between the KJV and the NKJV-it is NOT just updated, and they didn't use a majority of the manuscripts as the KJV translators used. Example:

See the source imageSee the source image

• Members

A moderator told me not to discuss the KJVO myth here, so I won't, but let me say that "by" indicates the person or agent doing something, while "trrough" can indicate the person or agent  successfully completing a project or objective, I. E. "the team  pulled out a victory THROUGH the quarterback's accurate passing." Just a matter of semantics.

• Members
12 hours ago, robycop3 said:

A moderator told me not to discuss the KJVO myth here, so I won't, but let me say that "by" indicates the person or agent doing something, while "trrough" can indicate the person or agent  successfully completing a project or objective, I. E. "the team  pulled out a victory THROUGH the quarterback's accurate passing." Just a matter of semantics.

So...

...which word is correct?

• Members
28 minutes ago, No Nicolaitans said:

So...

...which word is correct?

Either.

6 hours ago, No Nicolaitans said:

You just can't help yourself, can you?

Not when it comes to telling the truth.

• Members
17 minutes ago, robycop3 said:

Either

So...

Which one is interpreted correctly?

17 minutes ago, robycop3 said:

Not when it comes to telling the truth

So...

You're basically saying that God...

...who puts more importance on his word than his very name...and warns against adding to or taking away from his word...

...doesn't mind if his word is different in different versions.

Why are you here?

• Members
15 minutes ago, No Nicolaitans said:

So...

Which one is interpreted correctly?

So...

You're basically saying that God...

...who puts more importance on his word than his very name...and warns against adding to or taking away from his word...

...doesn't mind if his word is different in different versions.

Why are you here?

When did you become an English professor ?