• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Coronavirus - Is your church taking any measures?

• Administrators

Here in WA, the governor dictated that no gatherings larger than 250 were allowed, and schools are closed form now through April 24. Originally colleges were not, but they likely are now. Because tonight he came out and said no gatherings larger than 50, and any of the under 50 gatherings MUST abide by - and announce that they do - the hygiene and social distancing rules. He is also mandating that bars, restaurants, and entertainment venues be closed. And he and his cronies are promising that the financial aspect will be somehow remedied. READ: by the taxpayers.

I don't need a governor telling me how to be safe. I can figure it out myself - which is why I stayed home while I was sick. And now my mom is sick...she stayed home today. She's a smart cookie, too.

We only have the two girls coming to Sunday School, but they won't be here for an undetermined amount of time. Their mother is wanting them to be self-quarantined to make sure they don't have the virus at all (I'm thinking the school probably suggested that to parents). Even though the virus is not on the peninsula yet. It may or may not get here. 

Interestingly, the virus has stopped in China. Folks have gotten well and the temporary hospitals have been closed down. I hope Italy soon follows suit with people getting well. Italy has come out and said that nobody over 80 who has the virus will be treated. Socialized medicine at its "best."

Vitamin C, folks, among other things. Massive doses of it have helped folks who were very ill with this to get well. As of now, as far as I know, that's not something folks are buying, so it should be on the shelves.

• Administrators

CT, NJ, & NY just announced that all restaurants, movie theaters, and gyms are to close at 8pm tonight...only allowing  drive through open.  There goes my dinner plans for tonight. lol

I was schedule to preach last night in a church in Hartford Ct. --That got cancelled. I'm scheduled to preach at New England Baptist College on Monday - I think that is getting cancelled today.

• Members
9 hours ago, HappyChristian said:

Here in WA, the governor dictated that no gatherings larger than 250 were allowed, and schools are closed form now through April 24. Originally colleges were not, but they likely are now. Because tonight he came out and said no gatherings larger than 50, and any of the under 50 gatherings MUST abide by - and announce that they do - the hygiene and social distancing rules. He is also mandating that bars, restaurants, and entertainment venues be closed. And he and his cronies are promising that the financial aspect will be somehow remedied. READ: by the taxpayers.

I don't need a governor telling me how to be safe. I can figure it out myself - which is why I stayed home while I was sick. And now my mom is sick...she stayed home today. She's a smart cookie, too.

We only have the two girls coming to Sunday School, but they won't be here for an undetermined amount of time. Their mother is wanting them to be self-quarantined to make sure they don't have the virus at all (I'm thinking the school probably suggested that to parents). Even though the virus is not on the peninsula yet. It may or may not get here. 

Interestingly, the virus has stopped in China. Folks have gotten well and the temporary hospitals have been closed down. I hope Italy soon follows suit with people getting well. Italy has come out and said that nobody over 80 who has the virus will be treated. Socialized medicine at its "best."

Vitamin C, folks, among other things. Massive doses of it have helped folks who were very ill with this to get well. As of now, as far as I know, that's not something folks are buying, so it should be on the shelves.

I too live in WA. My wife has been working part-time in the school as a teacher's aid, and that ends today for a while. There has been no evidence of the panic reported in other areas here in SE Washington, for which I am greatful.

Our church is growing, but still very small. We had 18 in attendance yesterday. We will not be canceling services at this time, but will fully support and encourage those who are deciding to stay home for a time. We actually had a visitor, an elderly man in a wheelchair. I preached on not letting fear run your life, but balancing that with being wise and not tempting God.

• Administrators
10 hours ago, weary warrior said:

I too live in WA. My wife has been working part-time in the school as a teacher's aid, and that ends today for a while. There has been no evidence of the panic reported in other areas here in SE Washington, for which I am grateful.

Our church is growing, but still very small. We had 18 in attendance yesterday. We will not be canceling services at this time, but will fully support and encourage those who are deciding to stay home for a time. We actually had a visitor, an elderly man in a wheelchair. I preached on not letting fear run your life, but balancing that with being wise and not tempting God.

WW, it seems like you have taken a very reasonable approach in regard to the crisis in your area. Your sermon topic was very timely and I am sure helpful. I am so glad to hear of your increased attendance and especially grateful for your new visitor; this is very encouraging and reinforces our mission of winning the hearts and souls, one soul at a time.

• Administrators
3 hours ago, weary warrior said:

I too live in WA. My wife has been working part-time in the school as a teacher's aid, and that ends today for a while. There has been no evidence of the panic reported in other areas here in SE Washington, for which I am greatful.

Yes, the epicenter is King County (good metaphor...King County is the cause of most of our political problems here in the state LOL), with Spokane being the next largest problem. Even with that, considering the numbers who are listed as having the virus, it is a negligible number in comparison to the flu. The flu has also killed more people than this has. However, the flu is so common that government would have a hard time mandating the closure of things and thus bottoming out the economy. Well, other than toilet paper manufacturers. LOL

I'm glad you had 18 yesterday. And a visitor to boot! We had 5 in Sunday School and 7 in the main service, 5 last night. Some of our members (as I mentioned my mom) have self-quarantined due to colds. One member lives with his sister, brother-in-law, and niece (plus other family members). His BIL and niece both have major health issues that are actually terminial, so they are quarantined by doctor's order. They are also members of our church. Anyway, this member now has a cold and so is staying home - and virtually stuck in his room, because his niece is convinced he has covid (which has entirely different symptoms from what he has) and is afraid she will contract it. Understandable, because if she gets it, it will kill her most likely. However, that is a picture of what the media hype has done to people. Created a fear within them that makes them afraid of their own family. Small wonder that the majority of people have no issues with government mandated closures and limits on gatherings.

