• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Trip to Israel

• Moderators

So... apparently I am off to Israel in February!  It's a guided tour, so I won't have much say in where/what to do, but we will have some free time in Tel Aviv & Jerusalem.  Have any of you been there before? What suggestions would you have for doing in my free time, or advice on what to bring/wear/watch out for?

• Members

If it is not part of the tour, the Garden Tomb is worth the time.

But if it is anything like the trip I took, the hotel room with eyes closed will be the best place. So tuckered by the end of the trip.........???

Tel Aviv - it depends where you are staying - we were close to the sea and a cafe strip and shopping area. Stood and watched the sea a while and had a lovely cafe meal.

You will enjoy yourself.

• Members

Oh...… I forgot....

Whilst in Jerusalem, if you have spare time, you MUST MUST MUST go to Yad Vashem Holocaust Museum.

The whole complex is astounding, the main museum walk is exhausting - not because of the length - it is not all that long, but the subject matter is so well presented, but so hard to endure - and I already knew about much of it. But to be confronted in the way they do there is...…. essential.

When you exit the museum section you come out into a lovely serene view over a valley, and a beautiful cool breeze blowing across you - just what is needed to reflect for a while.

But the gardens, the children's walk.... all worthwhile.

Each "flame" in the darkness represents a child taken in the Holocaust, and names are spoken continually of those children.

IMG-20190411-WA0011.jpg

• Members

And Pomegranate juice from the streetside stalls is mmmmmmmmmmmmwonderfuuuuullllllmmmmmmmmm.

Cut, squeezed, and served over ice - as fresh as it comes, and so refreshing..... - although I think at that time it might still be a little chilly there....

And the streetside coffee is yum if you like it strong, but if you have never had Arabic (or Turkish coffee - not quite the same - different spices, but similar...consistency...), just a warning - the last half inch is not meant to be drunk. ?:4_11_3:?