• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

declining age of accountability

• Members

An article found in the Gospel Coalition site reported that two hundred years ago no baptist church would baptize anyone younger than 18.  Ages have declined steadily and now kids as young as eight or ten are being baptized.  We have all heard stories about adults who said their childhood baptisms had more to do with peer pressure than actual conversion and they did not consider them to be valid.  Yet the practice continues.  Kids are not becoming emotionally mature at younger ages; just the opposite.  Many are childish while in college.  

When ten-year-olds are baptized in baptist churches, we must conclude that the difference between catholic churches and baptist churches is only  10 (10 minus zero is 10).  This is not much of a difference and while i understand that an exceptional child might be able to make a serious informed commitment at a young age, most cannot.  This is disturbing.  Presbyterians, like Baptists, do not believe baptism saves, but they go ahead and baptize babies anyway, then later they give the kids a confirmation class and have them standup in front of the church.  They get the process done backwards but they get it done.  Is this any worse than baptizing a ten year old?

Some Grace dispensationalists say that Paul stopped baptizing after he stopped going to the Jews and the gentile church does not need to do that anymore.  Honestly, I would be more comfortable in a church that does not baptize at all than in one that baptizes babies or small children.  

Sorry for the long post but I am curious as to what others will say about child baptisms and the declining age of baptism.  

• Administrators

I prefer to remain cautious in regard to Baptism of the very young, and for all the reasons you stated. It goes even further than what you outlined though. I have first hand knowledge of children being supposedly saved and Baptized as young as five years old.

I would never be so adamant as to insist that a five year old was really saved, simply because with God all things are possible. But still I prefer to remain cautious in these situations.

• Members

Personal experience: Saved at the age of 4; baptized by immersion at the age of 5 (time difference due to a fear of drowning); NEVER any doubts or questions concerning salvation.

Biblical truth: Matthew 18:5-6 - "And whoso shall receive one such little child in my name receiveth me. But whoso shall offend one of these little ones which believe in me, it were better for him that a millstone were hanged about his neck, and that he were drowned in the depth of the sea."

• Members

Scott,

I am not questioning any individual case, but instead the declining average age.  If a person is not old enough to get married, serve in the military or vote, they might not be old enough to choose Christ.

Baptist church distinctives call for a membership limited to believers. Also, those members vote on church issues. Maybe I do not understand how this stuff works.

No doubt i am stepping on some toes with this issue.  However, i am not trying to offend, just to reconcile the declining average age of baptism with what I thought was distinctive about baptists.

• Members
24 minutes ago, JimR said:

Scott,

I am not questioning any individual case, but instead the declining average age.  If a person is not old enough to get married, serve in the military or vote, they might not be old enough to choose Christ.

Baptist church distinctives call for a membership limited to believers. Also, those members vote on church issues. Maybe I do not understand how this stuff works.

No doubt i am stepping on some toes with this issue.  However, i am not trying to offend, just to reconcile the declining average age of baptism with what I thought was distinctive about baptists.

Brother JimR,

I do not feel that my toes are "stepped on," nor do I feel offended.  I only care with deep conviction and commitment that Biblical authority be that which is used to determine such spiritual and church issues.  Thus I would contend that the age for marriage or military service is not at all relevant to the case in question.  God's Word indicates (as you referenced) that Biblical baptism is for genuine believers.  Thus if a younger child can genuinely believe on Christ for eternal salvation, then that younger child is qualified for believer's baptism.  Even so, the real question is whether younger children can genuinely believe on Christ for eternal salvation.  From my perspective the very best person to answer that question is the Lord Jesus Christ Himself, as per the passage that I quoted from Matthew 18:5-6.  Biblical truth is found in the Bible alone. 

Edited by Pastor Scott Markle

• Members
3 hours ago, Pastor Scott Markle said:

Personal experience: Saved at the age of 4; baptized by immersion at the age of 5 (time difference due to a fear of drowning); NEVER any doubts or questions concerning salvation.

Biblical truth: Matthew 18:5-6 - "And whoso shall receive one such little child in my name receiveth me. But whoso shall offend one of these little ones which believe in me, it were better for him that a millstone were hanged about his neck, and that he were drowned in the depth of the sea."

