• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Please Pray for My Family's Salvation

• Members

My parents are still together but they have been arguing significantly (I don't live with them anymore).  My father is unsaved, is a secular Jew, and my mother who was raised Catholic has in the past few years informed me of becoming "Christian" has been listening to false preachers like Joel Osteen and Bernardo Stamateas (and his wife Alejandra Stamateas) who don't preach on sin for obvious reasons.  Because I am not fluent in Spanish, I had a feeling in my heart that the Stamateas family is promoting a false gospel and have been looking for confirmation. Yesterday, I found a website that exposed him, which confirmed my suspicion.

I also had a really disconcerting conversation with my mother two days ago where she told me that the Bible says love yourself like you love God.  When I confronted her about this, telling her I read the Bible through every year and my friends (one who is a former pastor) also do, and I don't think any of them can cite a verse of scripture of what she is referring to (with the exception of 2 Ti 3:2).  Then, she became exasperated and said that loving yourself was even part of the Ten Commandments.  I told her countless times to read scripture, even sending her links to A Traves de La Biblia (a translation of McGee's ThrutheBible) so at least she can be weaned as a baby Christian.  I asked her one or two years ago if she asked Jesus to forgive her and she said yes, but it is really hard for me to believe she's saved when she doesn't read nor want to read the Bible (even though she could read Osteen's books) and I don't see a new life in her.  Again, it is not my place to judge.  Please pray for the salvation of both of them.  I had tried to witness to my dad years ago too, especially when he got cancer in 2015 (I believe) which he rapidly recovered from.    I've been very discouraged about them because I don't see how my father can get saved if my mom who professes to be Christian is constantly accusing him of things like cheating or spying on her phone (I think she's paranoid, possibly pathological) if he's always on the defense.  I feel like there would be more hope for him if she did not leave such a bad testimony.  My dad told me a few days ago that all he wants is peace.

I apologize that this is of very personal nature, but since you don't know my name, nor theirs, I do not consider it gossip.  I am just at the point where I feel like there is no hope for them.  Sometimes, it is very hard for me to pray for them consistently because of the discouragement.

• Members

It's not always easy to witness to family.  I take issue with one of your statements, we are to judge, by the Word of God, not based on our opinions.  A saved person has a hunger for God's Word.  The Osteens of the world let people honor God with their lips and keep their hearts far from him for they love the things of this world more than the Creator.

Keep at it, not all the time but as the Holy Spirit leads and pray every day for their salvation.

I had an uncle who lead a life of debauchery and reveled in it and was most vicious towards me when I attempted to share the gospel with him.  Then one day he died, and on his death bed, just before he lost his speech, the Lord sent an evangelist to his hospital room and he accepted Christ as his personal Savior and moments later went home to be with the Lord.  I was one of many who planted and watered and God gave the increase.