• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

What Gets Your Gripe On?

• Moderators

So, what Biblical error do you come across often that just drives you nuts?

Here is mine: Pictures of the Lord's Supper with LEAVENED bread! Drives me NUTS! Where does anyone get the idea that the Lord's Supper, which was established using specifically unleavened bread, and considering the fact that the Bible uses leaven as a symbol of sin more than once, that we ought to be using leavened bread?   Now, I am against the use of any fermented wine for the cup, but at least I kind of understand the reason for that error. But LEAVENED bread for the body of Christ? 

Can anyone explain WHY this is done? Maybe someone here uses leavened bread and you can explain why.

• Moderators

Simple - a loaf of leavened bread is more aesthetically pleasing and identifiable in painting, drawing or photo than unleavened.

It's not right, I don't like it - but that's why (according to a family with 2 photographers and 2 artists). Personally, my wife and I don't like ANY attempts to portray the visage of our Lord (they're all going to get it wrong anyway).

The actual use of leavened bread? Ignorance, just like the Philippino pastor who used soda crackers and Coca-Cola for the Lord's supper observance.

• Members
12 hours ago, Jim_Alaska said:

Preachers saying amen as if it were a question, trying to get others to say amen to their sermon. Amen is never a question, it is an emphatic agreement with what the speaker is saying.

Oh no, I think that I do this sometimes. So . . .

• Administrators

Bro. Scott, I really do understand that we all have our own peculiarities, habits, and even styles in public speaking. I just submitted this example as one of my personal grips. I do not see it as anything that I would ever consider confronting anyone about, it is just something I don't care for. I can easily overlook it, so I guess it doesn't really drive me crazy, like Mike said.

So...  if this happens to be your style or just something that pops out now and then, please speak as The Lord leads you.

• Members
9 minutes ago, Jim_Alaska said:

Bro. Scott, I really do understand that we all have our own peculiarities, habits, and even styles in public speaking. I just submitted this example as one of my personal grips. I do not see it as anything that I would ever consider confronting anyone about, it is just something I don't care for. I can easily overlook it, so I guess it doesn't really drive me crazy, like Mike said.

So...  if this happens to be your style or just something that pops out now and then, please speak as The Lord leads you.

Brother Jim, in some sense I was just playing a little. I actually do your "gripe" sometimes; however, my posting was not overly serious in its expression of concern.  On the other hand, I very much appreciate your serious expression of grace.  Concerning that, I seriously do have real appreciation and respect.

• Moderators
On 4/16/2020 at 5:09 PM, OLD fashioned preacher said:

Simple - a loaf of leavened bread is more aesthetically pleasing and identifiable in painting, drawing or photo than unleavened.

It's not right, I don't like it - but that's why (according to a family with 2 photographers and 2 artists). Personally, my wife and I don't like ANY attempts to portray the visage of our Lord (they're all going to get it wrong anyway).

The actual use of leavened bread? Ignorance, just like the Philippino pastor who used soda crackers and Coca-Cola for the Lord's supper observance.

A local pastor recently encouraged folks listening to him online to partake of the Lord's Supper at home, assuming, I guess, that people understood how to do it properly: one lady, I was told, used a potato chip! POTATO CHIP! I GUESS it's unleavened, but it's definitely not bread!

• Members

Believers/preachers always talking about the word 'religion' as a negative.

Yet there's a verse in James where undefiled and pure religion is commendable. I think people want to refer to vain rituals, empty religion. But religion can be good

I'm not scared of the word, it relates to beliefs, but many times I see it presented as a wrong thing.

• 4 weeks later...