• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Modern Money

• Members

We are now running an average of about 15 people in services. Of that number,  7 of them get either disability, social security or a pay check direct deposited into their bank account. Which means they have to make a trip to town and an atm (or bank) to draw out their offering in cash, or write a check. We have to drive about 90 miles round trip to make a deposit. But no one hardly buys checks anymore. Before I got here, they (the six members that were still here) solved the dilemma by splitting up the church bills among them selves, taking them home and paying them online out of their personal checking accounts. Nothing was hardly ever collected here at the church, deposited and then paid out. 

I need to change all of that. I don't know how. I fear that I'm more 1920 than 2020.

I think maybe I can put some sort of button on the church Facebook page where they can click it and give an offering like that? We do get cash and checks here at the church building during services now, but it's a tiny percentage of what actually comes in. And were not having services for a while either, because of the virus. The old hands are still just paying the bills direct from home out of their tithe still in their personal checking accounts, because they can do it through technology. 

I don't need moralizing on the inappropriateness of the situation. I'm already aware of that. I need technical assistance on how to fix it. We live in a time of livestreaming services because of human frailties, I reckon this just might fall into that category.

Edited by weary warrior

• Moderators

Paypal can do payments into a specified account. I recently set that up, through the church's official email account. Our situation is virtually identical to yours, having to do about 90 miles round trip, or 120 miles the other way, to get to a bank. 

I can't say how well it works, as no one has put anything in, though I used Paypal to sell something online and the money was transferred in about 5 minutes, so in general it seems to work.

• Members

Back when I used Paypal for personal use for a short time, they charged me an unacceptable percentage to handle the money. What money I got, I got in a timely manner. I just didn't get it all. It may be different with a "non-profit". Ill have to check.

I am going to talk to the bank about direct deposit.

I just remembered that I have a sister that builds websites. I wonder if there is an answer somewhere in there too.

• Administrators

For the last 4 years our church has used https://get.tithe.ly/ for an online giving platform. One feature that I like is that it allows the giver to cover the processing fees. It is designed for churches and the giving part is free to use other than processing fees. 

Another one of the features we use is the Kiosk via a tablet on our welcome table. It allows those to give at the church via debit card. (Of course that is not relevant during these Covid-19 times).