My husband is preaching on the different aspect of Christ this month. Yesterday he spoke  on Christ as Creator. He also was able to emphasize that we oughtn't let fear run our lives. I'm thankful for pastors who can actually comfort their people in this way!

~~~~~~~

Don't get me wrong - I don't want anybody sick. But I am tired of the hype. More people - VASTLY more - have survived the virus than have died from it. 

• Administrators
5 hours ago, Jim_Alaska said:

I find it quite interesting and possibly disconcerting that if you say these things to some people they are immediately on the defensive and even to the point of attacking you for not "caring."

One I was called: a judgmental pharisee. 

• Members

Update.  The government have now given their new advice and it is not as bad as we were given to believe.  Those of us over 70 have been advised top self isolate for 12 weeks.  They may introduce penalties if people don't comply. I have been told that Iceland stores are setting 2 hours, 9-11am tomorrow exclusively for those who are self isolating.  I spoke to our pastor this morning and said we would stay at home and listen to the services online for the immediate future and he agreed.  He is considering what to do about services and will consult with members. 

It is my birthday on Saturday and I was planning to take our family to a meal at the Everest Inn, a Nepalese which is popular with the family, but I will need to put that off.

• Moderators

I'm beyond caring about government mandated closures - I am increasingly thinking we should close (or meet outside - like Russian believers under Communism) for each other's safety. Actually - churches did that during the Spanish Influenza when they chose to shut the building doors!

• Moderators
31 minutes ago, Salyan said:

I'm beyond caring about government mandated closures - I am increasingly thinking we should close (or meet outside - like Russian believers under Communism) for each other's safety. Actually - churches did that during the Spanish Influenza when they chose to shut the building doors!

That can get you labeled Anti-government, anti-public safety, paranoid, extremist, cultist, anti- Rom 13, rebel, etc.

btw - not only do I understand that none of the above would be an accurate assessment——-my wife and I also agree with you!!!!!!!!

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

Here, all places of mass meeting have been closed. including churches.  Our church has had the services online with just the pastor preaching and hymns of the congregation already recorded.  The Tuesday bible study is also on line.  Last Thursday we had an on line prayer meeting using Zoom.  A couple of people who don't have internet used the phone in. Pastor Buss is considering an on line communion next week, but I am not sure that I agree with that.

• Administrators

Fear is a powerful tool and especially dangerous in the wrong hands, like government. Fear can and does affect individual lives and liberties and has a great negative impact of society on a broad scale.

I refuse to live in fear.

I believe in being careful, responsible, and reasonable, but fear I will not tolerate.

II Timothy 1:7  "For God hath not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind."

• 2 months later...
  • Members
On 3/13/2020 at 11:44 PM, Rebecca said:

On 3/13/2020 at 10:53 AM, Salyan said:

Not allowed, eh? That right there concerns me a whole lot more than any health danger. Our governments are using this as an excuse to test severe restriction of liberties, and the people are letting them. 

I doubt that. They're just trying to stop an epidemic from spreading, and the best way to do that is to limit social gatherings, of all kinds.

@Salyan has valid observations, in line with the KJV Scripture about these end hours.

(Government being strengthened in the enemy's camp,  as the Creator provided clear description of in His Word Inspired thousands of years ago.) .   (note, for instance, how many threads on prophecy are posted,  prophecy fulfilled, being fulfilled, as written) ....

btw,  only from a thread I just read from/about Taiwan, I think,  by God's Grace they did do well (an exception in the world),  isolating only those who were sick, or liable to be harmed if they got 'exposed' more, instead of isolating everyone.    Also, see below for a local instance of dealing with infections of all kinds. 

Also note that mankind/society does not have concern for the well-being , lives, or health of men, women or children (or babies).    All through the KJV the wickedness of mankind is revealed,  so much that men are devising harmful practices while they sleep , to put into practice the next day, eh?  

Oh,  I was raised to think government and doctors had our best interests,  but that is contrary to Scripture and different than reality,  as also shown the last hundred years and more in most direction of politics, corporate behavior,  medical behavior and rules, and so on.

The Author of Scripture is Trustworthy,  and shows clearly that men are not. 

--------------------------------------------

re "to stop an epidemic from spreading" "best way".....   

A few years ago,  television channels six and two in Oklahoma broadcast a report on site about /from the correction facility that houses 1000 and more inmates, plus perhaps a couple hundred guards/staff on site daily.    

Daily, they had had three to five infections needing medical (doctor and drugs) intervention , 

for years.    

Somehow,  someone found out about and started using throughout the facility a cleaner available at the time from a Depot Supply Company online only. 

They started using the cleaner (instead of the 'normal'/other cleaners commonly used),

in February that year.     The Televised News Visits were in June or July, basically after five months...

In that time, five months,  the 'new' cleaner was used,  the reporters asked the jail representatives how many infections they had that , as in the past, needed medical intervention with a licensed doctor and drugs (anti-biotics or other)....

... &&& 000000 ....  smile...  zero.      in five months,  zero infections.    zero,   not per day,  but the whole time.    Not three or four or five per day, as in the past years,  but zero infections per day, for five months.

Immediately I searched online and bought some,  and it worked as they said !  Wonderful,   no side effects,  no toxicity,  no problems with it,  and low cost ... ($17.50 per quart,  diluted to many quarts when used as directed) .....

.... then, what happened?  ....

The usual happened.

The "usual" for governments in cahoots with corporations ,   greedy motives and all,   you know ?