Amen. I was saved at a similar age as well but not baptized until 16. At five I had no doubt that Jesus Died for me and would take me to Heaven if I trusted in him. I would even witness to others about What Christ did and their need to trust in Christ. It was only the doubt of others that could not believe such a young child could have genuine faith that caused me to struggle and doubt my salvation.

• Members

A history of anti-pedobaptism : from the rise of pepdobaptism to A.D. 1609 /

Title: A history of anti-pedobaptism : from the rise of pepdobaptism to A.D. 1609 /
Author: Newman, Albert Henry, 1852-1933
Note: Philadelphia : American Baptist Publication Society, 1902, c1896

Link: page images at HathiTrust

http://onlinebooks.library.upenn.edu/webbin/book/lookupid?key=ha100109721

A free version of This baptist history book is available on google play.  It seemed pretty interesting to me when i read it several years ago.  From the title I suspect the author, if he was alive today, might say that if the person baptized is still seeing a pediatrician, its pedobaptism.

Edited by JimR
Added where to find source

• Moderators
On 12/7/2019 at 10:42 AM, JimR said:

Honestly, I would be more comfortable in a church that does not baptize at all than in one that baptizes babies or small children.    

This is a bit of a straw man... I doubt any here would argue in favour of baptizing babies. The definition of children too young to be baptized can (and is being) debated. IMO, both of the choices mentioned here are equally inappropriate. A church that does not baptize is just as doctrinally in error as one that baptizes babies. 

On 12/7/2019 at 10:42 AM, JimR said:

When ten-year-olds are baptized in baptist churches, we must conclude that the difference between catholic churches and baptist churches is only  10 (10 minus zero is 10).  

10... what? The difference between catholic and baptist churches is good doctrine vs bad. 5, 10, or 20 are just numbers that mean nothing.

I would probably hold toward baptizing children cautiously, and not too young (whatever that means). But let's base this decision on true facts/doctrine and not poor arguments.

• Members
16 hours ago, JimR said:

Scott,

do you baptize solely on profession of faith?  Or do you insist on some education first and evidence of a changed life?

Brother JimR,

What does God's Holy Word instruct me to do in this matter?

Do the New Testament Scriptures indicate that I should baptize "on profession of faith," or that I should "insist on some education first"?  Consider the order that is revealed in the instruction of Matthew 28:19-20 -- "Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost: teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you: and, lo, I am with you always, even unto the end of the world. Amen."

Do the New Testament Scriptures indicate that I should baptize "on profession of faith," or that I should "insist on . . . evidence of a changed life"?  (Note: I would contend that the "evidience of a changed life" is actually the evidence of spiritual growth unto spiritual maturity, NOT the evidence of the new birth.  I would further contend that the evidence of the new birth is simply an evidence that spiritual life exists, NOT an evidence of being transformed in character.  A seed does not provide its first evidence of life when it bears fruit.  Rather, a seed provides its first evidence of life when it germinates and thus begins to grow its first baby root.)

My authority of belief and behavior is GOD'S HOLY WORD.  What it teaches is what I SHOULD do.  What others teach that cannot be found taught in God's Word is simply the doctrines of men according to the authority of men.

1 hour ago, JimR said:

A history of anti-pedobaptism : from the rise of pepdobaptism to A.D. 1609 /

Title: A history of anti-pedobaptism : from the rise of pepdobaptism to A.D. 1609 /
Author: Newman, Albert Henry, 1852-1933
Note: Philadelphia : American Baptist Publication Society, 1902, c1896

Link: page images at HathiTrust

http://onlinebooks.library.upenn.edu/webbin/book/lookupid?key=ha100109721

A free version of This baptist history book is available on google play.  It seemed pretty interesting to me when i read it several years ago.  From the title I suspect the author, if he was alive today, might say that if the person baptized is still seeing a pediatrician, its pedobaptism.

As per my comment above that God's Holy Word is my authority for belief and behavior, I do not find this "evidence" for you position to be relevant.  WHAT DOES GOD'S WORD TEACH?

Yet your postings have raised a question in my mind.  Throughout this thread discussion, thus far you have not referenced a single passage of Scripture.  This moves me to wonder - What is your chosen authority for belief and behavior?  Is it the teaching of God's Word, or is it the traditions of Baptists?  From your postings in this thread discussion thus far (noting that I have not examined any other postings in any other thread discussion to which you have contributed), it appears to me that your chosen authority is the traditions of Baptists.  At least from my perspective that appears to be the authority unto which you have continued to make your appeal.

• Members
56 minutes ago, Salyan said:

This is a bit of a straw man... I doubt any here would argue in favour of baptizing babies. The definition of children too young to be baptized can (and is being) debated. IMO, both of the choices mentioned here are equally inappropriate. A church that does not baptize is just as doctrinally in error as one that baptizes babies. 

Sister Salyan, I do NOT stand in disagreement with your point.  However, I did wish to spring off your thoughts with an important distinction in the matter of this "debate." 

According to God's Word the issue is NOT whether a church does or does not baptize babies because of their age.  Rather, according God's Word the issue IS whether a church does or does not baptize UNBELIEVERS regardless of their age.  In accord with the teaching of God's Word, I will NOT baptize anyone from babyhood unto "ancient-hood" that does not have a testimony of faith in the Lord Jesus Christ as personal Savior.  If a baby cannot or has not believed in Christ, then that baby should not be baptized.  If a young child cannot or has not believed in Christ, then that young child should not be baptized.  If an older child cannot or has not believed in Christ, then that older child should not be baptized.  If a teen child cannot or has not believed in Christ, then that teen child should not be baptized.  If a young adult cannot or has not believed in Christ, then that young adult should not be baptized.  If an older adult cannot or has not believed in Christ, then that older adult should not be baptized.  If an "ancient" (Bible word) adult cannot or has not believed in Christ, then that "ancient" adult should not be baptized.  However, if ANY INDIVIDUAL has placed genuine faith in the Lord Jesus Christ as personal Savior, then that individual IS Biblically qualified to be baptized.

Thus we return to the question - At what age can a child come unto genuine faith/belief in the Lord Jesus Christ as personal Savior?  This is the doctrinal question that needs to be answer FROM THE TEACHING OF GOD'S WORD.

• Members

Sorry, Scott.  I gave you the wrong impression.  I agree with you that evidence of a changed life is not necessary for baptism.  I only asked you about it because this week i listened to an IFB sermon that said that.  

I did not say exceptional kids who have true faith should not be baptized.  I just noted the average age is declining and pointed out that some who were baptized young later decided it was not valid because they did not understand and were going along due to peer pressure. This makes me worry that the trend is not good.  The difference between baptists and others is shrinking.

Romans 10:9 works for me:  that if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved.

Philip baptized the Ethiopian straightaway after he believed.  Baptism is an outward sign of an inward change.  

I hope those scriptures are sufficient foundation for my position.

• Members
1 minute ago, JimR said:

Sorry, Scott.  I gave you the wrong impression.  I agree with you that evidence of a changed life is not necessary for baptism.  I only asked you about it because this week i listened to an IFB sermon that said that.  

I did not say exceptional kids who have true faith should not be baptized.  I just noted the average age is declining and pointed out that some who were baptized young later decided it was not valid because they did not understand and were going along due to peer pressure. This makes me worry that the trend is not good.  The difference between baptists and others is shrinking.

Romans 10:9 works for me:  that if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved.

Philip baptized the Ethiopian straightaway after he believed.  Baptism is an outward sign of an inward change.  

I hope those scriptures are sufficient foundation for my position.

Ahhh, yes.  That does help to clear things between us a little more.  

So then, if your concern is primarily that of a trend, which appears to be revealed as faulty when the children get older, I would contend that the problem is NOT at what age we baptize, BUT is how poorly we are handling the matter of gospel faith with our children.

• Members

Scott, i am glad i am not the person who is responsible for discerning when someone is truly ready for baptism.  

Regarding average age, i realize many of those baptized when they are older still drift away, concluding their conversion was just a delusion.

Maybe everyone who expresses faith and the desire to be baptized should be dunked asap.  Jesus will sort them out at the appropriate time.  If he says he never knew them, then that’s that.

• Members
17 minutes ago, JimR said:

Scott, i am glad i am not the person who is responsible for discerning when someone is truly ready for baptism.  

Indeed, I understand that sentiment.  Yet as a pastor I AM responsible - in two different directions:

1.  On the one hand, I am responsible to obey God's command to guide new born babes in Christ unto the obedience of baptism and to be "baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost."

2.  On the other hand, I am responsible to guard the flock from deceivers and from corruption.  (Certainly not an easy task, yet possible under the guiding and empowering influence of the indwelling of Holy Spirit of God.